Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aftermath of Chinese Lantern Fire

MickyWay

The following pictures show the fire at it’s peak and the aftermath. Believe it or not, that pile of debris is what was left of the shed. The greenhouse behind is (was) in an adjoining garden.

Come to think about it, a lot of us keep our gear in sheds, and I’m just wondering if our opinions of ‘ban or no ban’ would change if we were the victim of an incident like this.

I’d like to thank Jenny and John for allowing me to take the photo of their shed remains.

post-16403-133877448025_thumb.jpg

post-16403-133877448032_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come to think about it, a lot of us keep our gear in sheds,

Too true, my 12" dob is in a a shed, thankfully it's metal. I can only imagine the horror if it were in a shed such as this one with such a valuable piece of equipment reduced to ashes.

To those people who advocate not banning these nuisances, how is it safe to start a fire and then send it up into the sky? They have no control over it and no idea where it might come down. If I fired flaming balls of fire from a catapult, would that be considered safe?

It's exraordinary just what stupidity is allowed in this land of ours.

We welcome our freedoms, of course we do, but not at any price surely. Imagine the outcry had that shed contained children who were unable to get out. Horrific consequences.

Ron.

yep, what's the difference between sending these things up and throwing flaming or smouldering objects into your neighbours garden?!! Just because no-one knows where they come down, doesn't mean they don't come down somewhere, or that they harmlessly land near something non-flamable, or that they always extinguish fully before landing. Definately should be banned, utter stupidity. Problem is, the more publicity they get, the more people will do it. Action will only be taken after several deaths.:D

"ah, but they are pretty..."

Imagine saying to someone -" Oh aye, it's my birthday so I'll be setting a fire then letting it fly off, can land anywhere as far as I'm concerned they look nice up in the air !

Ban the blumming things !!! It'd be a different story if a house with a family in it was the subject instead of a shed ! Criminal negligence/arson/manslaughter where next ??

I do hope these pics have been sent to both local & National papers

Personally, i don't think they should be banned. Granted, using these does pose a threat, albeit a very small threat, however people are saying they should be banned because of this. Take a look at zoo's, for example, how many people have died from interacting with animals (keepers mostly) the number is rather large!, yet their is no talk of closing down a zoo because of this. Ban these and u may as well ban everything in the world because everything can pose a threat....(even going to the toilet :D)

They're banned in China.

There was a petition to parliament to ban them, but petitions are suspended since the change of government:

Petition to: Ban the use and sale of Chinese Lanterns. | Number10.gov.uk

Main activists to get them banned seem to be National Farmers Union and Baroness Janet Fookes.

Chinese Lanterns: Members Of House Of Lords Call For Ban Due To Risk To Livestock | Strange News | Sky News

Arguments against: fire risk, pollution, hazard to livestock and aviation, totally pointless.

Arguments for: the people who set them off think they're pretty.

Can't find anything on Facebook but if anyone starts a page calling for them to be banned I'll sign up.

You guys, there are far more important things to worry about than a few chinese lanterns. I was in Thailand on an anniversary of the tsunami and something like 2000 lanterns were set off, as far as I know no damage was caused by any of these. Yes they probably landed in the nearby woods or amongst local housing but they are no worse than someone throwing a cigarette end out of a car window or a broken bottle magnifying the sun light like a magnifying glass.

This is how they work, you light them then hold onto them until they lift off they then fly higher and higher until the fuel source runs out. Once this has happened they slowly fall to the ground by which time they are not a fire hazard just a paper bag with a bit of wire.

I'm going to set up a Facebook group for people who like them anybody want to join me?

Quite agree that compared with the tsunami, throwing a paper bag in someone's garden is no big deal. But I'd still be annoyed if someone threw a bag in my garden, and I suspect you wouldn't be too pleased either.

I'm not comparing a tsunami with chinese lanterns, I was just saying that I was present on an occasion when loads were set off.

Apart from the photo above has anybody on this forum ever seen any damage caused by one of these lanterns? Or has anybody even found one in their garden? I found one once, no big deal just put it in the bin.

.... no worse than someone throwing a cigarette end out of a car window

Fag ends thrown away, umm, I was just up the road from King's X- remember that !! Moors fires, North Yorks & elsewhere as a few more examples of how safe fag ends are

We do happen to live in a far more densely populated area than Thailand, can anyone guarantee that lanterns will only ever come down once the fuel is extinguished ?? Don't suppose gusting winds and people letting them go in urban areas is a danger then ?

I have just realised I should be looking at the benefits of the blameless tree destroying properties of Chinese lanterns...

If i buy a few hundred of them and launch them at the base of the neighbours trees I could solve my restricted southern horizon problems... Would this circumvent the TPO's...

eBay here I come...

Billy...

You guys, there are far more important things to worry about than a few chinese lanterns. I was in Thailand on an anniversary of the tsunami and something like 2000 lanterns were set off, as far as I know no damage was caused by any of these. Yes they probably landed in the nearby woods or amongst local housing but they are no worse than someone throwing a cigarette end out of a car window or a broken bottle magnifying the sun light like a magnifying glass.

This is how they work, you light them then hold onto them until they lift off they then fly higher and higher until the fuel source runs out. Once this has happened they slowly fall to the ground by which time they are not a fire hazard just a paper bag with a bit of wire.

This is the kind of attitude that should be banned. When someone starts a sentence "As far as I know" you can bet they'll be ill-informed or perhaps dont even want to know as though that lets them off the hook.

Farmers call for ban on Chinese lanterns - Telegraph

and

Agriculture: Chinese Lanterns...: 4 Feb 2010: House of Lords debates (TheyWorkForYou.com)

Then next time you see or use one of these lanterns, say to yourself

"Ooo what a lovely package of death".

I suppose the problem is it was launched to close to the tree... if launched in an open space the chances are this wouldnt have happened.... as they come down once the flame has gone out...

Afraid not Peter, it was launched a few hundred yards away, it just didn't get off the ground enough. This has got to be the main problem with these things, you just do not have any control once you've let them go. I've been in a hot air balloon, and even with an experienced pilot, you need room to manoeuvre because you just cannot judge exactly the ground air currents.

This is the kind of attitude that should be banned. When someone starts a sentence "As far as I know" you can bet they'll be ill-informed or perhaps dont even want to know as though that lets them off the hook.

Farmers call for ban on Chinese lanterns - Telegraph

and

Agriculture: Chinese Lanterns...: 4 Feb 2010: House of Lords debates (TheyWorkForYou.com)

Then next time you see or use one of these lanterns, say to yourself

"Ooo what a lovely package of death".

You want to ban something because one cow died? Do you ever eat beef? If so how many cows have died for you? More than one I would say. And as for the government when did they ever know what was best for us.

You guys, there are far more important things to worry about than a few chinese lanterns.

I'm going to set up a Facebook group for people who like them anybody want to join me?

Good idea Kriss, please feel free to use my photos to promote your cause.

How many injuries do fireworks cause compared to these.

While we are at it we can get 2 birds here....

Pass ... the difference with the lanterns is that the danger range is much larger.

BTW in Northern Ireland you need a licence which costs £80 to purchase fireworks legally.

Archived