Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CG5-GT and Equinox 120 for imaging ?

The general opinion is that the HEQ5 is the minimum for serious imaging. The main reason for this is that this mount has over 9,000,000 steps per 360* revolution, which means more accurate tracking. It also has a guide port as standard ;)

Revs, do you have the comparative figures for both the HEQ5 and the CG5-GT to hand, I'd be interested to see them as I've got both mounts. Both have a guide port. One maybe better than the other on paper but my experience is that the final images from either are identical to my eye.

The 1/2 load capacity figure is a good rule of thumb for imaging but lots of people exceed it and get results that they are perfectly happy with. If you were to apply it rigorously then I don't think anyone would be imaging with anything except an EQ6:eek:.

Sorry, I'm tlaking about the overall weight of the gear. Not about carrying things outside... ;-)

The 120ED is around 6,5Kg + 1,5kg of guidescope + let's say 2 kg for everything else (EOS, dew bands, flattener, Synguider, double plate). So that's all about 9 kg. Let's say 10. I'm way over the 12/2 but well... Is it a stupid idea ?

Well i have an ST4 as well. And it seems to me the CG5-GT is very similar to the HEQ5, so i should be OK ? It's more of a question about the overall weigjht actually...

The two mounts are completely different. The CG5-GT is the same as the EQ5 but with better bearings that give it a better payload. (12.5kg) The HEQ5 is a scaled down EQ6 and has a payload capacity of 18kg.

Peter

Revs, do you have the comparative figures for both the HEQ5 and the CG5-GT to hand

HEQ5/EQ6:

Microstep driven 1.8 stepper motors

Resolution: 0.144 arc sec (or 9,024,000 steps/rev.)

CG5-GT/EQ5 SynScan:

DC stepper motors with 1.8º angle

Resolution: 0.288 arc second

AFAIK that's correct ;)

Chhers, now that's interesting. I'm going to have a bit more experimentation with my PHD settings bearing those figures in mind and see if something that has been niggling me makes some more sense when switching between the 2 mounts.

So I guess I'll be going for the 120 then. Is it a good astro-imaging scope ? I have a 80ED but I feel like the FOV is really big. Since I like to shoot galaxies and dont like C8s...

I have one and I think it's a great scope for the money both for visual and imaging. It's not a small scope either and quite long too, I've used mine on a CG5 for visual and it's fine but I'd go with a HEQ5/EQ6 for imaging.

Tony..

Just wondering. Can an OAG work with a Synguider and a 120ED ? Because if i want to keep the costs a little lower it might be a good option...

Best regards,

Edit. I'd rather ask "can a Synguider work on an OAG with a 120ED?"

So I guess I'll be going for the 120 then. Is it a good astro-imaging scope ? I have a 80ED but I feel like the FOV is really big. Since I like to shoot galaxies and dont like C8s...

I love mine and it gathers light really well. Great on Galaxies too ;)

When I say I love mine...I'm not kidding ;)

Strictly platonic though :eek:

Equinox 120ED is 900mm FL vs 500mm for the 80ED. So smaller FOV, but you are not going to fill the chip on a Canon 450D with the typical galaxy.

You can get a very useful view of what you will see for different objects using the FOV calculator here

calcuated factors for your combination are:

F ratio:f7.5

Focal Length: 900mm

Field of view: 1.41° x 0.94°

Resolution: 1.19 "/pixel

The Equinox is a good scope and I love my 80ED.

old_eyes

HEQ5/EQ6:

Microstep driven 1.8 stepper motors

Resolution: 0.144 arc sec (or 9,024,000 steps/rev.)

CG5-GT/EQ5 SynScan:

DC stepper motors with 1.8º angle

Resolution: 0.288 arc second

AFAIK that's correct :)

I think the CG-5 has DC servo motors not stepper motors which is supposed to give smoother operation.

Dave

Archived