Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempts in nigthscapes ans startrails.

Hi.

My first trys on the field :).

All pictures were taken with Canon 1000D and kit lens.

For all pictures (startrails included) setings were the same: ISO 1600, f/3.5 and 30s. exposure.

All pictures taken at 26/02/2011

Lighthouse at Noss Head

img2895modresized.jpg

Living under Orion's Belt

img2971modresized.jpg

In the trenches ;)

img2974modresized.jpg

Startrails over Sinclair Bay

trailsresized.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Sam.

I think that sky detail (number of visible stars) is due to quite dark Caithness skys, and it was moonless night as well.

I've seen some cracking shot's from Caithness. I think a trip is in order.! :)

Wow! I suspect the canon and tripod might be coming out while I await my scope- brilliant shots Spider! Inspirational- hum... just those darn clouds...

A great night's photography!

Best wishes,

Vicky

Thanks very much guys for all your kind comments.

I am also happy, that these pictures were mentioned in POW section. I am probably more happy than this week POW winners ;)

Great shots there.

I am going to attempt something similar - my first real go - once the clouds disperse. Do you think an IR filter might add more detail or do you think it would not have much affect?

Hi smeech

Sorry but I don't have any experience with filters in photography so unfortunatelly, I can't help you. Just take some pictures with and without filter and you should see difference if any.

• 7 months later...
Hi.

My first trys on the field :).

All pictures were taken with Canon 1000D and kit lens.

For all pictures (startrails included) setings were the same: ISO 1600, f/3.5 and 30s. exposure.

All pictures taken at 26/02/2011

Lighthouse at Noss Head

img2895modresized.jpg

Living under Orion's Belt

img2971modresized.jpg

In the trenches :)

img2974modresized.jpg

Startrails over Sinclair Bay

trailsresized.jpg

What I can say? These are inspiration until I get a scope, but I am fascinated by wide fiel AP.

THESE ARE GREAT,

• 1 month later...

They are very good and agree with friend here, love the Orion view, Everything is is sharp focus and the stars are highlighted against the black backdrop. Great?

Have you tried timelapses and how do you do them? I have made some still timelapses but doing 20 secs timelapses would take me all night long, say... Taking 400 photos?--? 133 hrs

100?--->33 hrs at the end this would be a very short timelapse

Maybe you are talking about 1sec 400 shots----> 7 hrs?

Maybel I a rambling.. I know I have done some quick exposure timelapses, takes a lot of shots to do them.:-(

Hi Walky

Thanks for your kind comments.

Yes I have done a few nightsky timelapses, but they are all realy short (few second each) for a reason which you have mentioned. Unfortunately I've got cheap camera Canon 1000D which has highest ISO 1600. Whith higher ISO value it is possible to cut exposure time and with quick lens, say f 1.8 is possible to cut exposure time even further.

Also to make timelapse longer it is possible to use smaller number of frame rate in the movie. My timelapse with aurora uses only 10 frames per second (typical is 25-30 fps) and still don't look too bad.

Archived