Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A sudden interest...in the 'dark side'??

northernnutter

Ok, so I've had my scope about a month, and although the other half has been quite happy for me to stay up late and get some viewing in, his interest in observing has been somewhat lacklustre, to say the least. On seeing Saturn...'hmmm, nice. Bit small though.' M81/M82...'What, where...oh, that there"...get the picture??

Anyway..last few nights, cloudy, so have been spending a lovely few hrs a night looking on the site,especially at the AP sections, taking in all those wonderful images. The OH looks over my shoulder, and says..."wow...what's that??."

"M81/M82"

"No way! Some one did that??"

"Yup"

"OK....so when do 'we' start doing the photo stuff!!"

(Note the 'we' bit starting to creep in here!!)

Then the questions started!! What do we need? How much? (2 grand basic...never batted an eyelid!!!), we already have a camera, scope, laptop right??? Probably would need an observatory for good pictures right?? Best place for it...middle of the garden??:p:eek::headbang:

I feel I have married an AP monster!!:)

What I can't understand is someone who showed no interest in the 'observing' side, could be swayed to the 'dark side' so quickly!!

I feel another scope may be on order shortly, 'cos by the looks of it, if the OH gets cracking, I'll not get a look in!!

Any others faced this?? One half an observer, the other half an imager??? Can you live in the same house??:p

I'm just gonna check my beloved scope now, to make sure he hasn't welded a camera onto it!! ( I'm hearing some disturbing banging from the garage!!!!:D).

Wish me luck!!!:headbang:

Vicky.

P.S. Ollypenrice.....if you're out there!! I hold you fully responsible for my dilemma!! That darn M81/M82 image!!!!!! LOL.

Could it be really annoying annoying if he is any good and gets superb pictures?

Ha!! Not likely any time soon, seeing as though, right now, he doesn't know 'Arcturus' from his armpit!!:p

Once the dark side gets hold it can be difficult to let it go.........

So it would seem, especially when it up and grabs you straight by the 'cahoona's'!!!:p

Join us! Join us! Join us!

We have exciting conversations about things like USB cables & pixel sizes!

Argghhhh....(heart sinks with impending despair!!!:))

One suggestion I would make and that is to slow everything right down. First off, get a hold of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) It will tell you what you need and more importantly why you need it to achieve the results your after. It is so important to have as best an overview as you can before buying any kit. In fact this book might save you money in this regard, as we don't want your first picture of a black hole being the one in your wallet. I personally don't image but I am a fan of those who do and what they produce and of course their skill and patience make the whole process look very easy - when in fact there is a steep learning curve. Imaging starts with the mount and that means a HEQ5 as a minimum although a NEQ6 mount would future proof any future investment (there are always extra toys that you might want to carry!) Of course, the initial focus is on data capture but that is only one half of the story, processing that data is the remaining half and can make all the difference to the final image. Yes, there are many software programs that are free but equally there are others that are not so you'll need to factor that in to your budget. Money doesn't guarantee a good image but it certainly helps makes producing it a lot easier and that will include an observatory, which will make a huge difference in set up times and accuracy. Steve's book is a great read, is well written and provides a great doorway into imaging and I would recommend that as a good place to start your entry in imaging.

Hope that helps

James

Being very honest I struggle to find my way around the sky because I'm not an observer I'm a photographer.

I don't know and I honestly don't care where a DSO or a star is because I have a laptop that knows where everything is.

Take advantage of the opportunity and keep smiling :) If I had the chance an observatory would be high on my priority list because you can permanently set up the system and you can be capturing data in minutes rather than an hour or so.

One suggestion I would make and that is to slow everything right down.

My sentiments exactly James!! I've already told him I want a good 6 months with 'my' scope, just getting to know the skies, before we start down the AP malarkey!!:p I might stretch to 'Every photon...' just to whet his appetite tho!! ( That's 'after' I've built up a nice collection of TV eyepieces, of course!! FIGHT!!!!:) )

Being very honest I struggle to find my way around the sky because I'm not an observer I'm a photographer.

