NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGL PROMO Celestron X-Cel ED eyepiece

hi badboybubby, yes its a range 2.3,5,8,10,25mm, I think there are other focal lengths but im not sure what they are,great ep's and on offer at First Light Optics - Celestron X-Cel ED eyepiece, I bought the 25mm then went straight out and got the 5mm and 10mm, you'll love em, I do.:)

Given that my telescope has a focal length of 1500mm is there any value in having anything lower than a 10mm? like an 8mm

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Telescope Eyepiece Calculator says you should get 187.5x mag with a mak 127 with 8mm celestron x-cel ep, I was under the impression that 200x is about the usual for the uk, anything less would be definatly ott. I would have said 8mm would be a pretty good focal length for a mak 127 but maybe best to pm FLO before you buy just to be sure,im no expert:D

P.s how are you finding your mak 127 badboybubby? it was on my short list of scopes to buy along with the explorer 150p.

Hi,

Well my 10mm Celestron X-Cel ED eyepiece arrived in the post and I had my first night viewing with it last night. The Ring Nebula was my target and I managed to find it. I kept swapping between this and the 10mm EP that came with my scope and the difference was clear. The new EP seemed my clearer with more contrast. I could make out the "smoke ring" looking directly at it rather than needing to avert my eye with the other.

On the website it seems there are still stocks of 8mm, 5mm and 2.3mm. I am looking for the pro and cons of maybe getting a second more powerful EP.

I have a 2xbarlow that came with the Celestron EP kit. Would it be worth getting the 5mm ED instead of barlowing the 10mm ED? The 5mm at the discount price is cheaper than a new Barlow, or should I save for a better barlow?

The 8mm is perhaps too close to the 10mm to make a lot of difference and the 2.3mm is probably overkill for my scope?

Thoughts?

dag123

The 5mm would be a good high power eyepiece for your telescope. It would give 130x magnification and 1mm exit-pupil. Clearly the higher magnification would result in a darker image (cannae break the laws of physics Jim!) but otherwise the optical characteristics will be the same as your 10mm X-Cel.

HTH :)

Thanks for the advice.

Possibly an impulse purchase after last nights viewing, I've ordered a 5mm.

My EP collection is probably complete now. The kit with a selection for trials/experimentation and a couple of better ones that will probably get the most use, other than the much-loved-and-trusty 32mm from the kit to locate targets.

dag123

We have sold out of the 10mm Celestron X-Cel.

The 2.3mm, 5mm and 8mm are still available but the 8mm is selling fast (it won a group test in the BBC Sky @ Night magazine so is getting most attention).

First Light Optics - Celestron X-Cel ED eyepiece

HTH

Steve,

I already have one of the 8mm X-Cel's and it's my favorite eyepiece that I use. With my 200p, is the 2.3mm practical, at 434x I'm guessing the image would be very dark (planetary / luna).

Archived