NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please help me choose a telescope cover

Dear fellow space travelers,

I need some help choosing a cover for my telescopes for those nights when I need to quickly cover them or if I'm leaving them outside set up in-situ during the day ready for the following night's use. I'm imaging, so there will be at least one camera left outside (the QHY5 guide cam, the QHY8L I will probably bring inside if I can).

This is the setup:

5682366232_07958d5174_z.jpg

My current imaging setup by MikeWPhotos, on Flickr

750mm long Newt with a 600mm long guidescope and camera, plus extended counterweights and a tripod. Whatever cover I get has to cover at the very least the mount head. I may use some WD40 to waterproof the legs and screws to prevent rust.

The cover that I'm looking at is this one:

frozen%20dimm.jpg

Taken from: Cases, Bags and Covers for Telescopes and Other Optics

The size measurements are 64cm x 64cm x 1.2m. So it won't fit perfectly, but I'm guessing that such a bag if applied in an elongated fashion may well cover the gear.

I'm thinking about getting an 8"/1000mm or 8"/800mm scope in the future, hoping that it fits a cover like this.

Are there any alternative covers from other suppliers? What is everyone else using?

Clear skies,

Mike

I looked into the proper scope covers but felt they were too expensive.

Therefore I looked around for an alternative and this may sound crazy but the best cover I have ever used is the Medium Deluxe BBQ cover from argos (its is about £18.00).

I appreciate people may be concerned about this not being a scope cover and your optics getting damaged but my scope has remained setup outside (bar the handset and cameras etc) since November 2010 and this includes during the snow earlier this year.

It is really a fantastic cover and massive. It covers my 8 inch reflector and C80ED mounted side by side and comes down to cover the counterweights in full on my HEQ5. I just use bungies to secure it around the mount head and this is very secure.

Wow beamer,

Is it black? I wonder if I put my scopes under a black cover if during the hot sunshine this will unduly effect them. Particularly the refractor.

It might be ok during the winter though.

Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to find a light coloured BBQ cover - thanks for the tip, I'll get searching.

It is indeed black.

However if you want a silver one I have just purchased a silver coloured garden furniture cover from Argos (this seems to be my favourite shop) which is equal quality of the black one.

I bought large and it is way too big for a telescope but they do medium etc. You just need to make sure you get the delux versions otherwise you get that cheap green stuff.

Added bonus, you get it home and its no good - take it back and get your money back - easy.

Thanks chaps!

Ok - furniture cover for £25, big enough to cover everything but has no ventilation flaps, etc.

Or RVO have a scope cover for £30, includes ventilation flaps, no picture but specs seem identical (at 1am to tired eyes) to the GreenWitch cover.

They also have expensive scope coats but they look like they're made for SCT or Dob, not EQ mounted Newts.

Best,

Mike

ATM I'm using a couple of light grey plastic bags a water butt was delivered in, to cover my mount (and later scope etc.). Why two? Because they both have small holes in and I'm using two to make sure no rain gets through (the holes are all in the sides).

This is just temporary while I get my pier and obsy finished but I might look at getting simething better as I don't know how long my planned works will take (looking like quite a long time at present). I have NEQ6 mount set up on its tripod near the pier.

ATM I'm using a couple of light grey plastic bags a water butt was delivered in, to cover my mount (and later scope etc.). Why two? Because they both have small holes in and I'm using two to make sure no rain gets through (the holes are all in the sides).

This is just temporary while I get my pier and obsy finished but I might look at getting simething better as I don't know how long my planned works will take (looking like quite a long time at present). I have NEQ6 mount set up on its tripod near the pier.

If it's just the pier, the GreenWitch bag woulc cover it. Depending on the scope, it would probably cover that, too.

I'm in two minds about it.. It might fit or it might not..

This might be a job for Google Sketchup!

Mike

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

I use a heavy duty polythene bag  which can be purchased on the net for approx. £6. They are sold for covering 3 ft X 6ft Single bed mattress. Double bed size also available.They are very strong and 100% waterproof.I used one for the last two winters on my pier which also has synscan electronics installed. I have had no problems at all. It will also make a Gizmo cover permanent when used over it.

Cheers Dave

I purchased a heavy duty breathable cover from ENS Optical at their stand at Kelling Heath a couple of weeks ago. It was about £40 but a very nice piece of kit. They had a cheaper option but the fabric wasn't breathable.

It fits nicely over my 1200mm long 250mm dia Newtonian mounted on an AZEQ6.

So far very happy with it.

I splashed out on a Telegizmos 365 cover from The Widescreen Centre, cost me £156 as I recall, but it is *very* heavy duty, tripple layer with reflective inner. It also has a tied down which I look over one of the tripod screws.

ATM I only cover the mount head, bringing the 'scope indoors, mainly for security.

I know the issue is often financial but why would you "protect-not" hundreds & sometimes thousands of pounds worth of equipment by covering it with nothing short of a bin bag. This is false economy & potentially a source of trouble. I use a telegizmo cover & it is nothing short of superb. Even under a hot sun the scope stays cool & there is no way I'd roast my optics in a bin bag.

I know the issue is often financial but why would you "protect-not" hundreds & sometimes thousands of pounds worth of equipment by covering it with nothing short of a bin bag. This is false economy & potentially a source of trouble. I use a telegizmo cover & it is nothing short of superb. Even under a hot sun the scope stays cool & there is no way I'd roast my optics in a bin bag.

I have not used or seen a telegizmo cover but sometimes things made for non astro stuff work just as well (The bin bag may be the exception).

For example the flocking material from Wilko or the dew shield made from a camping mat.

Archived