Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs - Heads Up

I have managed to extract some data on Comet Panstarrs from CdC of its position and expected magnitude up to the end of May.

Some interesting dates to note are between the 3rd and 6th April, when it brushes past M31 at around the magnitude 5 mark.

Remember rise, culmination and setting tmes will vary slightly depending on where in the UK you are observing from (or significantly if elsewhere).

Hope this is useful.

C_2011 L4 Panstarrs.xlsx

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also remember the magnitudes are "predicted" and comets are notoriously hard to predict. There is quite an animated discussion on the comet newsgroup about how just bright it is going to be. Fact is no one knows. Hopefully it will be good otherwise we will have to wait for ISON.

Also remember the magnitudes are "predicted" and comets are notoriously hard to predict. There is quite an animated discussion on the comet newsgroup about how just bright it is going to be. Fact is no one knows. Hopefully it will be good otherwise we will have to wait for ISON.

Yes I appreciate the predictive nature of CdC and some revised estimates are a little more pessimistic. I would take a magnitude 3 comet as it would be only my second visible to the naked eye.

Fingers crossed it doesn't dissappoint!

That's part of the fun with comets.

You really do not know what they will be like until they perform, or NOT!

The uncertainty of it all and anticipation are two of the many things I love about this hobby.

Just been looking at the path on calsky and stellarium. For us in the UK, it is going to be annoyingly low in the west just after sunset (when it is at it's brightest at least). It gets much better/higher as we move through into April, but it is fading all the while. It don't think people realise this - most are probably expecting it to be overhead :)

Just been looking at the path on calsky and stellarium. For us in the UK, it is going to be annoyingly low in the west just after sunset (when it is at it's brightest at least). It gets much better/higher as we move through into April, but it is fading all the while. It don't think people realise this - most are probably expecting it to be overhead :)

Yes, by the time it becomes circumpolar it will be just better than magnitude 5 (assuming predictions are correct).

I think the 15th / 16th of March is the earliest chance of catching it (from the UK) but as you say, it will be low in the West.

I also wanted to flag up its close pass with M31, the Andromeda galaxy. Might be a fine binocular sight.

Clear skies!

I'm really looking forward to this one.

It's some years since I saw a naked eye comet. Living on the coast I have an excellent western horizon just 5 minutes drive away.

I seem to remember my last comet was a sungrazer that had a rather nice tail sweeping up from the twilit horizon. I'd settle for one like that :)

I did just read that Panstarrs maybe won't be visible for the naked eye. I do not have any link, but I did read it in the Sky & telescope app.

Latest I know of is that it is predicted to peak around magnitude 3 (S&T Jan 18th Update), a couple of magnitudes down on CdC's estimate. Let's hope the expected maximum magnitude isn't revised down any more.

Just thinking aloud, and but what do you all think my chances are of seeing the new moon silhouetted against Panstarrs tail? B)

SkySafari shows this as my view from Tenerife on the 13th:

post-28650-136079078234_thumb.jpg

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk HD

Archived