Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

sw80ED-DS any comments

hi all still new just wondered if any one had thoughts on this scope,been using my 150-500mm lens on a nikon and just wondered how this would compare or any general observations about this scope will be used with a heq5 mount thanks as always

It's a good scope for DSO work - M31 will just about fit in the FOV if you use the reducer with it. I do recommend getting the reducer http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-85x-reducer-flattener-for-ed80.htmland the M48 T ring and adapter if using a DSLR. Some people say that the focuser is not good but I have had no problems with mine - just make sure the screws are all tightened as you may find one or two a bit loose.

Peter

As Peter says, some people have talked about the focuser not being up to par, but mine worked perfectly smooth right out of the box.

Check the images in the link in my first post. Maybe that will help you decide if it is better than your lens. Many zoom lenses don't make the same quality pictures at all focus length, but I don't know about yours.

The focuser on mine was fairly rough on arrival due to a couple of screws being too tight, but a quick email to FLO soon sorted me out in how to adjust it and it is now very smooth.

I'm really pleased with mine, like everyone is it is perched on an HEQ5 too for AP. I even prefer it for visual observing over my old Astromaster 130.

I'm a bit late to this, but think the ED80 is a brilliant scope for the money. It is way better colour corrected than it has any right to be, and is a better scope than quite a few triplets at much higher cost.  For photography, it works wonderfully for me (albeit with the dedicated and relatively expensive reducer/flattener), with a tweak to the screws to tighten the focuser. For visual, it worked as well as you would expect for a nice 80mm scope, although I haven't looked through one for a long time now.

Really late on this but thanks to my better half I got the ED80 as a combination birthday Christmas present.

I had a chance to use it last night for the first time and I really love it.

Managed to get some shots of M31 for its first light. I was very pleased with the results.

A world of difference from my 6SE OTA. This should last me a good while now. At least until I can

save up the pennies for an Esprit 100  :kiss: . At the rate I'm going, it will take a long time.

Although I've only had a few hours with it, I'm really impressed. I think you will really like it. 

If you are interested I think that there is one thing that lets the ED80 down and that is that it only has 2 thumbscrews to hold whatever you put into the focuser and it is possible that a heavy camera can move. I solved this by drilling a third hole and tapping it to accept a M4 thumbscrew so mine now has 3 retaining thumbscrews - really easy mod to do. You could also get a Baader M56 click lock adapter to replace the retaining ring - I did this on my ED120.

Peter

if i only knew this would be better than my nikon with 150-500mm lens i think i would take the plunge :confused:

Hi

I think it depends on how well your lens performs at 500mm. I guess you can easily compare images taken with the lens with published ones taken by the SW 80ED.

Louise

Archived