Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Luminos Eye Piece

Geospacial

Morning all,

I've briefly mentioned this topic in another thread, but thought I would give it its own.

I have a Skywatcher Explorer 150p telescope and am looking to upgrade my EP's over the next few months. I have been looking at the X-cel's but stumbled across a place that sells the Luminos from around £80 to 180 for the 25mm. A couple of the EP's are 2", but I have an adapter that was included with my 'scope.

My question really is.........would these wide field of view EP's (82 degrees of I remember correctly) be wasted on my f5 scope? The Barlow in this range is a 2.5x.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not used a Luminos but I don't think ultra wide eyepieces are wasted on smaller aperture scopes. I've owned and used Naglers and Ethos in my scopes for some years now and they have been great even in 80mm scopes. The 31mm 82 degree eyepieces are very large and heavy though so can upset the balance of some scopes so it's worth being aware of that.

Thanks for your advice again John.

I have seen that the 2" EP's are big beasts!!

I am thinking more towards the X-Cels now. They still have a good FOV and all sizes have the same price.

I hadn't realised that FLO's website has quite a good simulation for the EP's to give an example of what you would see for scope/EP combination.

Thanks again.

Al

I have been watching this thread  :icon_cyclops_ani:

@ Geospatial, the Celestron Luminos are very good eyepieces but they are not recieving the attention they deserve so here's an offer: If you purchase the lower priced Celestron X-Cel LX eyepiece we'll loan you the Luminos equivalent for comparison. When you have decided which one you prefer simply return the other. If you decide you prefer the more expensive Luminos we'll charge only the difference. In return we ask only that you share your experience using the eyepieces, good or bad, here at SGL :smile:

HTH, 

Steve 

Hi Geospacial, FLO have done me a good turn like this in the past, if you are unsure which to get then it sounds like a great offer, you would get to try both :)

OK I'm going to say it please don't shoot me, I would love John to review these eyepieces also.

@ Geospatial, the Celestron Luminos are very good eyepieces but they are not recieving the attention they deserve so here's an offer: If you purchase the lower priced Celestron X-Cel LX eyepiece we'll loan you the Luminos equivalent for comparison. When you have decided which one you prefer simply return the other. If you decide you prefer the more expensive Luminos we'll charge only the difference. In return we ask only that you share your experience using the eyepieces, good or bad, here at SGL :smile:

HTH, 

Steve 

That is a great offer, I'm impressed. I wish there was a vendor here that would do this.

My 3 Luminos work well, I was using the 7mm the other night on Jupiter and it was really good, with a cool tone. It is also very good on the moon, competing with more expensive eyepieces.

OK I'm going to say it please don't shoot me, I would love John to review these eyepieces also.

John must surely be SGL's most trusted reviewer of eyepieces, I am surprised the astro mags haven't asked him to write their reviews. Rest assured if he wants to review any of our eyepieces we'll happily loan them to him but I know he is a busy man and good reviews are time consuming so we don't want to be presumptuous. 

But I can guess what's going to happen to the extra £30. :D

We'll probably spend it on Nespresso coffee pods and Jaffa Cakes  :biggrin:

Steve

HTH, 

Steve 

Hi Steve,

I put an order in for the 25mm and barlow X-cel with you this afternoon, but what you offer sounds great.

Hi Steve, I have sent you an email to the address listed on your website.

PS I don't think my review will be as detailed as ones I have read from John in the past!!

Your order has already been dispatched so we'll dispatch the Luminos separately, the 25mm X-Cel LX eyepiece and barlow will be with you Monday and the loaned Luminos will arrive 2-3 days later. The nearest equivalent Luminos is the 23mm with 2" nosepiece, does your Newtonian have a 2" focuser?  Just read your earlier post, your Explorer 150p has a 2" focuser and at f5 it is a good telescope for reviewing eyepieces. 

Don't worry about writing a full-on review like John's, just compare the eyepieces and let us know here at SGL in your own words what you like/dislike about them. Please post your thoughts straight to the forum, there is no need to send them to us first, and take your time. Knowing our UK weather you will probably need at least a month :smile:

HTH, 

Steve

Delos (16/20)  came out best, followed by Ethos (15/20) which lost points for cost and ergonomics.

Pentax XW (12/20) and Nikon NAV10-SW (11/20) are 3rd and 4th

Takahashi Tak10-UW (10.5/20) and Celestron Luminous (8/20) ended in 5th and 6th place.

The Luminous 10 mm was tested with five other 10 mm ultrawides on an optical bench (by ciel et espace dot fr). It did not come out best, but the reviewers think it would be a good choice for focal ratios of f/7 or slower. 

Its a shame ES82 11mm is just 1mm out for the test, it would have been nice to see the Luminos 10mm compared to something roughly in the same price bracket. The other eyepeices are high end glass so you would expect them to score higher. 

The Luminos are very cheap for an 82 degree eyepiece, this should definately be taken into account :) 

Archived