Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

StarTech Industrial USB Hub

daz

Just taken delivery of a StarTech USB 3.0 Industrial strength hub!

7v-40v operation, rack mountable and screw-lock cable ready...

I currently have a 4 port normal 5v hub for the FW, focuser, Lodestar and mount and a separate, active, lead for the Atik. Am hoping that this hub will mean just one lead from the computer and with enough bandwidth for all the data...

I'll report back when it's set up...

All I need now is for manufacturers to provide screw-lock connections for the devices!! :D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, I've been tempted to get one but haven't been able to justify it to myself whilst my cheapo ebay one still works :smile: Which did you get, the 4 or 7 port version?

I have a smaller version of that hub and it works a charm. Never a glitch and plenty power for all gadgets. One cable to the laptop only.

All I need now is for manufacturers to provide screw-lock connections for the devices!! :D

I made short usb cables from the hub, soldered to XLR panel mounted jacks in the pier - so the hub end cables can be secured in with tape or whatever. All USB cables have XLR ends to connect to this panel and that makes for a solid setup. One less thing that can go wrong :smiley:

/Jesper

Yeah, sure. Below you'll see two rows of sockets. The top one is four 3-pin XLR for 12V, and the bottom has two 4-pin XLR for USB (Cameras) plus two 'ordinary' USB sockets for random stuff, one holds a little USB charged torch.

gallery_16323_2313_209743.jpg

And here is the inside of the pier with a panel removed to show you. Not pretty but it works. The hub is obviously bottom left and the two camera sockets are soldered, whereas the extra USB ones only sports a normal connector in to it.

gallery_16323_2313_61419.jpg

It does work just fine, and being inside the pier, it's all shielded from dew and bumping in to.

/Jesper

So have the XLR bits got USB connectors inside or have you cut the USB plugs/sockets off the leads and soldered the leads to normal XLR pins?

All cut and soldered. (Apart from the Neutrik USB panel sockets - they have as you may just be able to see a usb b socket at the other end. Since this is protected inside the pier I thought it would be OK).

/Jesper

oh

Just a note .. Not using proper USB connectors will cause standing waves and impedance miss match on the 2 data lines for USB2 and certainly USB3. Your doing very well if it's managing to deal with those problems Jesper.

Why would that be? Standing waves of what?

I never had a single usb issue after putting this together. Ignorance is bliss perhaps.

Basically a standing waves along transmission lines are not something you want, it's reflected energy, energy that interferes with the original signal.

But it doesn't matter, if it's working OK then that's all that matters really.

Got the hub installed yesterday and all appears to work just fine!

Just some minor amendments to the cable runs and loom and then I'm all set!

Nope. These ones: http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=SC-U3MAB&cats=187&catid=187%2C102%2C188

Would be good if manufacturers incorporated sockets for these on their devices - or if there were a better USB fitting option

Nice pics Jesper :)

Interesting stuff, I just bought a bundle of XLR connectors for power distribution and was thinking about how to make the USB connections more robust. This might be just the ticket. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regards

Chris

USB has an output impedance of 45 ohms and expects an input impedance (load) of 45 ohms. I wouldn't worry about the impedance side of XLR connectors, but the capacitance might be an issue. They're not designed for 480 Mb/s. On the other hand, if it works it works...

/p

Finally got my wiring loom all sorted and neat and tidy. Happy to report that everything works just great!

The only small niggle is that my FTDI mount cable is a little snug-fitting where I had cut it short for the previous USB hub. This hub is certainly bigger than the smaller desktop version, so the angle the cable is bent at is a little tighter than I would like. New cable on order :)

I've decided to join in the fun and get one of these. How easy is it to get hold of screw lock USB cables? I did a quick search but only find one suppler on ebay from China selling 2.4m cables for £5.99 and I think a US based supplier. Does anyone know of any other good sources for these cables?

USB has an output impedance of 45 ohms and expects an input impedance (load) of 45 ohms. I wouldn't worry about the impedance side of XLR connectors, but the capacitance might be an issue. They're not designed for 480 Mb/s. On the other hand, if it works it works...

/p

Its more likely to cause a problem when hot-plugging and unplugging. The USB standard connects the power pins before data pins to prevent data loss.

Its more likely to cause a problem when hot-plugging and unplugging.

Luckily I never have to unplug and re plug anything - it works. The hub itself also has an XLR for the extension lead to the laptop, so XLR galore with zero issues. Perhaps I'm just lucky, not bothering one bit about the mysterious workings of electromagnetism. :p

/Jesper

Luckily I never have to unplug and re plug anything - it works. The hub itself also has an XLR for the extension lead to the laptop, so XLR galore with zero issues. Perhaps I'm just lucky, not bothering one bit about the mysterious workings of electromagnetism. :p

/Jesper

Hi how are you powering this,can it be powered direct from a bench power supply or does it require an adapter

Hi how are you powering this,can it be powered direct from a bench power supply or does it require an adapter

I use a couple of simple bench power supplies in my pier. The hub has screw connectors for power, and takes something like 7-24V I think.

/Jesper

XLR connectors connect pin 1 (GND) first too, so they are not unsuitable for USB use :)

In my new astrobox, which is ready to be sent for peroduction of the board, I have an internal (GL850-based) USB HUB and use a small high-side switch for the 5V supply to the outputs. Also, the actual data leads are switched by means of a special Analog Devices analog switch for USB use. Thus I can do "remote plug/unplug" of three USB devices from afar!

/per

Archived