NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGL PROMO Celestron X-Cel ED eyepiece

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll put one aside for you Sam :)

Modern eyepieces such as these achieve their comfort and eye-relief through what are essentially optically-matched barlowing elements built into the design. You can barlow them, of course, but they aren't as well suited as say a simpler design such as a Plossl, ortho or Kellner.

HTH

Dam, I've missed out on the 25mm. I had looked on the FLO website, but it was showing a message that FLO would contact me when more arrived. Next time? Still cant wait to try out the 10mm one, I'll probably order the 8mm this weekend.

Thank you.

We'll put one aside for you Sam :)

Modern eyepieces such as these achieve their comfort and eye-relief through what are essentially optically-matched barlowing elements built into the design. You can barlow them, of course, but they aren't as well suited as say a simpler design such as a Plossl, ortho or Kellner.

HTH

Thanks, I'll let you know when the moolah comes in. :icon_eek:

Other folks with more experiance than me could advise you better jack but in mho I found going from basic sw 10mm/25mm ep's to x-cel 5/10/25mm was a noticable differance, was informed it was night and day by sgl forum members (they were so right) and a HUGE differance in build quality,the differance between the basic sw plossl and celestron x-cels amazed me ,there a fair bit bigger,and they just look well made. I believe theres a 30 day return and refund option from FLO if you dont like em. God alone knows what the Pentax or Naglers are like if you can get something this good for the price.

Just a thought mate, I did find the 5mm had some kidney beaning i think is the term, need to place your eye in the right place to eliminate it, no big deal though, and in hindsight I might have stuck with 10mm and up and gone with a barlow and a planetary ep combination for higher powers rather than the 5mm, (still not sure what mags i need tbh) seems like this would have more flexability, still a very nice ep though.

Probably best pm FLO. or post in help section.

P.S. my experiance is very limited so take this as a noobs opinion only :)

Hi,

I am thinking of going for 8mm X-CEl and barlow it to use on sw 200p explorer, question is: will factory supplied barlow will do the job , or for such EP i definetely need to go for better barlow to enjoy its full capabilities?

PM sent to FLO :)

Im not sure how acurate my info is mate but i had heard that the x-cel's dont barlow well, take that with a pinch of salt though, better ask flo or other forum members who know more about the subject before you buy.

P.s Im eventually going to get one of these First Light Optics - Celestron Ultima Barlow expensive but ive heard people on sgl comment on how good they are.

Just received my new 10mm piece from post. All in time and perfectly supplied, best compliments to FLO.

First impression for a man who sees his first eyepieces... damn its more than I expected ;)) size and quality wise! Its big and looks soooooo good :D

I am realy afraid now about sizes of big 2" Wide field of view eyepieces... they will ahunt me in my dreams now :)

Just received my 10mm X-Cel from FLO too. Haven't had chance to use it properly yet, but I did have a look at the neighbour's roof tiles and then watched an insect crawling on a leaf in a tree several gardens away ;)

Thanks to Steve for taking the time to give a very comprehensive reply to my query earlier in the week. Very impressed with the EP and the service :D

Would one of these be suitable for planetary work on my shiny new 180 Mak? Or would something different be better?

The Skywatcher 180 PRO maksutov is a powerful telescope. The 5mm and 2.3mm are not suitable. The 8mm would give 338x magnification so could only be used on those rare nights with exceptional seeing conditions. The 10mm would give a more usable 270x but that too would need good seeing to perform at its best.

HTH,

Steve

Archived