NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I am happy

MikeWilson

I've just moved to the Isle of Man this week and a couple of nights ago I took my DSLR outside and snapped these pics.

post-6025-0-15403400-1368194770_thumb.jp

(I had to use a torch to illuminate the house so that you can see it. The orange light is one of those radiating heaters).

post-6025-0-98125100-1368193946_thumb.jp

(the sky with absolutely no gradients!)

post-6025-0-79560200-1368194031_thumb.jp

(sunset)

ISO800, 30 seconds, F3.5.

I've got no idea what the magnitude of the skies actually is, but I'm fairly sure I saw the Zodiacal light yesterday evening to the west. Let's just say these are the darkest skies I have ever seen and I was happy enough that I felt a little bit of wee. Could it be time for the corduroy trousers and elbow patches? It's only a matter of time.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Nice one Mike... is there room for an obs ? oh and a tent :D

Yes and yes :)

Very impressive Mike. I think you need to update your location in your profile! ;)

Thanks for the heads up, done! :)

Doesn't look like you'll need to go anywhere for dark skies ;).

I can forsee a huge newt / frac / mak mounted in a permanent observatory :D.

Funny you should say that, I do too. Can I get you to help me convince my missus now? ;)

Nice result Mike !!!

My move is an improvement, but not close to what you "Dont" have there if you take my meaning LOL

Thanks Earl - haven't had a chance to do any astro shizzle yet, but I can't wait to get going now it's galaxy season and I haven't done any astro-photography over my own in exactly 12 months.

All the best,

Mike

Impressive skies! Looking forward to some images when the boxes are unpacked :smiley: .

/Jesper

Thanks - I really can't wait! I have a few issues with my imaging train at the moment, not quite orthogonal and I don't have the spacing quite right and my LRGB processing skills need work but at least I can finally say that I've got some clear skies now!

Lucky man (no pun intended !) . Be over later this month for the TT staying with relatives - and you do get some nice dark skies in the country. Not jealous (ok maybe just a bit) . We share the same weather so your having as bad a time as me at the minute !

Now all you need to do is knock the house down for a good around view. I have a similar dark sky, you can't beat . I sometime wonder how many inches of telescope a dark sky is worth in relation to where someone has light pollution, I guess it could be a couple of magnitude difference. Alan

Archived