Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lyra Optic 4" f11

foundaplanet

Today I took delivery of the Lyra Optic 4" f11 Refractor. It arrived in under 24hrs of ordering and came very well packaged.

It appears that these scopes are attracting quite a bit of interest so I am going to attempt a review. I have not done one before so please bear with me.

The package is the scope and a 50mm finder bracket.

post-13491-0-76233600-1356023258_thumb.j

I had for a while been considering getting myself an apo waiting on the sale of another hobby item to fund my venture. So I started to do some research.

Initially after doing much reading on the internerd and here on SGL I started to wonder if I was starting to get a little bit too fussy as I age. In my searching I kept reading about how good the Tal is for the money, then my brain kept saying 'you can save yourself a sack full here'. Then I started to think about a compromise with the Skywatcher 100 ED (CA, CA, it'll do your head in!). So that was it, I'd made the decision it was going to be the 100ED. So then I get the money and I can buy one, then I start thinking through it all again.. :grin: UWA eyepieces rattling around my brain.

What I like in my toys is good build quality, as a cabinet maker I just can't stand shoddy workmanship.

It was nightfisher who properly brought my attention to the Lyra so I went off again to do some more reading on this scope in all of its various branded names across the world made and supplied for by Kunming Optics. It keeps on coming up as a very fine achromat that is made very very well and it is. It is currently sitting on my eq6 here in the living room and from having had a good look and inspection of it, I am so far thrilled with it.

post-13491-0-49649600-1356027572_thumb.j post-13491-0-25056600-1356027722_thumb.j post-13491-0-19347900-1356027786_thumb.j

The focuser is a delight, it feels far better than the one on my OO Newt and far better than the one on my WO70ED. I can not actually believe how good it is, it is very definite and solid. It is also rotating.

post-13491-0-53791500-1356028321_thumb.j post-13491-0-62536600-1356028359_thumb.j

The tube rings and dovetail plate are CNC aluminium. The ring hinges are a real joy, they stay where they are when you take your hand away, with no slop or movement around the pin. The locking screws of of good quality and function well. You know as you screw them down there is no need to over tighten them, they are firm and trustworthy. The topside of the rings also have threaded holes and I have read that some people utilise these by fitting a carrying handle.

post-13491-0-74897900-1356029258_thumb.j post-13491-0-74554200-1356029311_thumb.j

The lens, I don't know much about them but its clean and from shining a light on it looks very evenly bluish dontknow.gif. Looking down the tube it is nicely baffled and cleanly finished. The dew shield is retractable and has a small locking screw to be applied only once the tube is extended otherwise this would mark the ota if applied when down. The lens cap I like, it is also aluminium and is threaded so there is no chance of this falling off.

post-13491-0-11439900-1356030361_thumb.j

And here is the beauty mounted on my eq 6.

Overall I am astounded at the quality of the build on this scope it takes the build quality on my newt apart. There are absolutely no machine marks or seams anywhere to be seen. Everything is firm and everything fits. The only piece of plastic is the cover for the eyepiece holder. The paintwork and finish is superb. So far I really can not find a fault with it and I have tried. Maybe, I could say the dew shield has a tad of flop in it but this is not there if it is slightly retracted.

The only thing that remains is to get first light, this it seems could take an age. I will follow that up when it happens so I expect that will be next year :confused1:.

Thanks......

Happy Christmas....

icon_santa.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, a proper looking frac, i wish you well for a decent first light (post apocalypse)

I had a moment today where i was tempted to jump in the car and go and pick one up :eek: but i have to clear scopes out, not just continue to add them

That is a gorgeous looking telescope, Foundaplanet! The focuser and optics look the business and I really like the style of the tube rings. To be honest, just looking at the fotos the quality of finish does seem to be a good, decent notch above that of the Tal 100rs. I haven't read a lot about this telescope but everything I have read just as you say, keeps getting the thumbs up. So glad Jules was on the case to point this little gem out.

Have you decided what kind of finder you fancy for the OTA? My only recommendation here would be a correct image one which makes star-hopping so much easier.

I know myself and a few other are waiting with baiited breath to hear about your first light report, so here's wishing you clear skies. If they don't come, you can always send me the OTA to sunny Spain and just this once, by way of a favour, I really, really won't mind undertaking such an arduous task :icon_razz:

Thank you for your comments..:)

It looks even better this morning! I'm not sure what it is or why, there is it seems something very proper about having a long tubed traditional white refractor.

Qualia, I do have a couple of finders which will do for now, as you say a correct image may be a good idea but for the moment at least it will be on the goto until I get sorted with an alt/az head.

I've just spoke to Glen at Lyra and now have my finger on the button to buy a 4" f/11 Lyra, just waiting for a call from the wife to get the final go ahead! :)

I havent broached the subjects of building a pier in the middle of the lawn yet but I'II cross that bridge when I get to it. :grin:

Congratulations, Your new scope is a cracker!

The build quality on the 4" F11 from Lyra Optics is absolutely superb, I found the focuser to be just as good as my moonlite shod scopes. Fantastic value for the money. Best reasonably priced 4" achromat you can get. The tal 100rs is a fine scope but cannot match the mechanicals and finish of the Lyra scope. Big thumbs up to Glen for bringing this one to our shores.

cheers

Dave

Nice scope that,(not quite long enough IMO :grin: being a 4" F15 user) it'll give you some nice lunar, planetary and double star views. I can vouch for the build quality on teh tube and furniture, they are well made. Look forward to a 1st light report

I've just spoke to Glen at Lyra and now have my finger on the button to buy a 4" f/11 Lyra, just waiting for a call from the wife to get the final go ahead! :)

Glen has been good enough to inform me about his stock levels - and the 4" f/11 scopes he has seem to be going like hot cakes. I imagine he is referring to foundaplanet and now you in quick succession. We were joking that it must be the cloudy weather. Not enough observing and too much drooling.

So Mike, I imagine you "won her over". Any tips you can share ... :grin:

And everyone who has complimented Glen on what a fine guy he is, I can only add to that. So generous with his time and advice. He has been fantastic in supplying me with information about his 4" f/11 and scopes and mounts in general, with no pressure to make a sale. I fully recommend him .

I guess I will have to wait for a new consignment of 4" f/11 scopes from Kumning if I decide to go for one, because I just don't want to be rushed. Lyra whispering longingly in one ear, TAL singing sweetly in the other.

-Tony

Tony

So Mike, I imagine you "won her over". Any tips you can share ... :grin:

Sorry I missed this before..... A woman can never have too many new shoes Tony. :grin:

Just signed for my Lyra :icon_compress:

Forecast looks like clearish skies for tomorrow night so fingers crossed for its first light then. :)

post-20821-0-83347200-1356687388_thumb.j

Just signed for my Lyra icon_compress.gif

Forecast looks like clearish skies for tomorrow night so fingers crossed for its first light then. smile.gif

I do hope you are right. Not had mine out yet.

The only decent chance was on Christmas night and that would not have gone down very well.

Still waiting for the opportunity to get first light. Its been one long week on the astro front.

Yes I've been keeping an eye on the weather around Lincolnshire waiting for your First Light Report.

Unfortunately I think you've got a case of "New Scope Weather Curse" bad. It's been like this for days around your neck of the woods!

post-27346-0-34000800-1356766716_thumb.j

Tony

Archived