Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I am looking for a good starter scope for my daughter. She is just 7 but already joins me with evening observations. Not the cheapest, that just puts an end to her interest. I found this one : Skywatcher AC 80/400 star travel AZ-3

Does anyone have experiments with this scope. Is it any good or just a waste of money.

Other suggestions!!!

Skywatcher-Teleskop-AC-80-400-StarTravel

I have an orion variant of this scope... I think it's it's very capable, but it's tough on EP's at f5.. I've bar lowed up to around 80x and with a semi apo filter it was good on Saturn.. And the moon was good too... It's best for sweeping wider field views though..

I think they are popular for guide scopes too...

As it happens I've also owned a evostar90... Not much more I believe, easier on EP's and better for planets.. Might be worth an option..

That scope will show a great deal of worthwhile views.

As you have a very nice Tal 125, you will be able to manage your daughter's expectations as to what can be seen.

The 80/400 works best at low to medium power, as long as she realises that, and with your guidance, she could have a lot of good stargazing. Will work at higher power, but that's not where they are at their best.  So much better than a "department store" scope.  You can let her see high power views with your Tal 125.

Regards, Ed.

The ST80 will be a nice start for her.

It is a nice size, 80mm is a reasonable aperture, the optics are not great, the scope being an f/5 achromat so will show some colour aberration on bright objects - moon and the brighter planets and around some stars.

The next one would be the Evostar 90, somewhat bigger, but if the interest remains she can use it for some time.

Somewhere ther is a 90mm f/6.5 (approx) scope, just cannot locate it anywhere at present.

That is a bit bigger on aperture and mid way between the ST and Evostar.

Will agree that the price difference between the Evostar 90 and the ST 80 is not great and the Evostar would be a better scope for longer use then the ST 80. The additional length of the Evostar may be the problem, leave you to judge that aspect in relation to your daughter.

The Heritage 130p's are a popular scope. It's a lot more aperture than the 80mm, it's still pretty small and light, but it does have some disadvantages:

- It'll need collimated from time to time (though mine holds collimation very well)

- It'll need to cool more than a refractor. That said, I don't find this a problem - I just start at lower power.

- At f5 it might be a bit hard on the zoom eyepiece. I don't know that for sure, but I am a bit suspicious.

- The focusser is pretty basic on these scopes. It works, but sometimes needs a little grease or teflon tape to improve it a bit.

- I would worry about the exposed secondary mirror getting fingerprints with some (though not all) children.

All that said, I love mine; it gets used a lot more than my 10". It's so much easier to get out.

Oh, and I use mine by setting it on the floor, and then sitting next to it on a camping chair.

I like the size of the ST80. I was also thinking at this one:Skywatcher Heritage flextube 130/650

Skywatcher-Dobson-Teleskop-N-130-650-Her

The Heritage 130 is a great scope, good for beginners, or anyone who want's a very portable no hassle scope, at a very reasonable price.

A senior member of my club bought one earlier this year, he was fed up with his scopes go-to antics, and doesn't get much time to observe. He's been into astronomy for decades, so that's a good recommendation.

I've seen him use it on a portable folding table, but post # 8 is an interesting solution for the H 130s low height.

Regards, Ed.

The Heritage is a great scope but seems more fragile. It´s gone be the Skywatcher 80/400.

With zoomlens, 45 degree diagonal and maybe a semi APO filter.

She can enjoy this scope for many many years. I really hope she keeps her intrest for astrnomy.

Otherwise I will have a nice traveller scope.

I cant help but think that the SLO-MO controls on the above scope really may not be suited for a child. They can be stiff,slow and honestly can hurt your finger tips when attaching (although with a dad to help.....................shouldnt be too bad). 

I'm wondering if this scope can be mounted on an AZ4?

