NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Did I just see a white light solar flare? 3/12/14 midday

Moonshane

I have just observed the sun and done my usual sketches but when I started on the main large sunspot and group, I noticed a pale spot just below and left of centre (refractor view) of the main umbra - just on the joint between the umbra and penumbra. I have made a sketch which I will upload later but am interested to see if any imagers concur with my observation.

That's not rubbish at all, Shane! And personally, I feel you may have identified something curious occurring on the Sun. I won't have time to go out today, but yesterday, where you say the flare is (where the umbra/penumbra join), I too saw a small bright white stream. The sketch doesn't exhibit the fact too prominently, but it may go some way of confirming your suspicions :smiley:

post-21324-0-22155100-1417611734.jpg

There are no X-class flares today, just hovering around very small C-class flares, check here by clicking GOES X-rays http://www.solarmonitor.org/

So I think not a WL flare, however what I think it is, is a 'penumbral grain' which are bright points on the edge between the penumbral filaments and the umbra. This can last for just a short time and be quite bright. A WL flare is usually associated with a massive X-class.

An excellent sketch though :) :) :)

Alexandra

Yup! Affirm all the above. Great spot and reasonable viewing today although wispy high cloud and I have to dodge tree branches 'cos he's so low just now. (Roll on 22nd and beyond!)

Couldn't say I picked up on any flare, Shane, but that's not to say you're wrong. Excellent sketch.

All this interesting stuff happens when it's cloudy here, keep looking at Helioviewer to see what I'm missing, weather says brilliant blue sky (and frost) for Saturday, mind it said sunny periods for today but I haven't seen any yet :)

Dave

I took 10 sets from 11.58, each lasting around half a minute. Here are the vids, compressed into just under 2 minutes.  I don't see any bright activity in the area you mention though.  

This was a couple of hours earlier though. Is this bright loop in the umbra a flare perhaps?

post-9374-0-64997900-1417637255.gif

One is suffering from a late night last night (bit of lunar and then Jupiter grabbed my attention) as had the day off work today! Here's a quick effort with my Equinox 120, Herschel wedge and 2x barlow from 11.20am-ish. Seeing not super brill but so much better than Sunday, wohoo!:

15940172772_0aca0fe727_o.jpg

Oh Luke how can you post such a fantastic image directly underneath my paltry efforts??  Have you no pity? :laugh:  You are only a dozen miles or so down the road from me so I can't even claim we are working under wildly different seeing conditions....

Love the level of detail there; beautiful to look at.  

I think I got slightly better detail with this one?

15757414040_649ddcb3e1_o.jpg

This was with a 3x Barlow about 20 mins later. The 3x Barlow was rather optimistic with the reasonable seeing at the time and I have downsized the image a lot, but it was such a lovely spot that I couldn't help myself trying! Ahem, made me a little late for lunch with the Mrs, but we still managed to squeeze pudding in :grin:  Shoudda gone for a full disc instead with the 60mm, though Steve got a great full disc anyway :laugh:

You're too kind, Iain! I get a lot of help from my Grasshopper 3 mono camera (similar to the one used by the astrophotographer of the year of the entire solar system, I believe :grin:). I think you are using a colour camera? There's a ton of detail in your 2x Barlow 6 pane mosaic... :icon_salut:

Ah thanks mate.  Yes, it's the Skyris 618C. I'm hoping for a big cheque from mum and dad for xmas  (I'm only 51 years old by the way ;-) so will be taking advice on which mono camera to go for then. 

Archived