I just cant decide! Please help make my mind up!!

Im coming to the point where il have the funds in my bank come next pay day to buy my first telescope, after a long six month save up i should have a budget of around £400,

I had set my sights on a SW 200p Dob or the SW 200p Explorer on a EQ5 but cant decide between the 2, then i ask myself the question do i need a 200p as a beginner? Should i just buy a 150p on a EQ3, I actualy finished work early today and i had a drive in to Sale Manchester to a telescope shop there to try help settle my decision and after talking to the guy in there decided the 200p explorer was what im Getting but now im back at home reading this site and the reviews on the 200p dob im back were i started again! I dont want to regret buying the wrong scope after working do hard to save up.

Cheers for taking the time to read my post hopefully you guys who actualy own either of these scopes can help me make my mind up.

Mark.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A dob (as big as you can afford) will give you maximum bang for your money. Moving a scope around manually on an Eq mount I believe is using an Eq for the wrong job, go alt/az if you must have a manual mount or stick with the dob and put the money into aperture and extras listed below.

If you intend to get into imaging soon and have plenty of funds on the horizon then a good Eq makes sense but they tend start at about the HEQ5 level.

Big dob, 10x50 or 16x70 bins, Telrad, laser pointer and stellarium and you'll see more for your efforts and cash. :)

Good idea to check out the for-sale section (don't think you have enough posts yet), if you can't see the for-sale section I could let you know if anything comes up that might be of interest, also check the astro-buy-sell web site.

The Dob means you can haul it outside immediatly and start viewing. But what you have now is what it remains as.

The 200 on an EQ mount means learning to set up an EQ but you can add tracking so that targets remain in the field of view longer. So bit more learning and if you opt for motors more money eventually.

There have been a few posts from people who find that locating things is not as easy as made out, and that was with a dobsonian. So it is not a case of aim at the sky and things are magically in view, they aren't.

Buying a scope is the start, they all have learning curves and if you don't get one it can be difficult.

Both the options you say have advantages and disadvantages. Will say that with the light nights we are getting you may not get a great deal of viewing in. So you may have more time to think about things in practical terms then you think.

think about second hand as well. will get you more for your money.

and as for the eq mount - its not as big-a problem as some think. you dont have to polar align if you dont want to, and manually moving the scope comes naturally, in fact id say that when youre looking through the ep it feels more natural that an alt/az.

If you really want to buy new and have around £400 then consider this:

1. 8" - 200p on Eq5 £400-£415 depending on dealer

2. 10" - 250PX dob (£445 @ FLO & Sherwoods, £439 @ Harrison), that's 56% more light gathering capability than the 200p for almost the same price.... No competition... :)

Many thanks for advice guys, so let me get this rite and i appriciate your patients with my silly questions but if i was to buy a sw exlporer on a EQ5 mount its not just a case of mounting the scope and when it comes you using it you just have to point and view? So It has to be all aligned? Wheres the dob is more quicker set up and easyer to use? I know i could prob save a few quid and i did give it a thought but i think Im gona buy from new. They guy in that showroom today was pretty helpful, i think if i would of had my joint account card on me i may of walked away with a scope today lol!

Cheers again,

Mark.

The Eq doesn't have to be exactly aligned (it does have to be balanced each time you mount the tube) but manually tracking will be easier if it is close to aligned. BTW Opticstar don't appear to stock the Skywatcher dobs only the more expensive Flextube types. Flextube would be good if you intend to travel often to dark sites.

Many thanks for advice guys, so let me get this rite and i appriciate your patients with my silly questions but if i was to buy a sw exlporer on a EQ5 mount its not just a case of mounting the scope and when it comes you using it you just have to point and view? So It has to be all aligned? Wheres the dob is more quicker set up and easyer to use? I know i could prob save a few quid and i did give it a thought but i think Im gona buy from new. They guy in that showroom today was pretty helpful, i think if i would of had my joint account card on me i may of walked away with a scope today lol!

Cheers again,

Mark.

you are talking seconds difference in set up time if you want to point and go with a newt on an eq. it does not have to be polar aligned. polar alignment means postioning your mount with polaris (the north). this DOES NOT have to be done to observe.

I hate seeing posts saying an eq mount is difficult, or that a beginner would benefit form an alt/az - it really is not difficult, and i think alot of people have not used one because if they had then they would know this and therefore not say it.

one other difference the mounts which is worth a mention is that if you buy a dob, almost all of your money is going into the mirrors, whereas if you buy an eq mounted newt, around half your money is going into the mount, therefore your aperture per penny is going to be less.

if you think you may want to image the moon or the planets, then a newt on a sturdy eq will be better than a dob - a dob isnt much use for imaging.

One other point - if you start out with a large aperture dob, then future purcahse of a smaller aperture newt will be a dissapointment.

whereas if the situation is reversed - you start with getting the basics of observing, with the option of some imaging, and then you purchase a larger aperture dob and are happy because you can see a bigger saturn/jupiter etc etc.

I'm a beginner and although i couldn't afford the eq5 the eq3/2 is fab. I have got it to track/guide and have dabbled with a bit of astrophotography. Using the eq makes sense as it follows the sky thus it is more logical.

Yes it takes a bit of practice to understand and set up to start with but soon it takes minutes. If you haven't got patience then Astronomy is not a good idea.

I would go for the 200p or even 150p but with eq5 get the motors and track objects for hours (cloud permitting) Dont be fooled by the (this has more light gathering power......etc) Enjoy the hobby and prepare to have to learn.

