Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Panstarrs C2012-K1 passing Alkid and M51

Managed to grab a few frames of comet Panstarrs 2012-K1 passing close Alkid and M51 with the modded Canon 600D and 200mm lens last night.

This is a stack of 12 frames of 120 sec each @ 1600iso, it's closing in on M51 so well worth a look.

Mel

post-4305-0-24090100-1398861909_thumb.jp

Nicely done Mel.

Hopefully I'll get to look at in over the next few nights if we get some clear skies.

is it me, or does the comet have a green tinge to it? Is that an artefact of the capture/processing or is it really green?

Cheers

Ian

That is great information and a great image, nice one Mel.

In the past I've struggled to see any colour in the coma/tails of comets, especially visually (as you would expect), so it is really nice to see it in images. :)

Cheers

Ian

Another Panstarrs K1 from last night, half a dozen 180sec shots with 60Da ISO1600 on 100mm refractor no calibration and guided on stars so you can see how fast it's moving.

Wondering now if I could have fitted M51 in doh. No just had a quick look on Stellarium and would have needed the 200mm lens.

Dave

post-21198-0-73621800-1398882393_thumb.j

Looks awfully light now it's uploaded

Nice capture. It's very interesting to see how green this actually is, as when i processed my data on it, i thought it was my color balance that was way off and tried to correct it. Little did i know it actually was perfect - untill i removed the strong green cast... :p

Archived