SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2nd Cumbria Star Party

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure that it will be very dark in early August, and middle of the month there is a full Moon, although with the Perseids on the 12th -13th it might be worth it. Later in the month gives darker skies and last quarter moon.

One night or two - whichever suits DT best, it is up to her.

Tom

There we have it, Cumbria 3 is born. I totally agree with Mike. How about the end of August for the weekend. Would you prefer the 19th or 26th August. I think the 26th is a Bank Holiday - Not sure if it is a Scottish holiday though. Let me know what you all think.

Lovely to hear from you all, speak soon

Nina

Xx

Roll on August !!! Whoop Whoop !!!

Book me in Nina, whichever weekend you prefer. Darker skies later in the month (and you Sassenachs get a bank holiday, whilst we Scots slave away (it was ever thus).

Saturday 20th August is a 3rd quarter Moon, rising 10pm. Saturday 27th is a new moon, so totally dark skies.

Whichever suits You and Val best, I will be there.

Tom x

Had a great time at the 1st star party, missed the 2nd...... 3rd well once you decide on the date Nina, if I can make it I'll be there! :-)

Cheers

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

What a shame so many people cannot make the party that weekend. You will all be missed. Ever so pleased for all of us who can make it though.

I do not want to change the date, but do not mind holding a 4th party after or before the one planned for the 27th.

I shall start making lists and emailing people see what would be best for everyone.

Speak to you all soon

Nina

What a shame so many people cannot make the party that weekend. You will all be missed. Ever so pleased for all of us who can make it though.

I do not want to change the date, but do not mind holding a 4th party after or before the one planned for the 27th.

I shall start making lists and emailing people see what would be best for everyone.

Speak to you all soon

Nina

Hi Nina

My circumstances have changed also, I cant make the 26th/27th so another date would be good..

No way Guy, Boo Hoo, Right then, how does this sound.

We keep the 27th going as it is. I am sure some people have booked time off work etc. Also I dare say if I changed it there would be some people not able to make that date also.

So we keep August 27th and have another one aswell. I know it is a bank holiday weekend end of July how about then - I don't think the moon would be around either - Still perhaps a bit light though. Is there not a Meteor Shower sometime soon - what about then? I will go and have a look on the Astronomy Calendars and pop back later.

If you have any ideas when to hold the 4th feel free to post.

Speak soon

Nina

DemonB, I don't know how it will be dark by 10.15pm in Northern England. Starry Night says astronomy dark at 11.30pm - still half light at 10.15pm. In Glasgow there is no way I could do any serious astronomy that early in the season. But, as I live 90 miles north of Carlisle perhaps I am wrong and that 1 degree of latitude makes a big difference (but I bet you a beer it doesn't).

I can't take more time off work (taking time off for the late August event) so could only stay the Saturday night.

Surely better to wait, as July is too early this far north?

But up to you DelilahT.

Tom

Hi Tom,i`ll take any sky with stars or anything else in it just to get some visual stimulation,mebbe it`s just my old eyes,your right of course astrodark is a little later but then that leaves more time for the beeren!!!!

Cheers

Mike

Hi Nina,

July is out for me but I can make Aug 27th, only for the Sat night though as all my annual leave is booked up for the rest of the year. ;)

Still if it's clear on the Sunday I can get the tent packed up but stay until it gets dark to get a couple of hours observing in before driving up the road. :BangHead::)

Cheers

Archived