Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

130p and basic imaging

I have had a look around on a fair few topics here, and some others elsewhere regarding the difficulties of prime focus imaging with a Explorer 130p. So, from what I gather, it's a no no, unless I want to spend more than the value of the scope on a new focuser, or move the primary up the tube.

However, last night I managed to get this image using a complex system of a compact digital camera, cardboard, insulation tape and a loudly complaining partner:

b31c9de39146ca53020477bd5e589192.jpg

Now, by the standards of the ap forums on here it's nothing special. But I am really happy with it as my first ever image of the moon through a scope. Somy question is:

I have an samsung nx1000. I have the knowledge that it's not a great camera for ap. The 130p isn't the best scope for imaging, and I have practically 0 knowledge of ap. I also have an xbox live cam waiting at home and intend on making the standard changes to get it to fit a scope.

So, Would an eyepiece projection kit plus an nx T ring allow me to get decent lunar/planetary images through my scope? And/or would the web cam work better? Or should I hold off on any imaging until I can upgrade the scope.

About to edit my signature so my scope is there.. But for now it's a standard 130p with a red dot finder, and a standard eq5 mount {no motor drives as of yet)

Like I say I'm not expecting perfect images, but to be able to show friends/family would be fab.

All opinions welcomed!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

cracking moon pic mate - ease back on the exposure a bit, aim for a mid-grey and you should get a lot more detail.

Can't advise on your specific qns though, we don't have any kit in common (apart from the loudly complaining partner, especially at tear-down time at 3am when i turn on all the outside lights and crunch noisily backwards and forwards across the gravel, collapse into bed and then get up at midday)

Awesome shot for a gaffa tape and over the shoulder complaints solution... With ap I read how others had some success with a Xbox modded camera on planets, so if you're willing to modify it, I don't see why you should wait for better gear... Remember there is always better gear no matter what anyone has... So I say experiment... Don't wait... Just be warned that astrophotography can send you bankrupt :-D

I tried a-focal using a projection tube once it came out ok. One issue is the view in the viewfinder can be very dark for focusing.

if you have live view that will help.

oh and good image, like the others say bring the brightness back and contrast up it will be excellent.

You can achieve prime focus with the 130p when you use a barlow, which should be fine with the Xbox cam for planetary imaging and closer shots of the moon. You'll definitely want to use a barlow for  imaging planets.

Archived