SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

So, not getting a 250PX after all.

inksmithy

Through what I believe is no fault of theirs, the 250PX dob I ordered from FLO won't be arriving after all.

It seems with all of the 200P dobs sold, people have decided that that size does matter, and the 10 inch dobs are selling faster than FLO could keep track of.

When I ordered mine, Steve sent the order off, not knowing that the importer had run out.

Anyway, I was wondering when to expect it to be delivered, so fired off an email asking them.

Within 25 minutes, I had missed a call from Martin and he had written me an email explaining the situation.

Just for reference, Martin from FLO told me that the boat had docked on the 29th and a lot of stock should arrive next week, so start your shopping trolleys!

For various reasons, I couldn't wait till then, so after four hours of emails back and forth and a phone call to sort out fine details - for example, FLO have a small stock of the Celestron 127 SLT personally on their shelves - I changed the order from the dob to the 127 SLT goto.

Steve, if you read this, Martin really jumped through hoops for me today, I really appreciate the time and effort he put in. He could easily just have said "its on the boat, sorry, can't do much about it" and left it at that. Really good stuff.

Advantages and disadvantages of this scope compared to the dob are too numerous to count. I'm pleased with what I'll end up with though - not least because my wife told me there was very little chance of me taking a ten inch dobsonian to a caravan for holidays. I might get away with this Mak though.

Alan

Don't panic about the scope trolley, I'll still be building it!

I've even figured out that if I attach the motor from an electric golf trolley, I can make it power assisted, possibly to the point of cadging a free ride on flat ground and assisted push on hills.

It's gonna happen!

Alan

Steve, if you read this, Martin really jumped through hoops for me today, I really appreciate the time and effort he put in. He could easily just have said "its on the boat, sorry, can't do much about it" and left it at that. Really good stuff.

Martin is a good man, we are lucky to have him :)

Steve

the 127mak is a fine scope and under dark skies punch well above weight. I think you will be quite happy out in the sticks with that

I agree with rowan46. It's a fine telescope and like you say at least you can lug it to the caravan.

Cheers guys,

That one is one of the scopes I was originally considering, so I'm not unhappy about winding up with it.

What I hadn't realised when I first looked at it though was that the mount incorporates an eq mode, so ill be able to keep some sort of pictorial record of the stuff I see.

Of course though, a look at the weather shows clouds rolling in on Friday.

Alan

There are loads of fans of the 127 Mak here (including myself) and it's going to be a bit of a toss-up whether we take the ST102 or the 127 Mak on holiday with us. Given it's compactness I reckon I'll eventually plump for the latter.

You may find you need a dew shield if you're out for hours at a time. Last night I was fine, but there have been some nights when the scope has been running with moisture.

James

It seems to me that the 127 Mak fans are as keen on their telescopes as the 200P dob fans (and quite rightly so) :)

I confess I keep looking at the 127 Mak on FLO's website - don't tell the wife ;)

The 127 mak is an excellent scope, you wont be dissapointed by the lack of apeture trust me, very good at web cam astrophotography on the moon and planets.

Regards

Ben

Awesome, that was my next question to be honest - planet based web camming, it should do pretty good.

The other things I ordered from FLO arrived quick smart and I have to say, using the cheshire collimator on my 76mm FuzzMaster has made a world of difference.

After getting it collimated, I tested out the eyepieces from the revelation eyepiece kit, which also blew me away - I watched two insects getting intimate on the head of an 8mm bolt at one point.

Lets just say there isn't much to aim at in my back garden during the day, shall we?

Other bits and pieces starting to come in as well, my 17ah jump starter and power inverter has arrived, as has the second 300W power inverter in case the 200W inverter on the jump starter didn't make it.

I'm dithering over whether to send the Celestron Binoculars back to the Amazon seller or whether to just open them up and recollimate them myself, the rattle in the barrel is absolutely not supposed to be there.

The best bit arrives tomorrow though, I wonder what time FedEx come through this village...

Cheers guys, I'll do a proper unboxing of it when it arrives, I haven't seen one for this telescope yet.

Alan

Archived