SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs - Heads Up

I downloaded an app for my iPhone which has shown a brightness factor of 0.2 each day for the last week. Today it is +1.2 mag so fingers crossed for this time next week heading toward -1.00 if this app is correct and comet behaves itself!

I think mag. -1 may be a bit hopeful but I am happy to be proven wrong.

Astrobits posted a visual magnitude graph with both prediction and actual observations plotted. I think it is likely to peak at about +1, which is still quite impressive and close to Cartes du Ciel's original prediction which I listed at the top of this forum.

Not long now until we get our first peek at the thing (clear skies and low Western horizon permitting!)

Let's hope it doesn't dissappoint.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen a comet since hale/bopp. that was what started it all for me. well it solidified my curiousity.

I am at 39.09 degrees north. Would it be much different than that in the UK? I have to go up north a bit because i want to get out of the city and above it as well. Beijing has some hills in the west that would block my views.

someone posted some cal sky charts. I think I need that for my own positioning.

Hope its a good one. And ISON!

first comet i saw was 1996 heading west smashing site to see my son was one then not sure of comet name though :huh:

but this time around ill drag him away from his x box thing & get him and wifey out in fresh air to see it. :Envy:

The comet you spotted in 1996 will have been Hale Bopp. PanStarrs will not be anything near as bright

Initially there will be little time to observe it each evening but as March rolls on into April, Panstarrs will set later and later due to its increasing declination. It eventually becomes circumpolar but will only be possible in binoculars by then.

A lot will depend on cloud cover (obviously) and having a good low horizon. While at its brightest, you will only be able to observe it in twighlight. It may be touch and go depending on how its magnitude holds (or otherwise) with regards to seeing it unaided.

Archived