SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Couple of Hi Mag ISS Passes 27-04-11 UK

Psychobilly

Two bright passes tonight - why was it cloudy last night whilst I was up as Aust ... AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Both pretty boring (photographically) overhead passes for me... but first is fairly early (MA at 20:45 BST) so twilight sky for a bit of color...

The second is (MA 22:17 BST)

Peter...

Getting set up & ready for a long evening tonight - it's clear so going to make the most of it.

Hopefully getting my new one on Saturday, so sorry for the clouds after then ........

I got a good view of it from the back garden, the ISS gets really bright which makes it easy to see in the lighter part of the evening.

I was going to attempt to image it tonight until I realised that it was to going to be still too light so I'd have no hope of finding anything to focus on first!!!

I need a bit of help guys. I am very very new to this forum and dont know where to go. I bought my first telescope just over a week ago and since then i have not been able to see the moon (in general, not just through telescope). I think that the moon would be the best thing to use to get used to focus and stuff as i have already messed about as much as i can during the day with it. So basically, why is the moon not visible??? very clear skies btw. (thanks for writing back if you do)

Hi Timelrd...

Guess your inthe UK?

At the moment the moon doest rise till the wee small hours and is pretty low down ...

http://www.heavens-above.com/moon.asp?Session=kebgfecghajhdlpdgnojcila

Grab a copy of Stellarium it will help you to find your way around the sky...

http://www.stellarium.org/

Make sure you setup you observing location latitude and long and then you can tiuem skip your way through the heavens...

If you dont know them you can find them from google earth ....

Enjoy your stay...

Pop into the Welcome section and say hello...

http://stargazerslounge.com/welcome/

Billy...

Hi Timelord

When the moons out of the way as it is at the moment it gives you a much better view of the stars - but don't worry, in just over a week - round about 8th May it'lll be back in a beautiful crescent, easily viewable and getting fuller for the next 10 days or so and you most definitely won't miss it - even though, it's not going to be as high in the sky as you might think

Enjoy

Was watching naked (eyes not body!!) and as it passed into the earths shadow it turned really quite bright red - anyone else notice that? Not seen it do that before

Yes just as it entered its view of the setting sun, I was tracking it under Saturn with the 12" dob and 17mm Nagler, who needs guiding at 88x! :)

I was worried I would not be able to find a star to focus on, but with about 5 mins to go before the ISS came over, I found Capella and got OK focus. Now I need to find the best frames...

hey billy, thanks for the info. I am also finding it very hard to see stars at all in my telescope. Is there any reason for this? something i might be doing wrong, as far as i am aware i have the finder scope lined up pretty well but just cant find anything with proper scope. telescope moves quite a bit as well, tiniest little movement and what im looking @ is gone, any way of rectifying this? if i am on the wrong thread to be asking this sorry, would you be able to direct me to correct thread.... sorry about long post

Ideally start a new thread in beginners help and advice give a few details about the scope your having problems (make/model) with and what accesories you are using with it - if its a refractor for example you will need a diagonal in between the focusser and the Eyepiece to be able to focus on the "stars".. you cant just place the Eyepiece inthe end of the focusser ...

and you'll get lots of helpful advice .. and some rubbish from me :)

Billy...

NO worries...

Also list The Eyepieces you have .. you want to start with the Longest Focal Length (FL) Eyepiece (EP) that you have this will give you the widest field of view (FOV) when your trying to focus if you don't move slowly its really easy to go through the focal point and either side the star image gets spread out and becomes faint...

Post some more details in the Beginners help and advice selection and we'll see what we can do...

It took the opportunity to introduce you to a couple of the Abbreviations you might get in the replies...

Billy...

Archived