Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Earl's Build

Earl

I'm sure your approach will work more than adequately, and I wish you every success, but, in my opinion, I think you're missing the point a little. Even if you pack the backfill very very well, with time the wood will rot and may destabilise the structure. As I say, unlikely to be a problem in practical terms, but if going to the trouble of digging a big hole....

That said, for a lot of people who build pier support blocks, I think many are over-engineered for what they want to do with their scopes. Not sure what you plan to use your scope for but I'm sure it'll be OK.

Just my two-penneth. Good luck.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure your approach will work more than adequately, and I wish you every success, but, in my opinion, I think you're missing the point a little. Even if you pack the backfill very very well, with time the wood will rot and may destabilise the structure. As I say, unlikely to be a problem in practical terms, but if going to the trouble of digging a big hole....

That said, for a lot of people who build pier support blocks, I think many are over-engineered for what they want to do with their scopes. Not sure what you plan to use your scope for but I'm sure it'll be OK.

Just my two-penneth. Good luck.

Very fair points and thanks for sharing :)

This obsy is been built with a 5 year life span in mind, as we intend to buy our own place then, then of course.. build number two LOL.

Pier is roughly attached now, I need to tidy up and pop some extra washers on. before i tighten and get a better level (the pier head is adjustable so im not worried if its a little out).

I would have mounted the pier direct to the concrete I wouldn't have left the wood in between...

Leave the sides on if you want to but not the top... small movements in the wood will be "maginifed" by the length of the pier and mount... and wood "certainly" moves...

Peter...

Have to agree with Pete, by comparison wood is very spongy, and somewhat defeats the object of going to all the trouble of providing a strong solid concrete base on which to fix the pier

The action really kicks of on Tuesday / Wednesday next week when my Dad, the man with "da skillz" comes over.

He says two days to do it, I say three.

If he proves me wrong im more than happy :)

As it was not raining this evening, although threatening to any second well i did feel a few spots, I have made up one half of the base, and put it in place on the concrete blocks.

I have covered it with a tarpaulin as the clouds do not look good at all now, ill take a shot tomorrow.

Doing so has showed me I need a few more concrete blocks, which my brother in law has plenty left over from his extension, so they will be with me in the next day or two.

I must admit I don't enjoy this part, timber is not my friend! but I have gotten a good grip with the saw now at least we don't argue any more HAHA

Well my update.

My Dad is not to well so ill be doing this pretty much by myself now, my brother in law is going to help out so this is really going to be a Laurel and Hardy affair from this point.

Wish me luck !

Built the basic frame for the other half yesterday evening, this evening if my blocks arrive today, ill finish the noggin and possible start laying the ply flooring.

Getting a feel for the size of this now, plenty of room :hello2:

Looking like you are making good progress now Earl. Sorry to have to say I agree with the others and am totally baffled by the wooden box :hello2::D. I fear you may regret such a decision but hey we live by our mistakes. Think it of knocking a nail into a nut. Sure it will hold tight for a while but never as good as a bolt would. Or affixing a model plane together. You wouldn't place a slip of paper between the two parts your going to glue? Either way I hope it dosen't turn into the worse case scenario for you and all goes well. Look forward to some more updates.

Just a thought before you concrete that box in there.

The wood will rot away leaving you with an 18mm gap all the way around your pier base which could allow it to move about.

Granted it will take some time but do you rearly want to be digging up your obs in the future to rectify this?

Just a thought before you concrete that box in there.

The wood will rot away leaving you with an 18mm gap all the way around your pier base which could allow it to move about.

Granted it will take some time but do you rearly want to be digging up your obs in the future to rectify this?

It will probably take about 5 years for any rotting to take hold, as it is structural ply and is treated, besides we will move by then also. so its only has a limited life span anyhow, hence why im not worried about it.

Well the floor is going down and another oops LOL

well i should of used my first measure for the hole for the pier not the remeasure but no biggy

I think i might call it "Pier Hole Phobos"

Don't worry, you're not the only one having problems today! I succeeded in backing the tractor plus mixer full of concrete into the hole! :D I ended up three-quarter filling a hole I hadn't intended and managed to get both tractor and cement mixer out of the hole. No damage done - except to my pride if anyone was watching the webcam! :hello2:

Archived