NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Automation - hard/software

Corpze

Hi, I am planning of taking the next step of my obsy and make it fully automated.

I know i need some parts to make this happen, switches for my roof, relay board that is ascom-compatible, some sort of weather-station (ascom?)

And of course some software to control it all.

I have already Maxim dl 5 and FocusMax v3, i assume most of you use ACP, but is there other programs?

What kind of hardware do you use?

/Daniel

I am working on a similar project (see this thread) and although I am using a domed observatory, the basic concepts will be the same. ACP is an obvious choice but currently I am looking at using CCD Commander as it too would appear to do all that I need but suits my existing software better. I have it mostly working in simulations but have yet to complete the project as I await my replacement dome.

I am running the scope remote except the roof and initial slew (due to cables to the mount)

The scope is a c9.25

Mount EQ6

Camera Atik 469Ex

Guidecam lodestar X2 oag

I will read your thread steppenwolf!

/Daniel

I use ACP. Currently with my C925 setup too. Obviously make sure your choice of ancillary equipment (roof, cloud/rain sensors etc) have ascom drivers. Before you move from remote control to fully (autonomous) automation, be certain that everything is working correctly and you have safety/failsafe checks in place for things such as the scope is clear of the roof before closing. Anything that you now have to do manually will need to have a way to check it's status & some way to control it, usually by running a script & switching relays. It's surprising how much duress an automated system puts it under. Things that work fine when controlled by a human seem to break when being called countless times by scripted automation. Poor USB cables/connections for instance will have you running around as they can introduce some odd behaviour in an automated system. Once you overcome these things and your system is "tuned" you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. :)

Daniel

Consider MaxPilote which is freeware and does pretty much what you want for interacting with the software controlling your scope and cameras (MaxIM, TSX, etc), your planetarium, equipment (ASCOM drivers) such as dome, RoR, weather monitors, flat panels, etc.

I also like the Icron Ranger USB over LAN extenders for no-drop in communication high speed data transfer. Lastly you could use a Raspberry Pi in your observatory if you need some processing power to replace a permanent PC.

I use all of the above.

Good luck

Roberto

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the response!

I have been evaluating the "top three" programs ACP, Max Pilote and been reading a lot and watching videos of Sequence generator Pro.

Max Pilote is free, and seems capable of managing all my gear. The looks and feel about it seems not so appealing though.

ACP is trusted, works well, lots of features and the web-interface seems awesome! Huge cost though (1050 USD with pinpoint)

This is where SGP comes out to play =)

*i haven't tried the software my self* but it looks great, and it can handle the gear by it self, it is not a program to control ten other programs. It is in comparison to ACP almost free (100 USD) and can use a local copy of astrometry.com

So the software is almost certain to be SGP for me.

The hardware is almost done;

The weather station(s) will be based on boltwood protocol, i will also try to complete my DIY  rain/cloud and integrate that with SGP (arduino based)

The "Stick Station" (You can read the review under members review section) reads the rest of the values like temp, pressure, humidity and calculates dew point and athmosperic refraction.

The observatory control box will be Per Frejvalls and his newly started "hobby-company" Blue Astro ( www.blueastro.se ) Astrobox.

The switches for the roof got installed yesterday, Omron 2NC 1NO. (The 1NO) is a handshake to the control box to let it know that the roof actually is opened or closed.

The one thing i haven't solved yet is the "telescope parked" switch. Do you guys use mechanical switches? light sensors? laser?

// Daniel

I use ACP. Currently with my C925 setup too. Obviously make sure your choice of ancillary equipment (roof, cloud/rain sensors etc) have ascom drivers. Before you move from remote control to fully (autonomous) automation, be certain that everything is working correctly and you have safety/failsafe checks in place for things such as the scope is clear of the roof before closing. Anything that you now have to do manually will need to have a way to check it's status & some way to control it, usually by running a script & switching relays. It's surprising how much duress an automated system puts it under. Things that work fine when controlled by a human seem to break when being called countless times by scripted automation. Poor USB cables/connections for instance will have you running around as they can introduce some odd behaviour in an automated system. Once you overcome these things and your system is "tuned" you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. :)

Hi, I remotely operate a dome situated in UK currently from Spain. Recently I had a problem when the chain snapped with the shutter open, upon issuing the close command Maxim showed the dome closed which of course it was not. I know that it is not applicable directly to your build but.....The moral of my tale is that I only knew the dome was open because I monitor all operations with an IP Camera which I now consider essential, lesson 1. Lesson 2 was I added an All Sky Camera (Oculus) to supliment the cloud sensor and Lesson 3 give a set of keys (or hide a set somewhere) to a trusted neighbour to recover any potentially nasty situation. This all adds to your budget but could save a lot in the long run, luckily I had gone though any potential problem and had the contingency plans in place at least to secure the dome.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

