Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader 2" CoolCeramic Herschel Solar Wedge

You can now order a Baader CoolCeramic Herschel Solar Wedge from First Light Optics :glasses9:

Features include a Zeiss prism, Baader's own CoolCeramic heat trap, a built-in solar projection screen (easier to find and centre the Sun) and Baader's 2" ClickLock eyepiece clamping system.

The visual model comes with a pre-installed ND3.0 filter (required for safe viewing) and a 2" Continuum Filter. The Photographic model is the same but is supplied with three additional ND filters. All the ND filters feature Baader's anti-reflection multi-coatings to minimise light scatter and ghosting for maximum image contrast.

Generally regarded as the BEST Herschel wedge available!

Please do compare our prices :smiley:

baader_cool_ceramic_herschel_wedge_2956500v.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there such a big improvement in using one of these on say an ED80 over a Baader solar film filter in front of the scope that it would be worth spending £400 odd on it?

Is there such a big improvement in using one of these on say an ED80 over a Baader solar film filter in front of the scope that it would be worth spending £400 odd on it?

There is no doubt Baader's Herschel Wedge will outperform their Astrosolar film. But, Astrosolar film is remarkably good so the difference will not be huge. Performance aside, the Herschel wedge is a more convenient solution, particularly if you own more than one refractor, and includes the Baader solar continuum filter.

It will be interesting to hear from owners of both.

HTH :smiley:

It's a great piece of kit and provides outstanding views for visual and imaging. I also bought a Baader CS adapter for mine that connects a camera directly (real good idea) so camera position is always the same and it helps keep out dust too.

I bought mine thanks to help from a few of the well established forum members.

Yes. Sorry, but yes! Well, I haven't compared them in the ED80 but have done so in the Tak FS60 and TEC140. There is granulation I don't see through Baader solar film and the sunspot detail is certainly finer. Like all things optical the wedge brings a little more for a big increase in spending. But you'll be used to that unfortunate phenomenon by now!!

Olly

In terms of the difference between the two specs - would it be possible to remove the 3 additional ND filters supplied for photographic use to just use it as visual - then swapping when necessary?

I thought solar filtering for visual required ND 5.0?

The actual prism part has an ND value around 1.35. For visual use you would typically use an ND3 filter plus a contunuum filter which is roughly equivalent to an ND of 0.6 as far as light blocking is concerned. Add all that up and it rounds up to ND 5.0.

It's a great piece of kit and provides outstanding views for visual and imaging. I also bought a Baader CS adapter for mine that connects a camera directly (real good idea) so camera position is always the same and it helps keep out dust too.

Was it this one? :smiley:

In terms of the difference between the two specs - would it be possible to remove the 3 additional ND filters supplied for photographic use to just use it as visual - then swapping when necessary?

The Visual and Photographic Baader Herschel Wedge both come with a pre-fitted ND3 filter and a Solar Continuum filter. The ND3 filter must be in place for visual use. The Solar Continuum filter may be removed and exchanged with another neutral density filter. The ND3 filter should only be removed for photography, when it can be exchanged for one of the other ND filters supplied with the Photographic version to achieve shorter exposure times.

Please see page-5 of the instruction manual (downloadable from our website) for more info.

HTH,

Steve

Was it this one? :smiley:

Yes that was one part, I also got the Baader Adapter C-Mount to T2 female with integrated IR cut filter (BA2958520i) adapter too for my DMK41. A bonus for SCT owners is that the 2" clik lock eyepiece holder fits on the SCT :smiley: if you keep the above adapters on the herschel wedge.

The Visual and Photographic Baader Herschel Wedge both come with a pre-fitted ND3 filter and a Solar Continuum filter. The ND3 filter must be in place for visual use. The Solar Continuum filter may be removed and exchanged with another neutral density filter. The ND3 filter should only be removed for photography, when it can be exchanged for one of the other ND filters supplied with the Photographic version to achieve shorter exposure times.

Please see page-5 of the instruction manual (downloadable from our website) for more info.

HTH,

Steve

I misunderstood Steve, having read the manual it all makes sense however.

The manual is very informative, and I'm surprised that according to their tests, a 6" F/10 refractor can produce 600C+ in direct sunlight at the focal point.

Steve, does the unit itself ever get heated up by the Sun, or does it have a limit in the amount of time it should be used without cooling down (if it needs to)?

Steve, does the unit itself ever get heated up by the Sun, or does it have a limit in the amount of time it should be used without cooling down (if it needs to)?

The magnesium body houses a very effective 'heat cage' which includes a special heat-absorbing ceramic tile. Like on a space shuttle the ceramic tile traps the radiant energy without overheating its surroundings. Also the heat cage is separate from the prism body (attached using only four screws) so there is very little heat transmitted to the prism, so there is no restriction on how long you can observe or image using the Baader Herschel Wedge.

I've tried white light solar imaging in the past but with the non-summers we've had in the last couple of years I haven't done any. With a touch of real summer this year and difficult nights I'm thinking i might have another go. I already have a Baader solarfilm filter for the ED80. Two in fact - one full size and one in the smaller hole in the cap. I've never tried solar imaging with a mono CCD camera - only DSLR.

The magnesium body houses a very effective 'heat cage' which includes a special heat-absorbing ceramic tile. Like on a space shuttle the ceramic tile traps the radiant energy without overheating its surroundings. Also the heat cage is separate from the prism body (attached using only four screws) so there is very little heat transmitted to the prism, so there is no restriction on how long you can observe or image using the Baader Herschel Wedge.

Though on something like a 6" f6 it can still get hot to touch (that's why Johninderby sold his 6" achromat). It's also important to point out that you shouldn't use a Herschel wedge on a Petzval-type refractor with additional lenses at the back.

All that said, if you want to get the best out of solar photography, you either need a Herschel wedge and a reasonable sized refractor or a large scope; Baader photographic film; extraordinary means of managing tube currents and very, very good seeing, all at the same time.

I use a Herschel wedge for white light on my 80mm and it is a big improvement. However, I got the much cheaper 1.25" Lunt. Much as I was tempted by this wonderful Baader 2", I could not justify the extra costs on the simple grounds that the image of the sun is so small in the focal plane at F=480mm it makes no sense to get a big wedge

Though on something like a 6" f6 it can still get hot to touch (that's why Johninderby sold his 6" achromat). It's also important to point out that you shouldn't use a Herschel wedge on a Petzval-type refractor with additional lenses at the back.

Baader say something similar in their instruction manual but you are right to mention it and I have updated our Baader Herschel Wedge product description to include your advice :smiley:

Please see notes 1. and 2. in red.

HTH,

Steve

gonna ask a silly question. can i use this on the megrez......

iv got a seymour film for the astral (quite old), a glass filter for the small dob (but its fairly old) dont really want to make a filter for same reason, i nealy bought a wedge in the astro fair in london few months ago. had my card out and everything (PST or one:P)

• 1 month later...

Archived