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A2KLj9FP0t9TehoAo6tNBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTIydTM5amwyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM3MjZhYjhmMTZlZWI2ZGI3OWIxMDE5MzdlMWZkMzFkNwRncG9zAzEEaXQDYmluZw--?back=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Daz4%2Bmount%26fr%3Dcrmas%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D1&w=645&h=800&imgurl=tavcso.hu%2Fkepek%2Faz4.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Ftavcso.hu%2F%3Fo%3Dtermek%26id%3D123%26n%3Den&size=82.3KB&name=SkyWatcher+%3Cb%3EAZ4+mount%3C%2Fb%3E&p=az4+mount&oid=726ab8f16eeb6db79b101937e1fd31d7&fr2=piv-web&fr=crmas&tt=SkyWatcher+%3Cb%3EAZ4+mount%3C%2Fb%3E&b=0∋=21&no=1&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=116tpbvjd&sigb=132tid4hi&sigi=10n16v5m7&sigt=10r3th18l&sign=10r3th18l&.crumb=EjY8s2noSw4&fr=crmas&fr2=piv-web

An AZ4 could offer quicker gratification to a kid as it basically involves pointing the scope: UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT.

The SW Heritage is a great scope and really suited for kids (amongst others............everyone in fact). Its a case of up/down/left/right. Its set up in seconds, but "sticky fingers" could be an issue on the secondary. It depends on how well house trained your kids are.

LOL.

Interesting, I will take her to the store and look at both mounts. I have only used equator mounts, so I can say much about AZ mounts, just that they seem very easy to use.

Alt-Az mounts are that easy to use and thats the beauty of them when considering them being used by kids. EQ (Equatorial) mounts with their SLO-MO knobs can be a nightmare to use......................even for adults. Kids appreciate the quickness and simplicity of Alt-Az mounts.

Kill two birds with one stone. Buy your kid the Heritage 130P and also the other one you are thinking of but with an AZ4 mount. IF you can afford it. Depending on which one she prefers................it still leaves you with a perfectly good working portable travel scope. Its a win/win situation.

You will have two great scopes and an AZ4 for around 500 squids. The Heritage 130P can even be mounted on the az4.

More options, and I thought that I was sure about my decision. Both is no option but a Heritage on mount seems also a good idea.I am not keen on the construction and needing a table.

They have both scopes and mounts with "Stjärnhuset" her in Sweden.  The owner  (Robert J Dalby from GB) will also give some good advice. 

More options, and I thought that I was sure about my decision. Both is no option but a Heritage on mount seems also a good idea.I am not keen on the construction and needing a table.

They have both scopes and mounts with "Stjärnhuset" her in Sweden.  The owner  (Robert J Dalby from GB) will also give some good advice. 

Trust me. I am in a wheelchair and i can use the Heritage fine when it is placed on the ground. A child will also be able to use it while standing or in a seated position.

It annoys me that the Heritage is sold as a "tabletop" scope. It is, but it doesnt need to be. It works fine from a tabletop standing position, or a seated position.

I use mine with it on the floor and I sit on a folding chair if I want more height I plonk it on an upturned bucket.

Easy to make a shroud to cover the sides.

Last thought as a scope it looks very different from 'Dad's' and this may or may not be a problem it also looks different to what a child may perceive a telescope should look like.

That was the first she said about the Heritage, Is that a telescope??

I use myself a folding chair. The Heritage is probably a bit bigger than I thought. If she could use a chair it will be fine.

I have to see the scopes before I make a decision. If it was for myself it would be the Heritage.

• 2 weeks later...

The slow-motion controls and Nikita make me choose the Star-traveler 80/400. It was no surpris that she would prefer the 80/400. She just didn´t liked the Heritage very much. No matter how much I tried to sell it. How it looks is of course important for a child. If she would show no further interest in astronomy, I will have a very nice wild-field, finder and traveler scope !

I placed the order and very soon we will find out how good it is.

I enjoy my ST80 and I like the AZ3. I keep it at my parents. Have just made a counter weight bar for the tripod which will help with zenith viewing and will mean I won't need to crank right up the altitude nut.

On the moon just remove the smaller centre cap it helps with CA.

Hope you enjoy yours.

The counter weight idea is illustrated in these three threads.

In case you find you want to play the idea too.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/222894-az3-saddle-and-counterweight-mod/?fromsearch=1

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/208717-new-arrival/?fromsearch=1

http://www.spacegazer.com/index.asp?pageid=97490

The other reason I did it was so I could attach my DSLR to it and the weight would be balanced.

Archived