I don't know and I honestly don't care where a DSO or a star is because I have a laptop that knows where everything is.

And there's my dilemma!! I will happily scope the sky for hours, finding what I want to see....the OH most definately will not!! But he'll spend hours tinkering with a computer/ photo composition!!

Guess it's gonna be a 'two set-up' household!! Lordy!!:p

I don't think there's any return from the dark side :-)

There are some nice eyepieces in my case, but it was many years ago since I ever slotted them into one of my scopes, or even looked through a telescope. A lot of other APs must be wondering what the fascination is of trying to catch a glimpse of a faint grey smudges of M31/M81/M82/M57 through an eyepiece, and then not being able to share the results. If you're blessed with truly dark skies or a mountain-top site then yes definitely it's a wow factor visually, but for the rest of us, AP is the only way to see the dark side.

I thought I was pretty much just going to be a visual player, but after having a bit of success in that aspect the last couple of nights observing - yeah, couple of nights success - I keep catching a tiny voice in my head saying "that grey smudge is it?".

Now I'm fairly happy to admit that I'm using goto a fair bit, but something must be sinking in, I found myself muttering to myself about various asterisms and stars and so on the other night. Kinda glad the only thing could hear me was an inquisitive horse.

For me, I'm catching myself wanting to image not so much to share - although I think that would be inevitable - but as a way to get a better view.

Alan

Is it just me, or did anyone else get a mental image of matching his 'n' hers obsys ??

:):p

Gets coat...

Seriously though, sounds great. Just think, with the cost of all the imaging gubbins he'll never be able to complain about your Nagler/Ethos addiction :p

For me, I'm catching myself wanting to image not so much to share - although I think that would be inevitable - but as a way to get a better view.

Alan

I think this is the draw for the OH too, Alan. He struggles to see. poor eyesight, glasses, can't get comfy at the eyepiece......I guess AP would be much better for him to enjoy the hobby. (I'm giving in already!!:headbang:)

Is it just me, or did anyone else get a mental image of matching his 'n' hers obsys ??

:):p

:p !! If that's the case David, then..I get the lovely, new, warm, comfy astropod....he gets the coal shed!!!:headbang:

Have to say that my OH has no interest at all in astronomy, but she did buy my 200p for christmas a couple of years back. She's also happy for the 250px to stay in the living room. If she was interested I can guarentee we would have a big obsy with 16" scope in the garden by now. She looked at M81 the other night and said 'what's the point?'. Maybe I should try her from the imaging angle?

She looked at M81 the other night and said 'what's the point?'. Maybe I should try her from the imaging angle?

Don't do it Bish!!! That was my mistake!!:) I 'should' have said, "you're right....nothing to see here. Go back in and watch Top Gear dear!!" :p

Hi Northern nutter,

For what it's worth, I would suggest that he tries piggybacking a camera on the telescope first. That is the most simple way to get started. Then, if he really likes it, tell him to get his own setup as you will be using yours. lol

Good luck.

Liz

With a dob, you could run a webcam from the laptop and try imaging the moon/lunar by manually moving it if the frame rate is high enough.

This will give you first had experience of imaging and some of the complications.

The gf wanted me to bring the scope around on saturday.. I think she was a little dismayed when I put the EQ6 tripod down then the scope case, the mount head... She was expecting the stereotypical refractor. I even left a chunk of gear at home too! I think it finally sunk in visiting the Leith Hill astro-fest on sunday.

I see I stand accused... It may come as a surprise but I was a reluctant convert to the dark side and initially started imaging mainly because I felt my business needed it, which it turns out it did. But getting better and better images is just so enthralling and rewarding. It is the cure for aperture fever without aperture. Think of it that way! Without imaging I'd be hewing down the local forests in order to get my 40 inch Leviathon into place...

You'll both love it.

Olly

Archived