Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera case foam

Hello SGL, Can anybody help me out with this question please? I have been giving an old aluminium camera case and on the inside there is some foam with pre cut squares. I would need to replace this foam so I could make my own shapes for any equipment I would like to keep in this camera box. Does the pre cut foam have a name and if so were could I purchase some?

Any thoughts would be most grateful.

Peter:icon_salut:

I bought 'camera case foam' from ebay a year or two back. The supplier offered it in different thicknesses. Found it useful to put one intact layer to the case, then one cut out layer in the centre. Made neat cutting a lot easier.

Just be careful on the quality of the foam.

I bought the Jessops stuff (was the last one), but it's a bit too spoongy.

The stuff that comes with the Maplin cases is perfect.

(trying not to get excited about foam here).

Efoam looks good but you do get five pieces of the foam, unfortunately at the moment my project only requires the one piece. Good for money in the long run but expensive if you only need one piece. You cannot win sometimes!

Peter

I've been toying with the idea of getting a case for my HEQ5 and have also been a bit dismayed at the high cost of foam. I'm giving serious thought to cutting up foam sleeping mat(s). Go Outdoors have them on offer at £5.99 size 1800mm x 500mm x 9mm. I think the density will be about right and it will be easy to cut with a stanley. The 9mm thickness is not ideal but it should be easy to fix the layers together with adhesive spray.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to get the Maplins £49.99 high impact case and bought two foam sleeping mats from Go Outdoors to replace the pick 'n' pluck foam that comes with the case at it seems a bit too soft. I went for the slightly more expensive mats at £8.99 but only needed two, so still much cheaper than the alternatives. The foam mats are 10mm thick and I was replacing an 80mm depth of foam in the bottom half of the case - so I needed 8 pieces - the two mats provided me with more than enough. It took me a couple of hours to cut the foam but it was really easy to get a precise cut with a stanley blade.

post-21610-133877615536_thumb.jpg

One thing I felt about using 8 x 10mm sheets was that it was easy to gradually build up a contoured cut-out. I really don't think it would have been as good a finish if I'd used one or two thicker sheets.

Archived