Hi, I remotely operate a dome situated in UK currently from Spain. Recently I had a problem when the chain snapped with the shutter open, upon issuing the close command Maxim showed the dome closed which of course it was not. I know that it is not applicable directly to your build but.....The moral of my tale is that I only knew the dome was open because I monitor all operations with an IP Camera which I now consider essential, lesson 1. Lesson 2 was I added an All Sky Camera (Oculus) to supliment the cloud sensor and Lesson 3 give a set of keys (or hide a set somewhere) to a trusted neighbour to recover any potentially nasty situation. This all adds to your budget but could save a lot in the long run, luckily I had gone though any potential problem and had the contingency plans in place at least to secure the dome.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

i Second that, limit switches with a additional feedback connector (NO in my case) and also some kind of parking switch, (at least for ROR-users as me, don't know if dome users need parking switches.)

I would say a webcam (IPcam) is a must if you have a remote obsy, not least for theft protection.

I have ordered the last bits for controlling my roof remotely. When all hardware is connected, i will get my self a trail-license of SGP and try that :D

Regards, Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

I have just started to use ACP and learning as I go using the simulator.  Love it so far.  I think I have finally honed in on my final software set up :  ACP > Maxim DL Pro > Focus Max > TheSkyX.

That combination seems to give me everything I need, expect PEC Training, for which I am using PEMPro.  I hav etried pretty much everything on the learning curve (dont think there is a single piece of software I havent trialled or bought!). Only thing that requires a lot of tweaking still is Pinpoint.. a bit hit and miss at the moment on successful solves but most likely because my settings are not quite right.

I have just started to use ACP and learning as I go using the simulator.  Love it so far.  I think I have finally honed in on my final software set up :  ACP > Maxim DL Pro > Focus Max > TheSkyX.

That combination seems to give me everything I need, expect PEC Training, for which I am using PEMPro.  I hav etried pretty much everything on the learning curve (dont think there is a single piece of software I havent trialled or bought!). Only thing that requires a lot of tweaking still is Pinpoint.. a bit hit and miss at the moment on successful solves but most likely because my settings are not quite right.

Hi Jaystar,

I got ACP two months ago to trial. At that time I ordered up a rotator and a powered focuser. Been trying to get the focuser ever since. Still no sign. Production delays I'm told. So lost the trial of ACP yesterday. Very annoying . ACP is a great program from what I can see though. I will leave the ACP purchase now until the Autumn.

Derek

Hi Jaystar,

I got ACP two months ago to trial. At that time I ordered up a rotator and a powered focuser. Been trying to get the focuser ever since. Still no sign. Production delays I'm told. So lost the trial of ACP yesterday. Very annoying . ACP is a great program from what I can see though. I will leave the ACP purchase now until the Autumn.

Derek

Yep I am just into my trial.  Really easy to use if you read the instructions fully before you start.  I have a motorised focuser but not a rotator.

Plate solving using pinpoint within ACP is so easy - once you understand that you need to match up FOV with catalogues etc.. and very small FOV's are not ideal.

Next up is a weather station, dome (on order though wont be able to fully automate it as its a skyshed pod) and the rotator, filters and wheel and probably an OAG and I am all set to control my astro world automatically!  :)

I had a small problem with simulators but apart from that excellent. I just wish the firm supplying the focuser would get their skates on, very slow and no feedback as to what is happening.

Derek

Which focuser and firm is it?

Having trialled it for the full trial period using simulations I have finally committed (as I thought I would from the start) to CCD Commander - I love the way it uses my favourite software, MaxIm DL!

Nothing to do with CCD C but I note that my chosen dome control system doesn't appear to confirm aperture closer in software which is a minor concern having read Mike's problem so I may add my own sensor circuit and read it with a script so that unless full aperture closure is noted with 'n' seconds, an alarm condition is raised.

Which focuser and firm is it?

Starizona. Very pleasant on the telephone, but not so good on emailing about status updates. Been waiting over two months now for the motor focuser. Apparently some parts were out of stock. Now there is or was a problem with a bearing. I will get in touch again this next week.

Derek

Starizona. Very pleasant on the telephone, but not so good on emailing about status updates. Been waiting over two months now for the motor focuser. Apparently some parts were out of stock. Now there is or was a problem with a bearing. I will get in touch again this next week.

Derek

The only thing I would say Derek, when you get it it does work a treat!!

Hope that you do not have to wait much longer

Regards

Mike

The only thing I would say Derek, when you get it it does work a treat!!

Hope that you do not have to wait much longer

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Yes, I hear great things about their gear. Hopefully, when done I will be a happy chappie. Just need to get an observatory now and all that other gear to operate it. But that's another story. In the mean time I can only look on and be jealous of those with the gear.

It's an expensive hobby when you decide to go the whole hog. So some saving up to be done.

Regards,

Derek

Archived