NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon last night

Gunnar

Hello all.

As a brand new astronomical observer, (never hold a telescope in my hands before) I just saved enough money and purchased my wery first telescope ever, and I ordered it from FLO. By the way thank you flo for the exellent service. However this scope a skywatcher 190mn on Neq6 mount was after two nights wery easy to polar align, when I got It how to do it right..! The go to function is absolutely fantastic!

Last night I started wiewing visual on the moon and it was a fantastic clear wiew at 125 magnification, I didn`t see any footsteps on the moon but then suddenly a small rectangular shaped dark object passed in front of wiew, It may have been visual in about two seconds against the lunar surface i think, before it dissapeared out in the dark again!

What in space was that!! :D Was it a sattelite?

The clock at the time was ... 22.43.30 Central European Summer Time (GMT + 2:00) date 8/5/2011 Pos N17.33.21 N59.47.24 Sweden.

Gunnar

Gunnar, sounds like a nice night! Have a look at the site Heavens Above on the net, that should help you identify it.

Just do a search on Google for it, I would give the url, but I'm typing from my phone, so don't have it right now.

Alan

Hello and welcome, it could possibly be the international space station, depending where you are viewing from. I could of course be totally wrong. I saw it fly over 10 days ago.

Impressive - the alternative could be an airplane at high altitude. Was there a disturbance behind it (jet exhaust) causing the lunar surface to blur for a few moments?

Satellites tend to be about a half-second or so to cross the lunar surface, and satellites that are far enough up to take a lot longer are too far away to get any meaningful outlines.

• 4 months later...

Hi.

It may have been about half a a second maybe, i am not shure about how many seconds i saw it but it was a very short time i saw it. It was no aircraft, no jet exhaust, I am shure. I do know about aircrafts as I am a holder of pilots license. The object was clearly rectangular shaped like a box.

Regards

Gunnar

glad you had a great night,the moon as me hooked i am obsessed with it and have been for 2 years i never ever tire of it and hate it when its not out ,on the nights its not in i have dso`s nebula,galixes clusters and doubles to split they will do till it pops out again,the dark object was it a bird i have some video of the moon and a flock of ducks flew past in a great big v it was uber cool

Yes I am interested in photography. That`s why I got that scope, and expensive it was!

I did my first imaging session a couple of weeks ago and the scope was pointing at andromeda. Actually at this moment I am doing my second imaging attempt, now the target is M101. The camera (canon 500d) is now up and running 3 min exposures. And I am drinking a hot cup of tea and surfing on SGL:) It will be late to night :glasses2:

Edit: God night and sorry for my spelling.

dont worry about your spelling Gunnar hope you have a great time on this wonderful site everyone is so friendly as you've probably guessed i too started my observing looking at the moon just looked at it for hours and hours and the more you look the better you understand i think anyway won't go on great scope by the way clear skies always jimmythemoonlight liverpool merseyside :glasses2:

Archived