SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 05/03 from Bembridge (an unexpected gap in the clouds)

SnakeyJ

I had quite a reasonable and somewhat unexpected evening tonight, with good trans and reasonable seeing for most of the night - though it dropped off mid session and only started to recover for the last 3 runs.

Still a bonus and another late night in the obs.    Conditions were calm, though I had to clear the secondary three times as it was dewing up heavilly.

The first run captures io in transit with the GRS emerging from the western limb:

post-26731-0-56111300-1425602505.png

The pneultimate run is a wider field to take in Europa.

post-26731-0-09650900-1425602487_thumb.p

Winjpos wasn't quite playing ball with the moon alignments tonight, but quite decent for a first pass at the data ;)

Very nice transit! You certainly have imaging Jupiter totally nailed :)

I'm having the same trouble with secondary (and sometimes primary!) dewing with my 300P. Have you made a dew shield and if so, does it help?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Very nice transit! You certainly have imaging Jupiter totally nailed :)

I'm having the same trouble with secondary (and sometimes primary!) dewing with my 300P. Have you made a dew shield and if so, does it help?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks Mitch, definitely getting there (slowly ;) still lots to learn to improve on the processing.

I don't use a dew shield at all now, due to extra windage and to reduce air currents. I have dew heaters but don't turn them on for planetry. A quick blast from a £5 value hairdryer resolves and the secondary cools enough to resume imaging in 2-3 mins.

I spent a lot of trial and error time early on and got lots of good advice here - KISS seemed the most practical approach :-)

Archived