Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Quattro f4 Imaging Newtonian telescopes

Perhaps a key feature of keeping the weight down will be to ditch the guidescope and go for an OAG. I already do this (and swear by them) but it is tricky to get the spacing right with a coma corrector. However, it IS doable, even with a filter wheel and OAG, given the right kit. I already know I can get the spacing with my setup, so all should be well ;)

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are different optical systems. The 190MN uses a spherical mirror and a front corrector whereas the Quattro uses a faster parabolic primary with a coma corrector (purchased seperately). We haven't seen or tested a Quattro yet but my gut feeling is, when comparing a 190MN and a Quattro, you are trading some field flatness for increased speed and aperture.

Regarding what makes the Quattro an astrograph: Compared to a regular Newtonian the Quattro has a faster f-ratio for shorter exposure times and a larger secondary mirror for increased field illumination. The focal point extends further out of the focuser so cameras can achieve focus and the focuser is 'beefed up' to carry the weight associated with imaging kit. And the tubes are stiffer to reduce flexure. I think that about covers it :D

Threads discussing the pros/cons of Newtonians, refracators and catadioptrics for imaging will never reach a definitive conclusion because they all have something to offer. But for those in the Newtonian camp, these Quattros are very special indeed :hello2:

HTH,

Steve

Another dim question Steve, but what are the main disadvantages in using a dedicated imaging scope such as this for visual? Is there an issue bringing certain eyepieces to focus or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Ta

Col

Heheh. I now sense my TS "F4" was overkill for video imaging, but... :hello2:

(I see GSO make optional, smaller secondary mirrors though!)

It might have been sensible to recall the collimation sweet spot goes as the cube of F-number <G> Even an F-5 might be less challenging? On the other hand, there is the NICE "short-tube" aspect, albeit with the inevitable refractor-like side extension! And, had mine been a "Quattro", I could've called it "Suzi"? :D

I have a Baader MPCC, and I almost clicked to purchase the f/4 scope. Hmm, I think I'll hold off until I know the weight difference between the steel & CF versions.

Mike, in my opinion the weight is not the key thing here. This scope will need extremely high mechanical integrity - ie the focuser must be in the right place and point in the right direction! This has been an issue on the Mak Newts onto which many owners fit additional tube rings for bracing. A CF tube should keep everythng firm under load and help avoid droop at the heavily loaded focuser. It will also avoid expansion issues which, again, might quickly throw you out of focus since the plane is so shallow at F4.

Olly

Hopefully will arrive before we get the next cloudy spell for weeks on end :).

Have a 10 inch CF model on order, should be interesting to compare results against my FLT132, hoping the exposure times can be reduced substantially for NB images.

Have read lots about requiring a coma corrector. Is this a must ?

currently using a 4022 based camera so a bit smaller than SLR chip.

I confess I am surprised at this latest delay, we are hoping they are taking the under-promise-over-deliver approach so might actually see them arrive sooner. Fingers crossed!

There is a storm brewing in this industry (and some others) that will almost certainly result in reduced availability of a number of optical instruments. I'll post more in a separate thread later today or tomorrow. Please be assured that we are working very hard to ensure a steady supply of kit but there are times when it feels like pushing treacle uphill!

Also, please bear in mind that we try to bring news to you as soon as we hear it. Normally retailers keep details to themselves until the kit is actually ready for dispatch. This does mean however that we suffer the embarrassment of revised ETAs as the sands shift under manufacturers, importers and distributors.

HTH,

Steve

We can confirm the 8” (carbon fibre and steel) and the 10” (carbon-fibre and steel) will be available "early August".

Thank-you for your patience.

Steve

At least this way we get a chance at the perseids this year......how thoughtful of Synta :)

Have read lots about requiring a coma corrector. Is this a must ?

currently using a 4022 based camera so a bit smaller than SLR chip.

Depends how picky you are about star shapes, but at f4, if you dont use one, you will get elongated stars over the majority of the image with that chip, just a smallish central area will be nice and round, by the time you reach the edge of the frame they will be torpedo shaped.

Am a little annoyed to say the least about the delay :) I know it isn't your fault Steve.

There is a storm brewing in this industry (and some others) that will almost certainly result in reduced availability of a number of optical instruments. I'll post more in a separate thread later today or tomorrow.

Steve

Anymore on this Steve?

TJ thanks for the advice on the coma corrector, never owned a newtonian scope. Will get one with the scope once there is a confirmed delivery date. The delay is frustrating, hope its available early next month as planned.

Thanks Olly re: advice on CF model.

Does anyone have details on the weight or the focusers of these scopes? Rumours suggest that the focusers are smooth and tight, lacking slop. However I'd like to hear something more solid than that!

I really want an 8" one, but I'm going to hold fire for now as the date has been slipping for the past eight months (not FLO's fault of course..).

Clear skies,

Mike

I really want an 8" one, but I'm going to hold fire for now as the date has been slipping for the past eight months (not FLO's fault of course..).

Clear skies,

Mike

Any reason for 8" over 10" Mike?

I do wonder if there's some figure (dimension) that imaging or visual observation could survive (initially) without coma correction? A half-inch (video) chip? A 10mm eyepiece? None? <G> I rather like my 8" TS/GSO - It's nicely compact / light weight. I sense a 10" F4 starts to get a bit big for yer typical 6' wide observatory. And a bit heavy for an HEQ5. :)

From what I gather the 10" CF is lighter than the steel 8", so if you mount is ok with the 8" steel it should handle the CF10" no problem, the extra 2" is always handy :D

But the 10" mirror must weigh a LOT?

I was thinking of the steel 8", going off the weight of the 200P DS (the f/4 should weigh less) - but a CF 10"? On a HEQ5? Sounds like stretching the limit to me.

I may see about stretching the budget to a CF 8"...

But I think I'll wait to see what everyone else is making of them first. The continual delays make me wonder if there's something up with the quality of the scopes. (But what about the German chap who got his early?).

Mike

Archived