Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Synguider - A review in parts...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - I've only just found this thread...

Does anyone have any opinion if one of these might work with an 8x50 finderguider? I'd been toying with a QHY5/5v to use with a laptop etc and then came across the stand-alone LVI, which I think would suit me much better...

I've seen, and been advised, that the CMOS chip in the LVI is the same as that in a QHY5v - In fact, I was advised that they'actually the same thing under the plastic, with the LVI having a few add-ons with the handset - but getting guidestar focus is concerning me. As the camera would be attached direct to the finder. there'd be no to review, only the signals on the handset, which has no "live-view" display...

HOWEVER, along comes the Synguider, and lo and behold, not only is it more sensitive and cheaper, but it also has a little display screen!

If the Synguider nosepiece unscrews to reveal a 42mm female thread, that would enable me to attach it to the finder. I'm thinking that I could then sort out a process for focussing the primary element on the finder by using that little screen ie using as bright a star as possible. Not having seen one of these yet, does anyone reckon that would be feasible?

I'm thinking I could then virtually lock down the focusser after that, leave the camera on the finder and then I'd only have to concentrate on finding a suitable star for guiding each time.

(Oh please let it be this simple!)

I tried for the 4th time last night to get the Synguider working on my HEQ5, thats what I bought it for, with no luck. I could only manage 30 seconds guiding before it started pushing the Dec and lost lock on the guide star.

I have tried all the adjustments that were succesful on the CGE to no avail so I am wondering if my 4 year old HEQ5 Pro may have the same problems as your EQ3 Pete.

Did you resolve anything on the EQ3 problem Pete?

Phil

Not really Noel it leaves this up to auto calibration but out of habit I try and get it as orthagonal as possible ensuring that left moves left and up moves up, I always do that on my main rig so its second nature on this then autocal doesnt have to do so much adjustment.

Nick is that update for the HEQ5 as well or just the EQ2?

Philj

I am tempted to buy the Baader LVI SG2. It's not available as yet, but I got a reply to an email suggesting mid. August, but more likely early September. My main reason for the choice of the SG2, is the dedicated guide port for the Autostar. I'm hoping it will be a success, it would save the potential of removing the Meades OTA, and fitting it up to sit on the EQ6 Pro.

Another option is to sell the scope, and buy a C11 OTA.

Ron.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A more recent Email from Baader, puts the release date for the SG2 Version at the End of October. Released to their Dealers that is.

This version is a bit more expensive, but has more bells and whistles.

Autostar Port for Guiding (LX90 etc.) DSLR Control, Electronic Focus control.

Ron.

HEQ5 has been out for a good while, and nothing major reported. The EQ3-2, if your polar align is bang on the money and the guider is not sending out high levels of dec correction, this doesn't appear (as often), but thankfully after a bit of gentle persuasion with Skywatcher, their engineers have replicated the issue, and I have heard are working on a firmware fix. That to me is a result, as China is a long way away, and having dealt with Japan for 16 years, I know how hard it can be to relate and convey issues over that kind of distance. It also re-assures me that Skywatcher and their subsidiaries do take issues seriously and are working flat out to get the best products they can to market. Testament to that is the utter dominance of the EQ6/HEQ5 in the mount market

Yup, operator error:rolleyes:

Guided 3 lots of 10 minutes with ease tonight on the HEQ5. I had to turn the Synguider round 90 degress so it was side on to the ST80 in the diagonal:icon_scratch: but once I did that no worries, even guided through thin cloud.

Took a few wide angle shots with the Canon then the cloud came across wall to wall with not a hint of clearing for ages. Packed away and begger me! Its wall to wall clear:mad: Still, got work tomorrow, must be fresh for that mustnt we:D

Nice to know the Synguider and the HEQ5 are now on talking terms, I can use the mobile rig for what it was intended for now.

Philj

I am considering getting one of these. But time for some silly questions.

I have a celestron travel scope of 70mm would this be ok as a guidescope

What other options are there, my set up is a celestron 8 inch XLT , just seems that with the piggy back mount for the camers, the telrad etc the scope is getting rather cluttered ? :-)

I havent been about much lately but have got out twice in the last month. On both occasions I have used the Synguider on and EQ66 and HEQ-5 Pro without any probs so far.. I haven't changed any of the settings I dont even take that much time with the Polar alignment...

As Nick knows I have never got it to work with the EQ3 Pro but thanks to his persistence it looks like they might finally be doing soemthing about it :D

Peter...

Hi - I've only just found this thread...

Does anyone have any opinion if one of these might work with an 8x50 finderguider? I'd been toying with a QHY5/5v to use with a laptop etc and then came across the stand-alone LVI, which I think would suit me much better...

I've seen, and been advised, that the CMOS chip in the LVI is the same as that in a QHY5v - In fact, I was advised that they'actually the same thing under the plastic, with the LVI having a few add-ons with the handset - but getting guidestar focus is concerning me. As the camera would be attached direct to the finder. there'd be no to review, only the signals on the handset, which has no "live-view" display...

HOWEVER, along comes the Synguider, and lo and behold, not only is it more sensitive and cheaper, but it also has a little display screen!

If the Synguider nosepiece unscrews to reveal a 42mm female thread, that would enable me to attach it to the finder. I'm thinking that I could then sort out a process for focussing the primary element on the finder by using that little screen ie using as bright a star as possible. Not having seen one of these yet, does anyone reckon that would be feasible?

I'm thinking I could then virtually lock down the focusser after that, leave the camera on the finder and then I'd only have to concentrate on finding a suitable star for guiding each time.

(Oh please let it be this simple!)

I've quoted your entire comment as it's worthy of discussion and it saves me retyping your words as they are exactly the same thoughts that I'm currently having :D

Is it possible to attach this Synguider (or the competing LVI) to a finderscope at all? Any guesses on how that will perform?

Just thought I'd add: I have a Skywatcher Explorer 150P on a HEQ5 PRO. If I want to use the Skywatcher Synguider, it seems I'll need an ST80. How does the ST80 attach to the Explorer 150P? Rings screwed onto rings, or do I need another dovetail just like the one I already have, on the other side of the Explorers 150P's rings and then screw it into that?

If so, I need to order the ST80 OTA + "medium" dovetail + autoguider. Or is there something else that I'm missing?

I still would prefer to get a 50mm finderscope and use that but having discussed with steppenwolf over PM it seems that the likely problems of short focal length low brightness (compared to the ST80) will outweigh the weight + cost savings of using a finder/guider?

Archived