Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Earl's Build

Earl

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was amazed at how round I managed to cut the original hole, one of those... wow moments.. obviously it didnt last long lol and the balance was restored :hello2:
That's the way it goes, isn't it?!

It will probably take about 5 years for any rotting to take hold, as it is structural ply and is treated, besides we will move by then also. so its only has a limited life span anyhow, hence why im not worried about it.

I recall making the same point at the start of your build. Can't really see the point of the box at all. I accept your point about moving house before it becomes a real issue but, from a logical angle, it would've made for a sturdier structure if you'd chucked the concrete straight into the hole. Oh well, bit late now. If you're happy with it, at the end of the day that's what matters. :hello2:

Did you back-fill the hole, by the way?

I was amazed at how round I managed to cut the original hole, one of those... wow moments.. obviously it didnt last long lol and the balance was restored :hello2:

If you wanted to neaten things up you could always cut a new square piece (or circle) with a smaller central hole to slip over your pillar?

If you wanted to neaten things up you could always cut a new square piece (or circle) with a smaller central hole to slip over your pillar?

Yeah i was thinking that

Ah a bit more progress

Tonight I had to endure cutting an 8 x 4 sheet of 19mm Ply my hand as my last jigsaw blade snapped.. sods law in action, or stupidity on my part ill let you decide :).

Base is finished and the pier has had a test assembly.

Number 2 son Ethan helped out today so he is modelling the pier :(

Ah a bit more progress

Tonight I had to endure cutting an 8 x 4 sheet of 19mm Ply my hand as my last jigsaw blade snapped.. sods law in action, or stupidity on my part ill let you decide :).

Base is finished and the pier has had a test assembly.

Number 2 son Ethan helped out today so he is modelling the pier :(

Ethan looks proud as punch - but better make sure he doesn't fall down that big hole :)

Base looking good and solid.

Your build is coming on very nicely :)

I got my jigsaw out yesterday evening to cut a round hole in the pier base shuttering to take the bottom part of my pier casing, only to find a total lack of blades :( Luckily I was just in time to order some more from Amazon to be delivered today.

Ethan looks proud as punch - but better make sure he doesn't fall down that big hole :(

Base looking good and solid.

Ill insist on a safety harness next time LOL :)

Im very pleased with the base, a little timber warping but nothing to worry about its heavy, does not move and if it takes my weight im on a winner LOL

Your build is coming on very nicely :)

I got my jigsaw out yesterday evening to cut a round hole in the pier base shuttering to take the bottom part of my pier casing, only to find a total lack of blades :) Luckily I was just in time to order some more from Amazon to be delivered today.

Cheers :(

Thankfully i think i wont be needing my jigsaw from now on.

Tonight ill be building the Shed bottom frame.

This evening I have been build up parts of the shed, the base and supports, tomorrow ill finish all the prefabrication parts, going for Sunday to build it, and start on inner roof supports

I didnt have a final plan for the roof as I was leaving that to my Dad to work out.

However I do have some ideas rattling around in my head which involve yet again cutting a 8x2 sheet into two 8 x 1 and using those on either end of the roof, with an over hang on the outside of around 4 inches, now im not sure how stable it will be at this point, and until i do it i cant really work out if it will need supports also on the ends, however as the shed is designed to square up with the roof and these will be stronger than the roof although not going along the long sides they will tie all the corners together......

once i get to that point ill work out the rest....

humm the over hang might be to much, ill ponder of the next few days.

My only concern is that without additional supporting framework the structure will be very flimsy without the roof. These sheds rely on the roof section tying all the sides to form a square tight structure.

My only concern is that without additional supporting framework the structure will be very flimsy without the roof. These sheds rely on the roof section tying all the sides to form a square tight structure.

yeah this is also rattling aound in my head

after these planks are attached I have some 10 foot lengths of timber that can also go along the rear, not sure about the front as the door might be an issue.... fitting the door is tonight's job so i can see what i have to play with , the front is the weaker length for sure

Archived