Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2nd Cumbria Star Party

Delilahtwinkle, I just spoke to my wife and she made what sounded like generally positive noises, so at the moment, could you please mark me down as a fairly solid probable, if you still have room.

I also followed the last thread with a lot of wistful interest - this time, I should have everything I need!

I'm in Corbridge, so would be catching a train to Carlisle, then figuring out transport from there.

Alan

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dt,

I’m a bit green to these star parties, but would love to come for the dark skiesand meet some of the forum members. Cumbria sounds like a great venue.

Where about in Cumbria is it? and what do most people do about accommodation? Im sort of allergic to camping.. (my parents traumatised me as kid :eek:)

David , I am intending going on the Sat night only , can leave later on Sun' afternoon or early (ish ) evening. Tent sleeping bag , cooking kit .tripod and scope ( maybe 9.25 & 150 ?). Depending on your car space/room I wouldn't mind car sharing with you mate. I will (of course ) bring some suitable libation of Uisge Beatha , so if you fancy a natter and split petrol , let me know.

Pete

Hi Alan, You are on the list. I am sure we could get you from the train station to Longtown, either myself or one of my family could come and collect you so don't worry about that.

Hello Terry, we are in Longtown, there are a couple of bed & breakfast in Longtown, I suppose you could stay in one of them. What is it about camping you do not like? We will all help putting up/bringing down your tent, if you have one. Everyone camped out at the 1st party, It did get a bit cold though and I know that 1 person actually slept in his car. I am sure it will be a tad warmer this time though.

Hi Herakles, yes a could of people done that last time, but they ended up going home at about 3.00am Sun as they were having such a good time. We had already brought their tents down earlier in the day and they were pretty much packed already just their scope to put away. Just thought I would let you know.

Can't wait to see you all, Hoping for clear skies again

Dt

Dt, thanks very much! I'm in the process of gathering camping gear now!

Aaargh, the last time I went camping was in Australia - I'm suspecting Cumbria will have less spiders, at least.

I'm hoping for both nights - do you have a place to recharge power supplies by any chance?

Really looking forward to this.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes we have a little room which houses our tea,coffee etc for through the night. Actually you have just reminded me to buy a red light bulb for that room. It was a handy room to have last time but the bright light really messed up our dark eyes. I will be able to buy red bulbs for a basic ceiling light won't i.

Anyhoo - yes in said room we had a few electric points to charge equipment.

Speak soon

Dt

Hello Terry, we are in Longtown, there are a couple of bed & breakfast in Longtown, I suppose you could stay in one of them. What is it about camping you do not like? We will all help putting up/bringing down your tent, if you have one. Everyone camped out at the 1st party, It did get a bit cold though and I know that 1 person actually slept in his car. I am sure it will be a tad warmer this time though.

Dt

Hi Dt,

Wot no Hilton :eek: I just miss my creature comforts and besides I gave my tent away last year!

So, it looks like I will have to beg one from my from my friends. It would be a shame to bunk up somewhere else, if everyone else is going to be onsite. A sure way to meet people. Aside from that creeping back into a B&B at 3.30 am is probably not the best idea.

So that said, can you please put me down for two, myself and my wife.

What's kick off time? Look forward to meeting you all.

Hi Terry,

I am so pleased you can both come. I hope it is as good as last time. I have put you both on my definite list.

I do not mind what time you come over. Last time it was about 3.00pm when the first person arrived. I will be around all day anyways so just get here when you can.

Will some one lend you a tent? I hope you can get one.

Speak soon

Dt

I dont think getting a tent will be a problem. I have several friends that we go to festivals with. Now a roll off roof caravan would be even better...

Really looking forward this. Fingers crossed for clear skies.

I am aswell, I also would love a rolling roof - I keep asking my hubby to install one on his van - he keeps saying no. How selfish.

I am so pleased your wife is coming also. More women the better I say.

I still cannot see what the forecast is for that weekend - like you say fingers crossed.

Once I have all the places allocated I will send you all a little email letting you know how many people are coming, postcodes etc.

See you soon

Nina

Sounds like you are getting a good crowd, Nina. I have just bought a 2nd cheapie sleeping bag. kath said that she slept inside a sleeping bag that was inside another sleeping bag. That seemed like a good idea to me - so I should be toasty this time.

Tom

Hi Alan,

Super, You are on the list.

As long as it is not your scope you forget all will be well. Infact even if you did forget your scope it would all still be well - some of the views I saw through the scopes at the last party were amazing. We had such a range of scopes there it was really good.

Not long now,

See you soon

Dt

Hello Everyone,

I hope I have made the right decision here. We now have 15 people attending our Star Party. I think that that is big enough, I want to keep the feel that we had at the last one. With this in mind we are now not taking any more bookings.

We have 12 definite bookings and 3 probably's. This sounds good to me.

In time I will send an email to everyone with postcode etc.

I have been on weather-watch, I know it can change but it is showing clear nights for both nights again. Keep your fingers crossed everyone.

Speak soon

Dt

Hi All.

Sounds like we'll have a good crowd for the weekend.

Tent is sorted, just need to make a list of stuff to bring. My wife has just come back from tesco's with a nice super bright led camp light. "Thats nice I said. That'll really cheer everyone up :evil6:", Lol. "Better get some red tape on it quick!"

Hello All,just an idea in case the weather is against us at the weekend,space permitting i will make available a selection of binoculars for comparison;

Celestron 8x56:bino2:

Revelation 15x70:bino2:

Opticron 16x80:bino2:

Revelation 20x90:bino2:

Garrett 28x110:bino2:

I hope it will be useful for anyone contemplating binoculars for Astronomy.

Looking forward to catching up with friends and meeting new one`s

Clear Skies

Mike

Hi Mike

Just the 12 inch dob for me again, mainly since it won't be astrophotography dark at all.

Although I might bring my Borg 77ED with a solar filter - White light only but still worth a play.

Regards

Rob

The Borg is a recently re lensed 76 achro so no real images yet.

I have Imaged through the Megrez many times - very nice scope for the money. Some out of focus colour but in focus very good - it is only an ED doublet so i mainly use it as a widefield imaging or guide scope.

you interested in buying it? :D)

Archived