SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Double posts

JamesF

I've been seeing quite a few double posts recently and I've found that my own posts randomly fail to submit. I think what is actually happening is that the post is being submitted, but whatever "fetch" is happening before the content of the browser window is redrawn is failing, making it look like the post hasn't been submitted at all. I can't at the moment see if this is likely to be some sort of connectivity issue or a server problem.

That's my experience, anyhow. If you're seeing the same sort of thing and it looks like a post is not going through it may be worth opening a new window with the same thread in to check before hitting "post" again.

Server sysadmin chaps, if there's any information that would be useful to have to help diagnose the problem, please say.

James

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the connection with the database, or caching issues with your browser.

P.S. If you're using IE, just steer away and use a better browser :)

Caching issues with my browser probably wouldn't be causing it to happen for others, and there do seem to be a fair few people seeing the same thing. I couldn't use IE even if I wanted to though. Not on my desktop, anyhow :)

Database connection is feasible, but I really don't know. It seems odd that I'm not seeing problems anywhere except when I'm trying to post, but there's a lot of stuff going on that would have to be ruled out unless a server admin has logs to look at that record some sort of error.

James

I have experienced the same issue in the last few days using Chrome.

I'm using Chrome as well. I don't recall that there have been any Chrome updates recently, but I shall switch to Firefox for a while to see if that makes a difference.

James

It's the same with Safari for me. Looks like a server response problem. After the first click, there was no response or feedback that the click had registered. Pity there's no way for us to delete our own duplicate posts.

I'm using Chrome as well. I don't recall that there have been any Chrome updates recently, but I shall switch to Firefox for a while to see if that makes a difference.

James

Chrome is basically a caching light version of Safari.

James

Chrome is basically a caching light version of Safari.

oops..That's an example of not being able to see that the post is being posted... :)

My google chrome has slowed down so much in the past week that its putting me off posting :laugh:

Remove it and install it again...

Or switch to Mozilla.

If everybody moves away from IE and do a bit more of Firefox, our lives in web development will get much much easier ::)

Been getting the same on Firefox for the last 2 days, had to delete one duplicate post.

Seems to hang at after the Submit button is hit, some action from the progess bar at the top of the page then I am back at the Edit window as if nothing happened.

Find if I copy the reply text and go back to the thread then my reply is usually there. If not I can easily paste it back.

Seemed to start about Thursday evening.

Had assumed my browser/broadband as other hiccups have been occuring - maninly slow or incomplete loading, have displayed SGL as a set of links in a tree at least twice.

Ran a virus check and a reg cleaner last night, little better but still a few problems, nothing found in the virus check.

Also happening with Firefox on my mac. Its nothing to do with the web browser or the machine. Its something to do with the code loaded into the browser that the browser then runs. I.E something from the webserver...

When I click on 'Post', it says that it is saving the post (and the autosave time is updated) - but it leaves me in the editing window and says nothing about submitting. Checking from another window, I can see that the post is already there. Looks like a bug with the post button, or the autosaving, or the interaction between the two.

A Roger says, mods and admin are aware of this. There are some background tweaks being made to the site to improve it so hopefully it will settle down soon. We are trying to capture the double posts where possible so bear with us.

I got a triple post today - not wanting to sound smug ;) Running Firefox 20.0 on Unbuntu 12.04. Also had this from my Android mob.

Looking at the number of occurences and variety of platforms, it would look like this was a backend bug. I have also noticed a few slow downs over the last couple of weeks, so could be timeout/retransmits - though not my specific area of expertise.

I've just seen one of my posts that appeared to fail but on checking the thread had actually gone through without updating in my browser, spanned by a double post from someone else (one before, one after). Seems to suggest that the problem is consistent time-wise rather than happening randomly to individual posts.

James

Archived