SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New role for the Prof

baggywrinkle

I am very happy that the company I work for is an enlightened one. We fund research at Universities and the owner has offered bursaries in the past to promising students and graduates.

Internally we have an R&D department that is at least 10% of head count (12-15 engineers) as we have to be science led.

From my experience of living and working in Japan, China and Australia I can say that in Japan and China people want to be engineers and scientists.

It is a pity that science and engineering is seen as such a poor relation to economics, the law, politics in the west.

Theres a double irony here in that despite the lack of funding Britain is still very much a world leader in scientific research and development so imagine what an injection of funds could do. Secondly corporations and government infrastructure that are so unwilling to inject investment are the ones who benefit the most from scientific development. Large corporations only seem willing to invest when they can see a direct return for themselves. A couple of very large Swiss banks i have worked for recently were two of the four largest investors in to research on quantum entanglement (the other two being China and the US defence industry) as they can see a direct benefit into security. However sadly i dont think any of the investment was destined for this country. 

I have to say though that in todays schools i cant understand how kids arent interested in science. With most classrooms now equipped with pc's, laptops and tablets the wonders they could be shown should inspire them, its very different seeing the formation of the solar system in a glossy tablet video rather than in a black and white text book. And with todays technological status they are surely more involved with science at every level than any other generation.

I have to say though that in todays schools i cant understand how kids arent interested in science. With most classrooms now equipped with pc's, laptops and tablets the wonders they could be shown should inspire them, its very different seeing the formation of the solar system in a glossy tablet video rather than in a black and white text book. And with todays technological status they are surely more involved with science at every level than any other generation.

It is hard to understand.  I wonder if at least some of it isn't down to the fact that it's just so easy to sit and be entertained with minimal effort now?  As a child I often had to go and find things to do to keep myself occupied in the evenings and school holidays, so I learnt about all sorts of stuff just by mucking about with it and that in turn led me to want to know more about how stuff worked.  Now as often as not an unoccupied child probably just reaches for their tablet or phone or ipod and plays candy crush or minecraft.

We also now have (more than) a generation of people who watch television programmes about science (and gardening and cookery and who knows what else) as pure entertainment without any thought of perhaps actually going out and attempting some of the stuff they've seen or finding out more about it.

James

Is it just me or does 'Professor for Public Engagement in Science' sound like a made up job by the Royal Society? I hope the man is doing a job there rather than just being a poster boy because I think he's been rather good at engaging the public as it stands. Most of my family (who have no interest in astronomic matters) know who Brian Cox is which says a lot. 

Is it just me or does 'Professor for Public Engagement in Science' sound like a made up job by the Royal Society? I hope the man is doing a job there rather than just being a poster boy because I think he's been rather good at engaging the public as it stands. Most of my family (who have no interest in astronomic matters) know who Brian Cox is which says a lot. 

It may be the first time the Royal Society has had the role, but a number of universities do something along the same lines.  Alice Roberts, Jim Al-Khalili and Richard Dawkins have all held similar positions.

James

Remember -

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who, at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat"

In short, let's not be too hasty to criticise the Professor. He cares enough to stand up

Archived