NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astro Systems scope covers?

Does anyone use these scope covers? Are they worth the cost?

I'd like something like it to replace the huge piece of tarp usually either gets forgotten about and left at home or gets covered in sheep poo..

Any other scope covers worth a look? I'm all ears. :)

BTW this is for my 16".

I use one of these covers Mike, the 16LX 12" dob version. Originally with my 12" flextube, it also fits comfortably with my VX14.

The material is soft and I can slip this over the tube quickly should a sudden shower emerge. For the same reason it is easy to remove. I like the profile / shape so not so bulky or flappy with excess material. It is durable, packs away small and breathable should it be required to leave over the scope for a long period of time. Being white, will also reflect the sun if this is required to. I just have to remember to be mindful of any gusts, as on one occasion with occasional cross winds, the wet fabric almost acted a bit like a sail nearly toppling the light VX tube (on its fairly narrow dob base). So I am happy with mine and never go out observing without taking this along, but would not like to say if it is worth the cost though.

Thanks Iain

I could remember someone on here having one but couldn't remember who!

Well that sounds promising anyway. I've been caught out a couple of times waiting for the evenings clouds to pass and then hit by a brief shower.

Yes your right its a lot of money for what it is but just having something decent to cover an expensive scope should be worth it as long as its durable hough to last a few years.

I'II see if there any other replies and suggestions crop up, if not I may go for one.

Hi Mike et al,

I have one of these scope covers:-http://www.green-witch.com/acatalog/Cases_and_Bags.html

I use it for the same reasons as already mentioned and at star parties. I use it to cover my 150P mounted on an NEQ6, it probably comes 3/4 of the way down the tripod legs, but has a drawstring incorporated in to the bottom of it. I suspect i am going to have to get another or something similar for Dob once its finished.

Ian

I still have one of those Ian from when I had my Mak/HEQ5, it was very good but even though its quite large it still won't cover either of my dobs.

I see Widescreen sell Telegizmos covers but I think I still prefer the look of the Astro Systems, I suppose If I get the one for the 16" it will cover my 10" aswelll so I may order today. :)

Here are two pictures of the cover - folded and in use. My scope is 72.5cm tall when upright on the mount. There is a draw string toggle to the base. Whilst it does look a bit phantom like, there is no chance of accidentally bumping into it.

post-22819-0-38022600-1406971173_thumb.j

post-22819-0-19504300-1406971185_thumb.j

What about a camping toilet tent Mike? I got one for about £25 quid, and use it without the frame to throw over when in storage and when leaving out to cool or until the morning. Will be handy for longer camping spells too when I will use the frame and keep the scope inside with better protection. This is the one...http://www.skcamping.com/kampa-loo-loo-toilet-tent-2014.html

I only know the Telegizmos covers, which are popular with guests bringing thier own scopes. They are very serious, robust items rather than light throw overs for occasional use. I'd certainly use them myself if I needed one.

Olly

Archived