NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nagler 17T4: First light with SN2011dh

Having received a Nagler 17T4 from Jake (jnc71106) last Monday I was bracing myself for a week or more of filthy weather, but the free vouchers for cloud rain or sleet included in the package according to Jake did not work properly :rolleyes:. Otherwise the 17T4 arrived in perfect order, without any blemish or sign of use. My first impression in daylight with the 80mm APO were great, crisp images showing every dewdrop on the rose petals at the back of our garden.

Last night the weather was beautifully clear, so I first had a go at viewing the moon. Seeing the whole moon at 120x magnification in the C8 is awesome, and I was immediately struck by the ease with which I could view the whole FOV, compared to the Meade 14mm UWA. The latter also shows the whole moon (at 145x), but the whole FOV is not seen as easily, due to the smaller eye relief and eye lens. The Nagler appeared to be a bit sharper than the UWA, but this may simply be due to the difference in magnification.

I then turned to Saturn, quite low in the sky, but with brief moments of very good seeing. Again, the image was very sharp during those fleeting moments. I switched to the Radian 10mm, which showed more detail (obviously).

I waited till 0:30, and turned to M51, just visible with averted vision in the 70mm finder. At 120x, the view through the 17mm T4 was best, compared to the 22mm T4 and Paragon 40mm. The darker background showed up the galaxy better than either of the others. I have the feeling that the 17mm is ever so slightly sharper than the 22mm, but the difference is marginal. Maybe the increased contrast due to the darker background gives this impression.

As my eye adapted to the dark, I suddenly started seeing a faint point source, flickering in and out of averted vision. Taking the line running through both cores as a reference, SN2011dh appeared as a stellar object, on a line running from the main core to the SN at an angle of about 110-120 degrees with respect to the reference. The distance to the main core was roughly a third of that between the cores. A magnitude 13.4 foreground star was also spotted. This was distinctly fainter than SN2011dh, which I estimate to be 13.0.

I tried spotting it with the 40mm (no dice) and the 22mm (much more difficult). Returning to the 17mm, I could again readily spot it. I did not try the 14mm, mainly because I was bouncing round the garden going "yes! yes!" under my breath :icon_eek::D:D.

I then turned to the Ring Nebula, and compared the EPs from 10 to 22mm. The 14 and 17 fared best, with a slight preference for the 17, especially with the UHC filter, which gives a nice, dark background.

Next up were the globulars M5, M10, M12, and M13. The first three I had never seen through the C8 (just bins), and the 17T4 framed all of them beautifully.

In short, I am a very happy man :), the Nagler 17T4 completely rocks, and I could not have got it at a better time. A supernova (only my second) to celebrate first light is just special, and I do not think I would have found it half as easily with either the 14 or the 22.

Great first light report really happy you like the ep. It's good that it's gone to a good home and at least it has now been used for the first time finally instead of just sitting in my case

Those free cloud vouchers must have expired by the time you got the ep :). And I'm glad they did

Jake

Great report. Very interesting to hear how it compares to the 22T4. I guess given your scope the two T4's complement each other well regards the difference in FOV & magnification.

The 22mm gives very good views at 92x magnification, whereas the 17 gives 120x. This is a nice gap in magnification. If anything, the 14mm is a bit redundant, at 145x magnification. However, the jump from 120x to 203x is perhaps a bit big. Maybe I can replace the 14mm UWA in the future with a 12mm T4 :).

Nice write up Michael sounds like money well spent there

I have myself been tempted to get a couple of high end eyepieces the only thing that puts me off a little is if i would get the full benefit of Radians/Naglers as i often read that slow f10 scopes don't need great eyepieces for nice results but reading your review has got me thinking again

Kevin

Excellent report Michael, shows how some eyepiece's not really being used by one member are a good option for someone else. :)

Wonder if I should let my 18mm Radian go, I use it very rarely although it does sit nicely between the 24 Panoptic and 13mm Nagler.

Great report Michael. I remember the dealer trying to talk me out of buying the 17T4 while encouraging me to go for 2 cheaper eyepieces. Glad I stuck to my guns, it gets more use (along with the 2x barlow and a 50%-FR) than any other EP in both the F9 100ED at 26x/52x/104x and the F5 12" dob at 44x/88x/176x.

Something you might want to check out on the next outing; try not extending the back-end and get real close. I have found that with careful eye positioning the kidney-bean effect can be kept under control. The upside is a space-walk like experience, you can look around like looking out of a domed portal. Not sure if this will work on your scope.

A tip: careful when handling/inserting the 17T4 in the dark, you may not have noticed how much the bottom glass bulges!

Been waiting ages for a good night and your report has really got me focused on nailing the SN.

Tony.

Nice report Michael.

The type 4 Naglers are wonderful eyepieces.

Lovely big picture window eye lenses, and super comfortable eye relief.

The 12mm T4 is a real killer too. I should start saving now if I were you.:)

Regards Steve

Nice write up Michael sounds like money well spent there

I have myself been tempted to get a couple of high end eyepieces the only thing that puts me off a little is if i would get the full benefit of Radians/Naglers as i often read that slow f10 scopes don't need great eyepieces for nice results but reading your review has got me thinking again

Kevin

F/10 might be forgiving, high end EPs are still worthwhile, especially at the UWA end. Besides, they are future-proof, and come in handy with the F/6 APO. The sheer comfort of the T4s and Radians is great too.

Great report Michael. I remember the dealer trying to talk me out of buying the 17T4 while encouraging me to go for 2 cheaper eyepieces. Glad I stuck to my guns, it gets more use (along with the 2x barlow and a 50%-FR) than any other EP in both the F9 100ED at 26x/52x/104x and the F5 12" dob at 44x/88x/176x.

Something you might want to check out on the next outing; try not extending the back-end and get real close. I have found that with careful eye positioning the kidney-bean effect can be kept under control. The upside is a space-walk like experience, you can look around like looking out of a domed portal. Not sure if this will work on your scope.

A tip: careful when handling/inserting the 17T4 in the dark, you may not have noticed how much the bottom glass bulges!

Been waiting ages for a good night and your report has really got me focused on nailing the SN.

Tony.

Thanks Tony. I tend to extend the click-stop by just one in the 22, and not at all with the 17, which has slightly shorter eye relief. The space-walk effect is evident.

Excellent report Michael, shows how some eyepiece's not really being used by one member are a good option for someone else. :)

Wonder if I should let my 18mm Radian go, I use it very rarely although it does sit nicely between the 24 Panoptic and 13mm Nagler.

If you can afford it, there is no contest between a 18 Radian and 17T4. The latter has practically the same magnification and eye relief, but much more FOV.

Archived