NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Earl's Build

Earl

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My only concern is that without additional supporting framework the structure will be very flimsy without the roof. These sheds rely on the roof section tying all the sides to form a square tight structure.

Yeah- could be a bit flimsy, thats why I initially thought you were attaching panels to a pre-built frame. My approach (hopefully starting this weekend) will be to throw up a strong wooden frame and then screw panels to it.

Yeah- could be a bit flimsy, thats why I initially thought you were attaching panels to a pre-built frame. My approach (hopefully starting this weekend) will be to throw up a strong wooden frame and then screw panels to it.
That sounds good :)

The TSO was very simple....other than the tin shed there were a couple of lengths of 50mm sq timber which stiffened the shed and even provided the rails - KISS

There's some pictures on another thread.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/147713-tso2-belgium.html

If the demand is there I can hunt down the original images.

The Putlands Observatory made an interesting read :( Only fault I could see was that the floor was on the same concrete as the pier base with possible vibration transfer issues. One wonders if this is in fact an issue :) Not risking it myself though - floor supports at least a couple of feet from the pier base with no connection other than all being on the same planet ;)

I thought the door latches for holding the roof shut were a good idea. :) Haven't yet decided on how I'm doing mine - not a priority ATM.

I have managed to get both runner sides of the roof done. The difference to the rigidity of the shed is amazing there is no movement along the sides just a slight wobble along the longer front and back if the weather holds I will sort those tomorrow evening.

Rain has been a pain this evening for me but I got what I wanted to get done today, tomorrow I start assembling the roof, this will allow me to work out exactly where ill be mounting the rails that the casters and the rest goes.

My only concern with those is that if fitted between the roof and wall they pull down on the wheels, which could lead to flats depending on the type of wheels you use. Mounting these clamps at an angle would get over that somewhat, but then it might not stop the roof moving as the catch might become undone. I followed others and used standard turnbuckles, one on either side. The amount of downward force can be controlled and they prevent the roof moving in any direction.

Having said that, it does look as if you can adjust the amount of downward pressure those clamps apply, at that price if you find it causes problems it hardly matters if you have to change the way you clamp it down if it proves problematical.

I have some turnbuckles sorted for mine, exactly where and how is to be decided.

If the weather holds... iffy today by the looks of things although last night i stuck my head out and saw stars in between cloud, so there still there ! Ill be building up the metal sections of the roof and working out how to attach it to a frame.

Earl,

Why did you go for such a wide top plate? It seems to encroach on the inner space a lot?

I just used a length of 2" x 2" with a central support in the middle of each side wall...

The other thing you need to watch is the length of that U clamp. Most are designed to have the two halves quite close. As most of us seem to use the 50mm rubber wheels from screwfix the length of this U shape clamp needs to be approx 110mm

I've just spoken to a very helpful lady at WDS, they can offer a suitable alternative

WDS-4047-Horizontal-Latch-Clamp.jpg

However at £26 +VAT each I think I'll stick with Turnbuckles :)

post-23388-133877630472_thumb.jpg

However at £26 +VAT each I think I'll stick with Turnbuckles :)
For too expensive for me! I haven't decided what I'll be using yet. I won't have that big gap as my wheels will be mounted between two pieces of wood and the gap will be for clearance of the ali channel only, so just over an inch. If I find the roll off section structure rigid enough I may only use one channel and have the other side rolling directly on the wood or with a flat piece of ali.

Archived