NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Keeping a log - why and how?

Jove

So, I've been wondering what I can do to get a bit more serious.

One thing I've done only intermittently is keep a log book. I've written down what I have seen each session, made a few (bad) sketches and little diagrams to show how to find things. I've kept it chronologically, but sometimes wonder if I should organise it by target viewed. Anyway, I can't say I have got that much out of it - so I was wondering if any diligent log-keepers might share what you log and how it adds to your enjoyment.

Thanks!

I log mine by making a note in an a5 notebook of each session and what I've seen then I tick of a ngc list I have and a Herschel 400 book with a list and on my A3 star atlas I underline each ngc object to avoid double ticks.I usually do a bit if browsing the day before and select a constellation area I'm after based on observation times/weather,darkness of viewing site then select targets I'm after.the day after observing I update my ticklists for ngc,Caldwell,Herschel,galaxies etc.

Works for me :)

Every year I buy an A4 page to a day diary and I write all my observations in it.  It's only a personal thing, but I prefer to have all my observations sorted by date rather than subject.  Mind you, if I weren't so lazy I'd probably index they all some how.

The sky above my head varies in terms of darkness, transparency and seeing. I have owned a few scopes in my time and it's fascinating reading what can be seen through each aperture. I usually make a note of the date, time, which objects I had observed, magnification and notes of structural detail. If I could stay warm I would love to sketch what I see...

If there is a little fuel left in this old bird I will log the observations as soon as the session is over but usually wait until the following morning.

Jove,

I am going to keep an electronic log by using the calendar provided in outlook. I will be logging craters of the moon mainly to start, I will also be noting the quality of the seeing, the time I spend viewing and the viewing location :smiley:

This is an interesting thread as being of the lazy persuasion the only logging I've done is to make brief notes on the Messiers as I observe them on an exel spreadsheet.

Keep thinking I should be more methodical but hey so long as you're having fun does it matter.

Hi Jove, a log maintained on a pc can be very handy (always back up as you go onto a memory stick). I normally note date/time/temperature/weather conditions/time of observations along with what I have observed and add pictures off the Internet of the objects (I don't do much ap). I have also included photo's of my equipment and added tables of observing stats (e.g. number of observations by month/by equipment and Messier objects viewed). Fascinating to look back and even compare years. You might also want to compile records of astronomical/space events-for example last year compiled a 42 page account covering the build up and passing of Comet ISON. In 2012 I made similar records on the transit of Venus and the Curiosity landing both using NASA tv frame grabs. It just extends the hobby for me and provides interesting reading looking back.

Cheers,

Steve

This is an interesting thread as being of the lazy persuasion the only logging I've done is to make brief notes on the Messiers as I observe them on an exel spreadsheet.

Keep thinking I shoud be more methodical but hey so long as you're having fun does it matter.

Astro imp that is actually a better idea than you make it out to be.

For a start you can sort all varios objects by whatever data you choose to store. You can add links to any additional files such as photo's, sketches etc and all can be accessable from just one place. Actually thinking about it, its a genius idea astro Iits a genius idea, well done.

I think I shall put one together shortly

Steve

Astro imp that is actually a better idea than you make it out to be.

For a start you can sort all varios objects by whatever data you choose to store. You can add links to any additional files such as photo's, sketches etc and all can be accessable from just one place. Actually thinking about it, its a genius idea astro Iits a genius idea, well done.

I think I shall put one together shortly

Steve

Glad you like the idea.

Here is a blank spreadsheet for you to play with:- 

mobjects.xlsx

I've just started to use the observations section in sky safari. What I like is as well as recording the info, if I say go into the info page on Venus it will give me a list of all the dates and times I observed Venus . I can just click on one and view my comments.

post-20507-0-29308300-1388960413_thumb.j

I can make comments on any custom observation list I create, or any object in the set observation lists. Any objects that are marked with a tick have an observation.

post-20507-0-69732700-1388960561_thumb.j

I've only just begun to use it properly because southern stars have only recently added a few good features to this part of the app. This latest release has made it a good means of recording and storing the info. Not sure whether I'll keep it up but I hope so because they'd be good to look back on.

• 2 weeks later...

I do like the idea of a log - what I am intending to do is create not so much as a blog but more a calendar of monthly sightings from my current location which I will keep up to date online within the astronomy section on my homepage together with notes of objects "coming into view" or "disappearing out of view". That way, in a years time I will know what Messier/NGC objects to plan for.  As you can tell .... my sky knowledge is sadly lacking but hoping this way it might help me in the future  :)

Steve

I have an A5 log book that I use sort of more as a diary than a serious scientific record. It's a nice reminder of what I've seen, and you could describe my astronomy as a sort of space tourism.

I also have a spreadsheet with the Messier, Caldwell and Herschel 400 catalogs, the the Coldfield and Astronomical League double star catalogs, and I mark things off those as I see them. I may be a bit too organised, but with British skies, there's plenty of time to be so...

I do prefer a book for the less structured information, my notes, etc.. That way I just stick drawing, cuttings, charts, etc.. into it.

Archived