SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter before breakfast!

bond19

Woke at 6:10am and had to leave for work at 6:45am

So grabbed my 102 frac for a quick 15mins with Jupiter (love the grab n go aspect of this scope.) With no cool down times really needed it allowed a quick fix of planetary wonder. It was the first time using my new scope on the planets and only had an Ethos 13mm to vue (x64) but man what a sight. Lovely framing with the wide screen view. The planet just hung their in open space with shape detail across the surface and its accompanying moons beautifully framed too.

Just wish I had a bit more reach. Gonna have to order new eyepieces now!

I can totally see what the refractor guys mean now, with the sharp, contrasty and unobscured views (not wanting to open a debate, just passing comment).

I was overjoyed with the view. Can't wait to have some serious time with Jupiter, plus a couple of more eyepieces. The best is definitely yet to come!

Ain't nothin' like it, early morn is the new prime time for planets! You'll get cracking views of Jupiter in that scope and enjoy buying more glass for it. Second your comment on refractor views. As just a preference, it certainly is pleasing, and Jupiter is a supreme target for such a rig. I saved Jupiter for the end of my session ~5am and the view was great, being so high in the sky.

Clear skies, Kevin

Up early today for an astronomical treat. I witnessed my first ever shadow transit on Jupiter. This is NOT my photo I hasten to add, but I just posted to show approximately what I saw through the eyepiece. It's really was a lovely sight. What's missing in this photo is all four Galilean moons which were suspended around the Jupiter in the eyepiece of my telescope, and which really framed the planet beautifully.

post-5588-0-51062800-1416300879.jpg

Dude, it was an amazing sight! I woke up at 4:30 to mixed cloud and thought it was worth a look. Once positioned on Jupiter the shadow was as obvious as a naval! I was chased in by cloud but a half hour later was clear again; perfect to ultimately get a lovely view of the waning crescent Moon with a phenomenal earthshine.

Haven't seen a moon transit before so can't compare, but you're right Special K, this one once deep black and a clear, well resolved disc. I absolutely loved the view! Missed the moon though (had to pack up to get to work)

I was at x175 and lucky to be using high end optics and excellent eyepieces which I'm sure helped tease out the best views. Also I was observing Jupiter in the early morning when the atmosphere is usually at its most stable. Plus Jupiter was at a very high elevation, so all these factors definitely complimented the views I was rewarded with.  

The trick that works for me is an early night beforehand. Then I'll start rousing somewhere around 4 or 5. A peek out the window usually determines there will be more sleep ;) but not always. The Dawn Watch can be very tranquil. Clear (morning) skies!

Archived