Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Skywatcher Synguider - A review in parts...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Psychobilly

Psychobilly

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 29,516 posts
  • Location: Blue Green Planet , Orbiting a G2V Star, The Orion Spur, Milky Way.... Some Like To Call Home.. :)
Part One - whats in the box...

I have just got my sticky paws on one of the first batch of the New Skywatcher Synguider - Standalone Autoguiders...

I will hopefully be letting it see some real (or artificial stars using SGE) before very long...

Posted Image

What Skywatcher "Say" on the box...

Posted Image

Single language user manual (English) couple of confusing bits in but I am sure they will become obvious when I get to use it...

Posted Image

Handset and Cables...

Posted Image

Autoguider and Skywatcher 4xD cell Battery box...

Posted Image

Spread out for all to see...

Posted Image

The ports onthe bottom of the unit the front of the unit is diecast metal the back is SKP (Some Kind of Plastic)

from Left to right - Handbox (8 pin ) ST4 Guideport (6pin) RS-232 (4pin) and DC input (5.5/2.1mm Center Positive)
Posted Image

With the 1.25" EP adaptor Fitted...

Posted Image

And it removed and a standard T thread adaptor (M42x0.75) screwed in

Posted Image

The Blackened Surround to the CDD and the CCD itself...

Posted Image

You also get a serial cable and shorting plug needed for firmwware update from a PC , A parafocal locking ring and 1.25" EP Extension

End of part one....

Edited by Psychobilly, 20 May 2010 - 04:34 PM.

• tingting44 likes this

We choose to image with DSLR’s. We choose to image with DSLR’s in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

Canon 5D Mk III , 7D, EOS M , 1000D (Baader BCF), 350D (Full Spectrum)  and some Nice Glass from 10 to 600mm ....  Nikon D200 & D50

Psychobilly

Psychobilly

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 29,516 posts
  • Location: Blue Green Planet , Orbiting a G2V Star, The Orion Spur, Milky Way.... Some Like To Call Home.. :)
Part Two...

I didnt fancy running the unit of 4 x D cells using the supplied battery box... and the manual says that the supply can be between 6 and 12V but lower is better...

So ...

Here's Billys Rechargable Battery Pack - 6x2400mAH capacity AA size NiMH with a regulated output (set to 6.5V) short circuit protected by an auto reset 2A polyswitch...

Posted Image

The "internals"....

Posted Image

The display... sorry its a dim display so it was a 1/4s exposure hand held... The display seems to be 1bpp depth - so no "redscale images" its either on or off...

The installed Firmware is V1.0

Posted Image

Now waiting for stars... or SGE...

Manual as a PDF

If i don't get clear skies in the next few days I'll get SGE setup to give it a workout...

End of Part two ...

Edited by Psychobilly, 21 May 2010 - 08:31 AM.

• tingting44 likes this

We choose to image with DSLR’s. We choose to image with DSLR’s in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

Canon 5D Mk III , 7D, EOS M , 1000D (Baader BCF), 350D (Full Spectrum)  and some Nice Glass from 10 to 600mm ....  Nikon D200 & D50

Psychobilly

Psychobilly

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 29,516 posts
Ok skies are marginal - not great for imaging and work in the morning so decided to do a quick test just using the Synguider on my
old Equinoxe 66 on the mount.

Posted Image

I had deliberately misaligned the mount in both axes and skipped the alignment in the handset... so there was no "sky model" beign used to control the mount..

I then manually enabled Sidereal Rate Tracking and slewed around to Arcturus - I know not exactly the most challenging guidestar...

Seeing as I didnt have a finder setup I started with a 40mm EP to find Arcturus then changed to a cheapo 8-24mm zoom that enabled me to check that the star would be on the guide chip...

I managed to get the guider to lock without resorting to the manual and left it tracking for 30 mins.. when i went back it was still centered on the chip...

Posted Image

Arcturus was being smeared by contrails but was still saturating the CCD... but I wanted a satr that would "survive" being hidden by cloud...

Hopefully I will get the skies over the weekend to do some proper trials with it...

Peter...

End of Part 3....

To be continued....

Edited by Psychobilly, 21 May 2010 - 08:38 AM.

barkis

barkis

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 25,265 posts
A good insight into what to expect on emptying the box Peter.
How come you got one so quickly, or do you have it for a trial period only? One of these does appeal to me, but I will decide once there is some Info.. on performance.
Thanks for this so far.
Ron.:D

Edited by barkis, 20 May 2010 - 10:15 PM.

FLO

FLO

Supernova

• FLO
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,310 posts

How come you got one so quickly...

Peter and Nadeem were first off the mark :D

(We have more arriving in 10-15 days)

zhgutas

zhgutas

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,058 posts
Uh.... interesting! And plenty of piccys! :D will be waiting for the follow-up!

Marius
Gear owned:
SW ST80 on a photo tripod
SW 200P on "simple" HEQ5
Agena 2" 38mm and 26mm SWA, Celestron 1.25" 32mm Plossl; TV 1.25" 20mm Plossl; BST Explorer ED 1.25" 8mm; TS Planetary 1.25" 5mm
Tal 2x Barlow

Psychobilly

Psychobilly

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 29,516 posts
Hopefully I will have the skies to do some proper testing with it over the weekend...
and will add more pics and results to this thread...

