Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2nd Cumbria Star Party

Hi Everyone,

I have had a couple of requests to hold another Star Party. The last one was a huge success, thanks again to everyone for a great weekend.

The Star Party will be held 28th & 29th May Sat/Sun.

Exactly the same as last time £15.00pp for both nights or £8.00pp per night. £2.00 for a bacon sandwich and a coffee in the morning.

Plenty of room to park cars, a point to charge equipment, great horizons and hopefully clear skies again.

There have been a lot of posts about the last one - you could have a little look before you decide.

If you feel you would like to join us just pop a little post on this thread or PM me.

Speak soon

Dt

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks, Just a little query here for a bit of your knowledge, Val has asked me to bid on this for her on Ebay what do you think of it. I ain't got a clue.

Tasco Luminova 114mm reflector Telescope & Tripod

item number 200605195547

Speak soon

Dt

Hi Nina,

Sorry but I'd be very wary about bidding for a scope on ebay it's fine if you really now your stuff you might pick up a bargain but for beginners your better to avoid. I wouldn't want Val to be disappointed.

As for the scope on sale, I've never used a Tasco but nowadays they aren't very highly rated. The eyepieces (EP's) that are for sale with it are poor quality with the 4mm giving way too much magnification for that scope. The barlow looks pretty much useless (and plastic) it will give too much magnification on 2 of the 3 EP's anyway.

Your looking at over £50 for it at the moment including the postage charge, to be honest I wouldn't pay that for it.

The best place to get a second-hand scope would be on here or U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell. Good beginner scopes come up all the time on both sites if you could ask Val what her budget is I'm sure we could help her find something better than the ebay scope. ;)

I e-mailed you Nina, but was trying to be more positive than Steve. But basically, he is right.

Find out Val's budget and then speak to a few of us (pm or e-mail). There will be a good starter 'scope come up on SGL or UK Astrobuysell soon.

Tom

Hi Veracocha,

Our last party was so good, it was really social everyone mixed really well. We were all looking through each others scopes and the chat was really good.

I think this was due to the size of the party. I would love to create that feel again, to do this I think I will limit places to about 20ish max.

Really we have no problem with space at all we could hold a lot more than 20 so space is not an issue but it would maybe compromise the "feel" of the party.

I do not need to know too soon, but to keep the party small I was going to do a 1st come 1st serve basis - the downside is maybe people will say yes then not turn up. I don't know how to overcome that.

I am sure you would have a great time. Have you looked at the posts about the last one?

Dt

Cheers DT, I followed every single post all through the thread as it was occuring. I have spent two weeks wintering for the last 20 years on the Solway so I know the area/skies well and fancy a look in the warmer months. I expect to know on my return to work next week so I will update you asap.

Anyone sat on the fence I can assure you that you will feel very well received by Nina & Val... very friendly folk ... plenty of places to visit during the day also...

Going to make sure I've got a warm sleeping bag tent this time... splashing out on a 4 season down bag this week.. star parties will become a regular date on my calender.. ;)

Thanks for the kind comments Guy, Val and I were so worried the run up to the Party, I think on the Saturday when people were arriving we were still a tad on edge, but didn't it all go really well.

This time I just cannot wait, I am so looking forward to seeing you all again and to see the views from all the other telescopes was a real treat. Especially for me with my little 130p.

More good news - Val did not buy the telescope mentioned earlier. Will keep you posted on what she is getting up to on the telescope purchase. I dare say there will be more advice needed, Sorry to trouble you all with it but she asks me and well I just don't know a good buy either bit like the blind leading the blind ;) Let us stick to organising parties - thats what I say :o

Thanks everyone.

Dt

Another local-ish star party !! Hurrah.

I shall have a serious think about this.

One of the best 2nd hand fleabay buys has without doubt, got to be a Tal 1(110mmF7.3). There are 4 on there at the mo. Built to withstand a nuclear explosion. I & many others have one and love 'em to bits.

Cheers,

Andy.

Another local-ish star party !! Hurrah.

I shall have a serious think about this.

One of the best 2nd hand fleabay buys has without doubt, got to be a Tal 1(110mmF7.3). There are 4 on there at the mo. Built to withstand a nuclear explosion. I & many others have one and love 'em to bits.

Cheers,

Andy.

Russian made - I'm sure the tubes are fashioned from used tank gun barrels... My 2M will the last thing standing in our house, I think!

Hiya guys its Val here,

Im just over at Ninas with my new scope i was really excited to see it together. Nina has showed me how to put it together. Nina thought it would be a good idea to look it up on the internet to find any reviews. While putting it up we were saying how good it looked, Nina was quite jealous, I was so smug. Till we read the reviews - To my disbelief it's only from ALDI - How can I show my face at a Star Party with this, me with my £20.00 telescope from ALDI. I don't want it now, me and Nina have been crying with laughter. I was well ripped ;) I might bring it to the party just for a laugh.

Thankyou for all the lovely comments on this and the last thread. Look forward to seeing you all at the next party. God knows what I will turn up with. The hunt for a telescope is back on. There will be one out there for me somewhere.

Love Val

Xxxxxxxxxx

Hiya guys its Val here,

To my disbelief it's only from ALDI

ALDI's ok for some things - decent cheap binoculars and a variable height ironing stool (available again from 16 May and only £12.99) for comfortable observing.

I'll bite as well but can only do the Sat' night sadly. Probs one of the last opportunities to use the scopes for me as we are entering the dreaded ''it's too dam light outside ''

Clear Skies

Pete

I am so pleased you can make it Wackyscot, we all had such a great time at the 1st party.

To everyone - I am slightly worried about the weather, and was thinking, the open shed to the right of our pitch is about 16ft high North facing. Just say it was raining loads, could scopes be brought into there so we could still view?? Moving scopes should be ok, it is the setting up afterwards that is the problem, isn't it?

Speak soon

Dt

Sounds like a good idea Dt. At other events, people have to cover the 'scopes in tarpaulin or bring them into tents. But your big she sound good, as it also gives us somewhere to sit down and keep out of the rain if it is a wet evening (apart from the Pub.)

Is there power in the shed? - if so we could set up a Lappy and projector.

But be positive Nina, it will be late May, so we may be lucky and get good weather.

I am sending out "positive vibes" to the Weather Gods.

Tom

Archived