Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Quattro f4 Imaging Newtonian telescopes

Time to dust off the standard FLO "This product is for testing only and no money has changed hands" letter for skeptical spouses :)

James

Hi James,

Get me one of those and I'll put my order for an ahem, test scope in :-)

All the best!

Mike

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking forward to this arriving, however the Mrs has just sent me a text, she's found this thread! :) Hello Babe, need any handbags?? Shoes??? :)

Hello Mrs TJ :-) (it was nice to meet you and your lovely family at Kelling Heath).

As it happens, TJ told me that he'd do all the housework for a year... isn't that right Tim?

Tim?

Tim?

*user has been banned from SGL*

:-)

Housework!! Hehehe, tried that once, didn't like it.

I'll be leaving for home in about 45 mins, if nobody hears from me again you'll know why.

Btw, what does the mirror cell end of the tube look like? Anybody got/seen a pic? EDIT: scrub that, seen it :)

That German chap who got his early and posted the photographs is being asked for a live webcast review on uStream :-)

Any Brits volunteering to do something similar? I might, actually if the mood takes me. One could review quite a few pieces of kit that way :)

All the best,

Mike

I just paid for mine :) Will now start my windowsill vigil looking out for the delivery van!!

Dont know if you'll be doing an F4 bahtinov mask Steve, I have ordered the F5 version which should be fine.

Tim

Dont know if you'll be doing an F4 bahtinov mask Steve, I have ordered the F5 version which should be fine.

Thank-you for your order Tim, and you Nadeem :)

We already have Bahtinov focus masks for an 8" f4 but we'll ask Keith to produce some for the 10" f4 model too. They will probably be ready for dispatch around the time the telescopes arrive. I'll edit your order accordingly Tim, the price is the same :)

Steve

Regarding the focuser of these; can a Skywatcher auto focuser be used (or made to be used) with them?

Mike - I have no doubt that your auto focusser could be made to work with a Quattro - please see my post here;

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/145334-skywatcher-autofocusser-fitting-william-optic-zs70-moonlight-newtonian.html

I know the thread doesn't relate to the specific focusser you're talking about but it shows what you can do with a 20p piece of Aluminium sheet......

Hope this helps

Steve

Mike - I have no doubt that your auto focusser could be made to work with a Quattro - please see my post here;

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/145334-skywatcher-autofocusser-fitting-william-optic-zs70-moonlight-newtonian.html

I know the thread doesn't relate to the specific focusser you're talking about but it shows what you can do with a 20p piece of Aluminium sheet......

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi Steve,

I love the work that you've done; in fact, I admire anyone who can make telescope modifications using more than the materials I am competent with. That is to say, selotape, glue, scissors and blue tac.

Can I make the focuser work with those items? :)

Any news on the actual weight of the 8" CF OTA yet?

I'd like to know the weight difference too.

selotape, glue, scissors and blue tac.

Can I make the focuser work with those items?

Mike

Well, I reckon that if the card is really stiff and the glue is really strong and the blutak is really fresh and the scissors are really sharp..........

Seriously - have a go with Ally sheet - it's a doddle to work with - and the sense of acheivement is brilliant..and we all need that from time to time ...especially with the rubbish weather. Go on, go on, go on, go on.......

Do you have a Baader MPCC Nadeem? Should work well with the F4 scopes. If I get mine before you i'll do a star test to the corners for you ;) (assuming we ever get a clear night again :D )

So given Synta are making 3 flavours of this OTA:

200mm Steel or Carbonfibre tube F:800mm

250mm Steel or Carbonfibre tube F:1000mm

300mm Steel or Carbonfibre tube F:1200mm

I think most obviously the CF versions are going to be the most popular but which size will be the most popular? The 300mm CF will be the same weight as the steel 250PX we have now and it works very well on the EQ6 so will people go for the 300mm as aperture fever takes hold?

Be interesting to see what people are going to buy ;)

So given Synta are making 3 flavours of this OTA:

200mm Steel or Carbonfibre tube F:800mm

250mm Steel or Carbonfibre tube F:1000mm

300mm Steel or Carbonfibre tube F:1200mm

I think most obviously the CF versions are going to be the most popular but which size will be the most popular? The 300mm CF will be the same weight as the steel 250PX we have now and it works very well on the EQ6 so will people go for the 300mm as aperture fever takes hold?

Be interesting to see what people are going to buy :o

I'd have bought a 12" CF, but Steve intimated that it would be some time before they are available. If the 10" works out well I will likely swap to a 12" in the end.

And then when they eventually bring out a 20" CF RC I'll go for that ;):D:)

Archived