Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad and/or Finderscope

Hi,

I'm looking to get a finder of some sort for my Meade 5000 127, and have read some great reviews about the Telrad.

I'm confused though, does the Telrad replace the normal finderscope or is it necessary to have both?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

I have both (although i have the Rigel Quickfinder) but tend to use only the Rigel most of the time. The optical finder i find crucial when hunting faint fuzzies and need to see the close by stars for star hopping. More so from home where large areas of the sky have no stars visible to the naked eye, so the Rigel (or Telrad) could only put me in the rough area.

An example is M27. I can't see any stars in that region of the sky. I know roughly where it should be and the Rigel can get me to that rough area of the sky. But in the optical finder, not only can i see all the stars but also M27 itself.....nailed instantly.

The Telrad is a zero power pointing device that displays a three ring target onto the starry sky. Just like my pic! Everything is right side up and you see the sky exactly the way you see it with the naked eye. It's a good idea to fine tune, but I find that the Bullseye almost exactly takes me to the desired spot in the sky where I can use an EP and just focus in to where I want. :)

I use both Telrad and right angled finders.

Like others I initially place with Telrad and (unless it's a naked eye target or the guide stars are naked eye) I then use the finder to tune in.

things like the ring nebula, planets etc I can generally just use the Telrad.

I have to say that when I am using a scope with no Telrad I really struggle now even to find the moon believe it or not! with the Telrad it's as quick as turning the scope.

Archived