Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS & Endeavour Solar Transit - 22nd May

After 2 failed attempts to try and image Endeavour docked to the ISS due to the dreaded clouds, I hoped to be more lucky today. A vicious wind was blowing the weather along at a fair old pace, and when I arrived at my chosen spot near Pulloxhill, Beds, 30 minutes before the transit, it actually started to rain heavily. I had to smile, and asked myself - "what am I doing here?" - but I stuck it out and 10 minutes before the start, things started to look up. Contrary to my previous luck, a hefty chunk of "blue" came across and I was suddenly bathed in sunlight.

Here's the resulting composite of 3 of the 100 images I took that captured the ISS. I'm struggling to pick-out Endeavour - possibly the dark patch in dead centre of each image?

The more scenic shot is my simple set-up of DSLR and filtered 420 lens. The PC to get accurate timing is on the car seat.

post-19542-133877607749_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877607756_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877607759_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877607762_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877607766_thumb.jpg

Nice capture! I'm still trying to see it but the clouds have had other ideas. Fast little guy (ISS) isn't he?

Isabelle

Your not kidding. According to CalSky the shadow ground speed was 7.5 km/s giving a duration of transit on the centreline of 0.57 seconds. I was about 600m north of the centreline and the shift in the line of transit is quite marked. A shame really - if I'd been closer to centre I might not have cut the first capture in half! Duration where I was must have been less than half a second.

Kevin

Archived