Peter..

steppenwolf

steppenwolf

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 10,386 posts
Thanks for the preliminary review, Peter - looking forward to more when you have the skies.

Regards,

Steve
The Chanctonbury Observatory
http://www.skyatnightimages.co.uk
Night conceals the World but reveals the Universe

The third edition of my book 'MAKING EVERY PHOTON COUNT', a Beginner's Guide to Deep Sky Astro-photography is available here.

forecast.png

barkis

barkis

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 25,265 posts
Is there any reason this device might have any problems on an Off Axis Guider?
Ron.

Psychobilly

Psychobilly

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 29,516 posts
Using it last night without refering to or having properly read the Manual there were some "funnies"... so i am genning up today as well... These were mainly to do with where the star needed to be on the screen for it to lock - At one point the star was under the text but then the guider would not lock onto it it's almost as if the guider works on a ROI around the center of the chip...which might be why they tell you to get it close to the center...

I will RTFM and find out...

I will keep popping back to the first few posts and editing them that way the review will stay together in one place...

Ron...

I am hoping to try it guiding the CPC800 with the guider on the 8" at PF and with the OAG, the Mergez 72 at PF and The 500mm f8 Teleguider and on the EQ3 Pro with the 60-200 f3.6 Teleguider... but that may take a while ...

I guess it will depend on how fussy it is with star shapes on the OAG...

Peter...

Edited by Psychobilly, 21 May 2010 - 09:28 AM.

barkis

barkis

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 25,265 posts
Thanks Peter. There's no hurry mate, there is no way you can rush through this, and it has to be a thorough, and objective investigation. Lets hope the sky plays ball.
Ron.:D

Psychobilly

Psychobilly

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 29,516 posts
Worse still lets sure the OAG plays ball.... the TS is a PITA to setup but fine when it is... Ask Steve-L et al about this...

Peter....

barkis

barkis

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 25,265 posts

Worse still lets sure the OAG plays ball.... the TS is a PITA to setup but fine when it is... Ask Steve-L et al about this...

Peter....

:D:eek::)! Now I really feel better, having just got one. If those guys are struggling, What hope have I got?:D:(.
Anyway, first things first. Press on mate.

Edited by barkis, 21 May 2010 - 09:58 AM.

Psychobilly

Psychobilly

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 29,516 posts
Ron,

Dont worry - It's only the focusing that a PITA made easier if you replace the standard screws with solder tipped grub screws.. PM me your postal addy and I'll send you some...

Peter..

barkis

barkis

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 25,265 posts

Ron,

Dont worry - It's only the focusing that a PITA made easier if you replace the standard screws with solder tipped grub screws.. PM me your postal addy and I'll send you some...

Peter..

PM On the way.:D

Coco

Coco

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,788 posts
Looks interesting

Good luck :D

Guy...

Clear skies
Guy

BELT DRIVE NEQ6 | Skywatcher Quattro 8s | QHY8 | 5D3 | 400/5.6 L | 200/2.8 L | EQMOD | SMALL OBS

Deneb

Deneb

Banned User

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 3,311 posts
Thanks for the insight into the guider Peter, im just thinking maybe it might have been better if they included a Cigarette lighter power lead with it as well. Looking at the .pdf posted I haven't noticed anywhere that Skywatcher has given any indication of how long you could power the guider with batteries.

Nadeem.

Edited by Deneb, 22 May 2010 - 06:58 AM.

SW Quattro 8S, SW NEQ6 Pro
Canon Self Modded 1100D,
My Website

Psychobilly

Psychobilly

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 29,516 posts
They recommend running off lower voltage they state 6-12v and recommend the lower end... i guess the internals are running (maybe 3.3V) so at 250 mA and a 12V supply depending on how they drop it thats about 1.5W of heat to get rid of .. and heat is the enemy for low noise in the sensors...

You could easily put a voltage regulator in a cigarette adaptor or a small in-line box...

Seeing as I have several thousand of those regulated battery units and pouches hanging around complete with the matching chargers they are the obvious solution for me...

Peter..

Edited by Psychobilly, 22 May 2010 - 08:00 AM.

Deneb

Deneb

Banned User

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 3,311 posts

You could easily put a voltage regulator in a cigarette adaptor or a small inline box...

Yep, was thinking about doing that, another thing to do when I get back...

Nadeem.

Edited by Deneb, 22 May 2010 - 07:57 AM.

SW Quattro 8S, SW NEQ6 Pro
Canon Self Modded 1100D,
My Website

Psychobilly

Psychobilly

Supernova

• Global Mods
  • 29,516 posts
Isn't it typical.. weather forecast isn't brilliant until Sun.,Mon Tues nights and then is marginal... and this time of year you cant start doign anyhting useful until around 23:00 or later and Lunas looming larger every night :)

Dont think I'll be doing much testing with the guider on fainter stars then :D

Peter...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users