Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I broke my DSLR

Mav359

Not a happy bunny....

stood on the data cable last night while it was connected between the scope and laptop and its stretched the housing where the cable plugs in, camera works fine but will no longer talk to the PC.

£130 is my best quote so far.:)

Does anyone know of a good repair shop in the south east?

gutted:mad:

I tend to use my local branch of the London Camera Exchange, I've bought quite a lot of kit, used and new from them over the years, never had a problem. I see they have a branch in Central London, possibly worth a phone call at least.

Cheers

Neil

If you can pick up a broken 1000D off eBay you can swap the ports around very easily.

They're on a little circuit board that's connected to removable ribbon cables.

A guy on the bay sells canon spares which are from broken cameras...perhaps he has one.

Just a suggestion for the future so it doesn't happen again. I use a cable tidy for all the camera and mount connectors direct to a usb hub that is velcro'd to the tripod leg.

Then a single long usb cable to the pc for all mount and camera data and control signals. I that gets troden on and stretched the cost is minmal to replace the usb cable or hub. If lucky the hub just comes off the velcro and everything still works :)

Park Cameras in Haywards Heath have a service centre and have done good work for me in past. My advice is to walk straight to the service desk and not look around the shop. It's a big shop and packed with many tempting goodies :)

Just a suggestion for the future so it doesn't happen again. I use a cable tidy for all the camera and mount connectors direct to a usb hub that is velcro'd to the tripod leg.

Then a single long usb cable to the pc for all mount and camera data and control signals. I that gets troden on and stretched the cost is minmal to replace the usb cable or hub. If lucky the hub just comes off the velcro and everything still works :)

Typically in this case it was the only thing not velcro'd to the tripod, i have ordered a USB extension cable which i intend to Velcro to the tripod, that way the cable from the camera plugs into the tripod.

I want to get to the stage where the tripod contains all the wiring and everything plugs into the tripod... just wish i'd done it sooner.

Cheers for the links guys i'll check them out.

Just an alternative thought - if it is just the data cable connector that is damaged, you 'may' find that a remote timer might still work, in which case get one of those & use that to set up & shoot your multiple exposures onto CF card in the camera, rather than controlling/storing directly onto the PC.

I know this may be slightly less than ideal, but it may work for you & may be more cost effective.

I have a remote switch and it works fine, in fact EVERYTHING on the camera works perfectly its just the cable connector. I tried using it the other night and i was able to photograph Saturn but it just makes everything so arkward that i'd rather just get it fixed.

Archived