Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello, I had a Skywatcher 130P yesterday and spent tonight looking at Saturn. It was amazing, seeing Titan sitting alongside it too. Which DSO's would be a good starting point for me to look for, that would be another inspiring sight?

Thanks

Marc

Thank you, not had chance to have a look yet due to the cloudy skyy last night! Along with looking for Saturn's other moons, it's given me a starting point for my next session!

Thanks again.

You've got the moon to contend with at the moment which doesn't help (unless you want to look at it :D )

M13 globular cluster is an inspiring sight at around 100x and also very easy to find.

I'd echo the previous comments that M13 is a great sight, not too hard to find.

I would reccomend the book 'Turn left at Orion' if you can get yourself a copy, it has helped me a great deal. I also use Stellarium before a viewing session to try and plan what to look for. It has a convenient function of being able to set the time in the future so you can plan ahead.

Good evening, just come in from a rather hit and miss (clouds) session. Had another quick look at Saturn, but was unable to find Titan tonght. I then started my search for M13, which unfortunately was fruitless. I found Hercules and looked between the two stars at the top, but couldnt find it. I was using the 10mm and 25mm EP's and didn't bother with the barlow. I did enjoy seeing a wealth if stars in that region, but was disappointed that I didn't find M13, although I did only get 20mins or so cloud free.

Which EP is best for looking for Messier's objects? I have 10mm, 25mm and a 2xBarlow?

Also, I have got 'Turn left at Orion' on order ;) !

Thanks

Marc

Use the lowest power eyepiece (the 25mm) to find the Messier / DSO then apply the 10mm if more magnification is needed. The 2x barlow will not serve any useful purpose for viewing deep sky objects in my opinion.

M13 is to be found here in Hercules (M92 is another globular cluster):

post-12764-13387760318_thumb.jpg

If you are up in the wee hours the double star Albireo, the head of Cygnus the Swan, offers a stunning colour contrast.

Galaxies M81 and M82 along with M51 are well placed. M27 is up later as is M57.

Olly

agree with other posts. m3 and m13 are good targets. reason being that not only are they fairly easy finds, they are also good for an appeture of your size.they stand out like smudged stars in my 90mm refractor. enjoy the hunt.

Archived