SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs - Heads Up

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing visible after sunset on the west coast of Wales today. Horizon obscured slightly by a thin band of cloud but more significantly a hazy atmosphere. Suspect the latter mainly to blame. Monday night looks best in near future.

You can now get stellarium to show it really easily. In the configuration window > plugins > solar system editor. Choose comets, then MPC Comets database or similar from dropdown list, then search for whatever comet (you need full designation). Check the relevant box and click download. Alternatively dont search but click 'mark all' then download, and you have ephemerides for all the major comets over the next few years.

You can now get stellarium to show it really easily. In the configuration window > plugins > solar system editor. Choose comets, then MPC Comets database or similar from dropdown list, then search for whatever comet (you need full designation). Check the relevant box and click download. Alternatively dont search but click 'mark all' then download, and you have ephemerides for all the major comets over the next few years.

Thanks for this information I wondered how to do it. Now works with the comet details.

Mark

thank you very much for an easy to follow instruction, even i managed to do it!

Hey everyone, i just did what badgerchap suggested and it worked a beaut, thanks for the info badgerchap. I can see the comet in stellarium now, but i checked the 12th and 13th to see how close it would be to the moon and for some reason its showing the moon setting before the sun? Does anyone know why my stellarium would be showing the moon wrong like this?

Thanks for any help!

Jamie

Anyone tried spotting the comet during daylight?

Would it be bright enough to pick up in a pair of binoculars, or is it too close to the Sun to observe safely?

i would not advise anybody to try looking for it while the sun is up, one slip is all it could take.

i would not advise anybody to try looking for it while the sun is up, one slip is all it could take.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking.

Had a quick look at the comets position in Stellarium and it does seem a little too close at the moment.

Yesterday I waited for the sun to get to the horizon before I had a look. Still nothing though!

i checked the 12th and 13th to see how close it would be to the moon and for some reason its showing the moon setting before the sun? Does anyone know why my stellarium would be showing the moon wrong like this?

Thanks for any help!

Jamie

That is strange - moon should be about 20 mins (my exstimate) later than the sun on the 12th. It does set earlier on the 10th and 11th though. Very odd, don't really know what to suggest!

Will have a look for the comet after sunset tonight. Can see the sun at the moment from where I am and have seen in starry night that in one hour (20 mins after sunset) the comet will be in the same position as the sun is now. Just hope the clouds stay away.

I must have done something when i was changing the settings to make the comet visible as i have just turned my pc back on and checked again and its where it should be now! Thanks and good luck seeing the comet everyone :)

Jamie

May someone help me? I am trying to find settings for the camera so that I may shoot the comet tonight. When I set for 10 seconds, high apperture(tried low apperture too) and iso 200 (tried 800 too), the images are so bright that they almost only are white.

Archived