Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Synguider - A review in parts...

Nope it should sort it all out during the calibration process...

It's not ideal though .. another as it introduces possible source of movement so make sure its all done up properly.. i tend to use strips of gaffatape around joints once everything is setup.. and wherever possible use screw threaded connections between components rather than pushfits...

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me neither...

However, I recall Mike Wilson running his off batteries to begin with when he had one. In theory they should last a fair while, but I think I remember him saying that when the batteries got low, the SG started misbehaving...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I ran some tests of the Synguider the last couple of weeks, using it mainly with my Losmandy GM-8 (non-Gemini) mount. Hereby two single frames: IC 1396 - 6 minute exposure and M 104 - 3 minute exposure. Both were made at a focal length of 500mm using a modified Canon 450D.

IC 1396 (Cepheus):

All sizes | Test image IC1396 (6m) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

M 104 (Virgo):

All sizes | Test image M104 (3m) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I was quite pleased with the ease of use and results of this standalone guider. A couple of negative points have already been mentioned on this forum: the built-in screen isn't very handy without using a zenith prism and the lack of an audible alarm may ruin your astrophotography session.

All this considered, I think the Synguider is a definite winner.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am planning to get the Celestron Nexguider, which is variant of the Synguider.

Can anyone tell me about the backlash compensation of the Synguider? I will be using the Nexguider on a Sphinx SXW mount where the backlash is terrible. At slowest motor setting the drivetrain takes 20 seconds to engage.

I understand the Nexguider (and i presume Synguider) allows users to enter the time for backlash to clear. Can this number be more than 30 seconds?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

does anyone know if the synguider woud be compatible with the meade ldx75 goto mount ? because if you use an auto guider it has to plug in to the handset of the meade goto system

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. I've been using the Synguider on the Veil Nebula recently and have been getting 10-12 minute exposures before some trailing worked their way into the images.

One issue I'm having is that away from DSOs that have a central bright star (ie 52 Cygni in the Veil and Theta Orionis C in M42) there are few objects with a star bright enough to lock on to in the vicinity. How do people get around this - move the guidescope out of alignment with the imaging scope until a >mag 8 star is in the SG's crosshairs perhaps?

Also the display is so dim that even in a very dark site with good dark adaption, it's very difficult to read. Is this just my model or has anyone found a way to increase the screen brightness?

Hi there. Guiding rings seemed too unstable for me to be used with the SG efficiently. I ended up getting a Baader stronghold micro metric thingy and switched my CG5 to an EQ6. Don't know which one improved things with the SG so much, but i love that combination. I must have shot about 300 5 minutes stills during the summer and didn't have ONE heading for the bin...

• 1 year later...

How is everyone doping with there Nex/Synguiders? I have tried my synguider a couple of times and it is spot on for hours! Find it important to use high mag. Eyepiece and 10-20 brightness with low exp. As possible. I use mine with ST102.

One thing i am qurious about is how you align the guider to either RA or DEC?

• 1 month later...

How is everyone doping with there Nex/Synguiders? I have tried my synguider a couple of times and it is spot on for hours! Find it important to use high mag. Eyepiece and 10-20 brightness with low exp. As possible. I use mine with ST102.

One thing i am qurious about is how you align the guider to either RA or DEC?

Interestingly I was searching this forum because I've had a problem with mine not picking up a guide star. I was tracking M51 the other night but simply couldn't get a star to lock on to (ended up only being able to do 60 second exposures). I'm struggling to get it to work doing DSO stuff where there is nothing bright around sadly.

Interestingly I was searching this forum because I've had a problem with mine not picking up a guide star. I was tracking M51 the other night but simply couldn't get a star to lock on to (ended up only being able to do 60 second exposures). I'm struggling to get it to work doing DSO stuff where there is nothing bright around sadly.

I'm having the exact same issue with M51. It's driving me insane.

If anyone has been able to locate a guidestar near M51 that has let them guide effectively please let me know.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

who's still got there synguider then? ive been thinking of getting one, just not sure if my EQ5 with SW 130-pds + DSLR + ST80 + synguider will put my EQ5 over weight, ideally id like to have the SW 9x50 finder guider setup, just would like to hear 1st hand how the synguider performs with the finder guider setup? 

• 3 months later...

Archived