HTH

Jamie

The Eq doesn't have to be exactly aligned (it does have to be balanced each time you mount the tube) but manually tracking will be easier if it is close to aligned. BTW Opticstar don't appear to stock the Skywatcher dobs only the more expensive Flextube types. Flextube would be good if you intend to travel often to dark sites.

Yer i did actualy ask him about the 200p dob and he did say they dont sell them only the flextube, but some pretty interesting points there that i never thought of. I doubt anytime in the near future i will be doin photography with my scope but for some reason i like the idea and style of the EQ mount......just writing this using my iphone why trying to look at the moon n saturn just up to the right thinkin if only i could have bought my scope now and have it all done with haha! Cheers again guys, clear skys tonight make the most of them hey!

People seem to be able to have a lot of fun with their scopes whether EQ or dob mounted. Personally I prefer the dob / alt-azimuth approach but I've owned and used EQ's as well and they have worked fine. Having a driven RA axis can make viewing at high power more relaxing.

There is a difference between the 200P dob and the 200P EQ and that is the focal ratio - the dob is F/6 and the EQ version F/5. F/6 is a little easier to collimate (the "sweet spot" is more generous) and a little more tolerant of low cost eyepieces. Don't know if that makes a difference to you but I thought I'd mention it :)

There's no choice here really - either scope is a good starter kit. They do work differently however. The dob is an alt/az mount which moves up/down and left/right. Dead easy to set up and use straight off - as with all scopes the views will get better as it cools down over an hour or so. The EQ isn't difficult to set up - the time difference is seconds so not a biggie. However it moves in RA and Dec which is more naturally in tune with the movements of Earth and sky.

If you're not doing photography then rough polar alignment of an EQ is fine for tracking. You just point the mount at the pole star by setting it due north and elevated to the lattitude for your location. Then you swing it round to any object on the RA/Dec axes, lock the clutches, and track away in RA only with odd tweaks on Dec.

I tend towards the eq mounted scopes for beginners cos it teaches you about Earths tilt and how objects move. But I agree the aperture of a larger ota on a dob base will afford deeper views into space. You still have to learn where stuff is with either scope and both still need collimation. Just astronomy essentials really.

So the choice is yours - you'll be well pleased with either :)

Good Morning,

Cheers for all your help lads really, both scopes seem to get good recommendations wich is what was givin me a head ach between them but im sure come end of the month when the funds are there wich ever one i do choosr i will be happy, as soon as i do purchase either one i will let you guys know (im sure il have a few questions upon using it anyway)

Many thanks again for everyones help & advice,

Mark.

I've had a 200 before and it a pleasure to have it. I think with an EQ mount you are bound to learn more about moving it around to find objects in the process of which you learn more about things like equatorial coordinates, RA/Dec, etc - all that is fun in its own way.

If you do decide on a Dob with good aperture I am sure you will not be disappointed, there is one device which no one has mentioned for you to consider as a an add on option for the future and that is the special Dob tracking platforms that are now becoming available as an alternative to the EQ mount :)

This may be a really daft question but i think i have not fully understood the term "mount" when looking at pictures of scopes!

I had the idea in my head that the word mount when described when looking was the whole part that the scope sits on but reading a catalogue ive just got correct me if im wrong but the "mount" is just the white part the scope connects to and then you still have to also buy the "tripod" that the "mount" sits on???? That has just put my set up up to another £100, so what i would of been quoted £398.00 for SW 200p explorer and EQ5 mount is now £490 because i also have to buy the "tripod" along with the scope and "mount"

Man this is hard work haha!!

Is this rite?? Cheers

Mark.

If the bits of a scope are broken down into constituent parts it's normally mentioned specifically. You'll often see OTA's (optical tube assembly) sold separately as well as "mounts" which usually include a tripod. But they can all be purchased separately - especially second hand.

The commercially sold telescopes mostly include a mount and tripod and will be accompanied by a picture. If there's no picture then you just have to ask to confirm what's included.

Note - dobsonian scopes allways include a newtonian scope (ota) and a dobsonian mount (without which it's pretty useless) unless otherwise specified. But do make sure you ask if in any doubt :)

Thank god! I was tryin to figuer out away of tellin the mrs that the bedroom wont be gettin decorated for a another month because i need to put another £100 towards my scope lol!! So Im reading the OVL catalogue now n noticed some pics n descriptions just say EQ5 mount and some say EQ5 mount and tripod....whats that all about?? Also the guy wrote down a quote for me of £398 for the SW 200p explorer on a EQ5 mount...£255 for the scope and £143 for the mount yet on there website it shows a pic of the EQ5 on its on and the description sats EQ5 and tripod £255, thats what has confusssed me .com!!!

Thanks

Mark.

That's the sort of ad where I'd be tempted to ask questions of the seller. Are you looking at new or pre-used? If you can include a link to the site I'll give it a look for you.

Skywatcher seem to do their scopes these days with a choice of mounts (except the more basic models which come mostly complete). I would recommend you look to FLO for your first scope - they are very experienced and helpfull and they do the best prices available and/or price match wherever possible.

Here's a good example of a complete kit fully specified. But if you look round their site you'll also see all the "options" based scopes.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 GOTO

(there's a 200P on manual EQ5 link at bottom of page)

Give them a call though - they'll help you pick the best combination to suit your needs. :)

Mark,

When I was first researching which scope to get. Kim provided me with excellent and invaluable advice. He helped me decide which one to get based on my preferences and use, to which I have no regrets... :icon_salut:Cheers Kim!

Archived