Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs - Heads Up

Reports from Oz are that people are seeing it with the naked eye although faint at first it gets better although it does sound borderline at times but if you have binos then it doesn't seem to be an issue.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to see it! :D The same elevation as the sun, so it was a bit tricky. I did not had enough time to photograph it, the settings messed up. Two tails. Clearly visible. I can't wait til sundar or monday when the elevation is higher, then I will be prepared!

I am no good at cameras yet. But you should have a high ISO and low f, and a exposure time for about 30 seconds, right?

probably not too high on the iso, maybe iso800 f4 30 seconds as a starting point and adjust from there. You will probably find that the remaining light from the sunset will cause the sky to overexpose or even blow out completely, so try dropping the shutter speed first if it does

am hoping for clear sky tomorrow. we're expecting high winds all day tomorrow so that should clear out the sky for us. In beijing the sky is always overcast.

either rain or winds clear it up for us.

I will go about 40km north into the mountains for this. :)

congrats on your first comet. Also a thrill when seeing something like this for the first time.

I looked last night but the sunset was very bright as no clouds down here in the desert. It might make it even trickier to see as the residual light stays for ages.

Hopefully it will still be easy to see well into next week as I have to go to Muscat this weekend and light pollution will make it impossible.

I managed to see it! :D The same elevation as the sun, so it was a bit tricky. I did not had enough time to photograph it, the settings messed up. Two tails. Clearly visible. I can't wait til sundar or monday when the elevation is higher, then I will be prepared!

Well done! Coming Tuesday is supposed to be clear here, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Should be fine, I used my old Yashica 200mm on Hyakutake and Hale Bopp. A shot of Hyakutake with 200mm is shown below

Nice pic. My first confirmed sighting of a comet was Hyakutake.

I may have seen Halley back in '85/'86 but I cant be certain. Like to think that I did though :smiley:

I'm really really hoping we get a clear spell so I can at least see, and hopefully image this comet. I remember seeing hale-bopp whilst crossing the North sea on a ferry, they turned off all the lights on the ship, it was spectacular!

been spotted in florida

Longtime amateur astronomer Jim Brant writes from Homestead, Florida, latitude 25° N: “I spotted the comet naked eye at 7 p.m. tonight (March 7). It is much fainter than recent photos from the Southern Hemisphere, which is expected as they are time exposures. It looks like a faint straight jet contrail, about a degree long and fainter than I expected. It’s a pretty sight in my f/6.25 80mm University Optics refractor at 11x. Thought you might like to know it’s finally visible here.”

Archived