Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Forthcoming Lunar Eclipse 3/3

The moon will be rising in full eclipse here. It did this a few years ago, and when I got home I looked where I know the moon was, and it wasn't. It was truly blacked out.

I wonder, if you have good dark skies with lots of stars, and the moon is truly blacked out, shouldn't you be able to see the eclipsed moon occult some stars you would otherwise miss in the glare?

Still if the worst comes to the worst, you can always open starry night and watch it on there.

Watched it already, not very exciting !! .. It should be clear here so I will let you know, might even try poking the camera down the eyepiece to get a photo or 2.

I wonder, if you have good dark skies with lots of stars, and the moon is truly blacked out, shouldn't you be able to see the eclipsed moon occult some stars you would otherwise miss in the glare?

The eclipse I saw from here in 1996 was nearly ideal from a lunar standpoint. Nice, dark, rich red color on the Moon. If you didn't know where to look, you may have missed it. But while it was notably darker, and fainter stars were easily seen, the Moon wasn't completely invisible. Still, it was fascinating to see it return to full brilliance and the stars slowly disappear!

I've seen many of these before with the naked eye but never had the chance to observe one through a scope (which I can now) is there anything special to be looking for ?

Again, during the eclipse in '96, I watched the shadow cover the Moon very carefully. The thing that got me most was, my mind was expecting somehow to see the shadow generate the low-light angle views I see during the regular lunar cycle, so when that didn't occur, it made my head kinda hurt. What I did notice, especially approaching totality, was the dramatic fashion in which the albedo features became quite clear. You won't see the shadows and stark contrasts you see at different times during the month, but you should see quite nicely the differences in color from the dark maria to the light southern highlands. Watch for crater rays, such as Plato and such.

The more you look, the more you'll see!

Archived